Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #271
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Maybe then you are becoming set in your ways.
Maybe I have useful knowledge concerning the subject at hand. But in one regard you may have a point, as you are fairly new around here there's a good chance you don't know the story behind my nick name. The "Cob" part of it stands for "Crabby old bastard", don't forget the "Mr."

I hope that translates into humor a Limy such as yourself can relate to, I know the mates I met and rode with whilst in the the UK last May got a kick out of it, then again perhaps its a Yankee thing.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #272
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Bokad wrote:

(1) Ural has been making the SAME bike for 70 years. You think they would have worked out the bugs by now...
But they have! The latest models are a lot better than the previous ones. It is the 1940 design/technology that is kept fairly original that prevents modernizing the rig as you would like it to be.

(3) Lots of Ural people agree the bikes are not reliable and require frequent maintenance, their motto is 'I like how this sucks!'. Why so angry when I say it then?
Because you are missing the point entirely! Some people appreciate a vintage machine with its charachter flaws and limitations and the allure/thrill is not (frequent) maintenance, it is the ability of servicing it yourself in places without traditional support or tools.

(4) Hubert, the round the world Ural traveller is a super guy and one of a kind. Literally. No one else wants to travel the world on a Ural.
I'd do it tomorrow if I could. Hell, I split Utah on a bicycle and now I am touring Central America on a 2 stroke scooter. It is not the vehicle that limits you it is the lack of time and finances. I know I will do it eventually (I hope!)

(5) I'm going to sell this POS Ural. So you can stop saying 'you should sell it!'. 10 times was enough.
Don't you realize that every time you refer to it as POS you offend people? Why not refer to it as a bike that does not fit your needs? Once it took me 9 hrs to go from Miami to Key West on a '69 Bonneville that broke down every 45 miles. Took it back to Miami in the back of a truck swearing like a sailor, but I knew I should have taken the R75/7 instead as I hadn't gone thru the electrics of the Trumpet yet and, sure thing, the Prince of Darkness cast his spell on me.

(6) Some people say "(IMZ/Ural, my dealer, the community) are great people!" I agree! Their product sucks for the price though. Strange that some peopel can't separate a critique of the product from a critique of the people that work at the company that makes it.
It is an unique piece! It doesn't suck for the price just like my new vintage Vespa made in India clone. It is worth every penny to me and I hope I can keep it 4 ever. You simply do not have an appreciation for certain objects. "De gustibus disputandum non est" used to say the Romans.

(7) This thread is not called 'complaints about bokad's Ural'. Nor is it called 'you guys who already own Urals should decide to not like them'. It's call 'Why you shouldn't buy a Ural' It's not about my bikes. It's about Urals in general and their systematic low quality.
It's a free country and you are entitled to voice your opinions and I appreciate your point of view. Perhaps you were too quick in extending your personal (negative) experience to the entire brand.

(8) I say again, Ural's, in general, have systematic low quality.
No! Systematic 1940 quality. The day that they Japanize it, I will no longer be interested. After all, do you stay up at night dreaming of firing up your computerized espresso machine at dawn? No, but I can't wait to be up and go over my old school scooter to see if I will make it up a volcano today!

(9) Many people have private messaged me to express their support and that they wanted to say the same thing but without invoking the wrath of the foil heads. Thanks. I myself wish I had used another alias to post this.
What is this the Hack Mafia that people are afraid to speak out? Davide is my real first name, by the way. Davide Ulivieri is my full name.

(10) Some people are still clinging on to "but that could happen on any bike". Yep, could, but it happens more often on a Ural. Or do you think that there is no quality difference between brands, that they are all exactly the same?
Of course not. But all 1940 machines share many of the same issues... read "Rebuilding the Indian" , talk about frustrations and expenses! Great book, btw.

(11) If you complain about Urals and don't own one the fanboys will say you don't know what you're talking about. If you do own one they say you are just whining about your bike. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Aw, come on. We are all here because we are addicted to 2 wheels and we live our passion with passion.

(12) Some people are trying to fault me for not doing proper service. All scheduled service on both my Urals has been done by a Ural dealer.
Lets not start with the horror stories about dealer service! Once I took my Cagiva Gran Canyon to Motomeccanica in Santa Rosa, California, and....! Just kidding, they always did a good job.

(13) Some people are upset that I have smeared the fine reputation of Russian manufacturing. None have stepped forward to claim it's not true. It's so backwards to see Americans defending Russian quality! What has the world come to? I'm going to guess that most of the fanboys know exactly 0 about Russia through first hand experience.
I've spent over a year in Russia. I own an apartment there. I have many good Russian friends.
I have a Russian girlfriend. She was the first person to tell me Urals were crap. Her father was the second. He's owned one too. Strange that it doesn't bother the Russians that I know when I say that Russian quality is crap but it seems to upset you guy alot. You want to hear some really creative swearing, ask a Russian what he thinks about the quality of Russian cars or anything else! You want to hear authentic Russian laughter, tell a Russian that you paid $12,000 (that 400,000 rubles!) for a Ural motorcycle. They'll be rolling for hours! You're a sucker. Think you're cool or unique because because you bought an overpriced off the shelf bike that can't even sell in it's own country? Even cooler because you cling to Soviet symbols and words? That's just sad. In America you're cool if you have Ural motorcycle. In Russia you're cool if you don't. Strange world.
Well, I am an Italian American and I do not feel that defending Russian quality is backwards. The cold war is over and we are one people and one planet. Peace on earth.
Moreover, criticizing your own country is often the national sport in some regions of Europe... Ask any Italian or Spanish or Greek what they think of Fiat, Seat, Lambretta, their own gov, etc. and they will reply that it is shit! The Ural in Russia suffers from the stigma of being a basic vehicle that was built for the masses. Here in Costa Rica the scooter I ride is the bike of the poor that cannot afford a car and need to take their wife and child with them, so the step thru design is more user friendly than a regular motorcycle. They constantly ask why a foreigner that has better means would want such a POS...! It is because they see it from a totally different point of view, one often affected by extreme poverty and the stress related to scratching a living in an underprivileged nation where opportunities are not just limited, but often non existent. Go to Capri on vacation and the locals will tell you how much they dream of leaving this horrible island where there is no hope of doing anything other than waiting on rich tourists that treat them like shit. Does that make Capri a nasty place to travel to on your honeymoon?

Bueno, Bokad, are we still friends? I hope so. After all, we are all in the same brotherhood... One planet, one ride, one people, one love, one Ural!

Ride safe, everybody and Hasta la Vista!

davide screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 12:06 PM
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #273
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Maybe I have useful knowledge concerning the subject at hand. But in one regard you may have a point, as you are fairly new around here there's a good chance you don't know the story behind my nick name. The "Cob" part of it stands for "Crabby old bastard", don't forget the "Mr."

I hope that translates into humor a Limy such as yourself can relate to, I know the mates I met and rode with whilst in the the UK last May got a kick out of it, then again perhaps its a Yankee thing.
I am still a member of the Shovelhead forum and have been awarded one of the original COB patches, on that forum means, Cheap Old Bastard.

BTW anything said on the internet is words on a screen to me.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #274
smelick
Once you hack...

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post

I have a Russian girlfriend. She was the first person to tell me Urals were crap. Her father was the second. He's owned one too. Strange that it doesn't bother the Russians that I know when I say that Russian quality is crap but it seems to upset you guy alot. You want to hear some really creative swearing, ask a Russian what he thinks about the quality of Russian cars or anything else! You want to hear authentic Russian laughter, tell a Russian that you paid $12,000 (that 400,000 rubles!) for a Ural motorcycle. They'll be rolling for hours! You're a sucker. Think you're cool or unique because because you bought an overpriced off the shelf bike that can't even sell in it's own country? Even cooler because you cling to Soviet symbols and words? That's just sad. In America you're cool if you have Ural motorcycle. In Russia you're cool if you don't. Strange world.
How strange, I'm American and I still feel the same way about American motorcycles! (and cars).

We shall laugh at each other then!

-Scott

http://www.scooter-sidecars.com/
smelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #275
Mr. Cob

Quote:
I am still a member of the Shovelhead forum and have been awarded one of the original COB patches, on that forum means, Cheap Old Bastard.

BTW anything said on the internet is words on a screen to me.
To paraphrase a line from the movie Patton, As one Cob to another, here's hoping our trails cross one day whilst riding and we can tip a pint at the pub. I am sure we could bore each other to death exchanging tall tales, nuanced stories and out right lies, then again we just might enjoy the exchange.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #276
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

I am sure we could, but dont forget that any tale (short or tall) has to carry the obligatory 10% exaggeration allowance
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #277
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,141
Awwww!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #278
Mr. Cob

Quote:
I am sure we could, but dont forget that any tale (short or tall) has to carry the obligatory 10% exaggeration allowance
Howdy Billtr96sn,

Only "10%" damn you Brits are still stuck in the dark ages we Yanks always lather on at least 50%.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #279
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Nope no lies here. When Urals were first imported to the UK I was a mechanic in one of the stockists, they were total rubbish and I was embarressed to admit I worked on them. The Dneprs and Nevals were eaqually as bad. I go back 30 years with these hunks of junk and I shit on your 10 years. I hadnt mentioned CJ's, but I know them to be shit as well.
60 mph on a 650 or 750 and you feel the need to be pleased?? I wouldnt shout too loud. I also own a 1957 500cc Matchless (G80) with a large Watsonian attached and that cruises at a easy 80mph.

I think you need to slow down and put your mind into gear instead of coasting along in neutral.
Easy 80 I have ridden a G-80, my Bridgestone 175 with chambers was faster.

I dont own a Ural, but I can see the attraction. My old man had a little farm he played around on after he retired. He had two tractors, a late Massey and a 1939 hand crank John Deere H. I saw him on the Massey maybe 3 or 4 times plowing or mowing, I saw him on the JD every time I visited. I suspect the Ural attraction is much the same.

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 12:42 PM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #280
Excndez
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Bokad,
I hope you sell your Urals get the most you can and move on. You screaming from the mountain top about the Ural being a piece of shit is funny to me. I thought most people already knew it.

I didn't know what a Ural was 14 months ago. I did some checking around and reading and bought a gear up 13 months ago. I have 11,000 completely trouble free km's on mine now, oh wait the pos speedo/odo is off by what percentage? Maybe not 11,000 km's then.lol

Here's is what I said and posted about my Ural experience. For a sidecar motorcycle that was tested under battlefield conditions this thing really is a piece of shit off road. It's geared so high in 1st gear that the clutch needs to have the hell flogged out of it to climb anything remotely steep. The 2wd is almost worthless unless you are just in really deep sand (haven't done snow yet). The thing is so gutless it can't get out of it's own shadow in much of a hurry. I got blasted by the "old guard" when I stated this on another forum. I could care less what they thought. If you have ridden a Ural you know what I'm saying is true.

With all of that being said I still love my $12,500.00, shitty brakes POS. I got what I paid for AND expected. It's really hard for me to believe anyone would actually by a solo. The Ural is only "cool" because it has a sidecar. As just a motorcycle I see no point.

It also doesn't surprise me that you are getting attacked, eerr, I mean the response you are getting. I understand you have had nothing but problems with both of yours, but I have had nothing but pleasure with mine.

Now if I could just figure out how to change the air filter element in less time than it takes to an oil change, re-torque the heads, and set the valve clearance I could truly be a happy man.

fight on boys.....

BTW... I thought you were considered a pussy IF you washed your Ural???? NO??? Maybe that was the "other" forum.LOL
1970 CT70hko x 6
Excndez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #281
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excndez View Post
BIG SNIP
BTW... I thought you were considered a pussy IF you washed your Ural???? NO??? Maybe that was the "other" forum.LOL
Howdy Excndez,

OK here we are having a clam discussion and YOU bring cuss words into the thread, if your going to start talking about "washing" or God-Dog forbid "waxing" one your going to have a cybephucking war on your hands. How dare you use the word wash and Ural in the same conversation, blasphemer, heretic, be gone you soulless creature..................

Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #282
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Well I have been absent and silent for a while.
When I decided to buy a Ural I went to Soviet Steeds website and read every entry, yes every entry.
I bought an 08 gear up, on the sales pitch of hertzog gears, SKF bearings etc etc.
I embraced the whole experience, knowing full well the maintenance requirements. none of that bothered me.

Then little things began to happen, rear brake switch went, one, twice, thrice. I wound up buying a job lot from the Ukraine. (still have some actually)

then the starter motor went for the first time, at close to 400 including shipping and nothing else in the motoring world even comes close to being a replacement, to quote the auto electrician "a crap design made with piss poor components"

I will not bother you with the many minor things, lets get to the first cylinder rebuild at 8000k, the circlip came of the gudgeon pin and scored the bore. no worries, all fixed under warranty, bike was off the road for 6 weeks.

at about 9500k the motor seized 300 kilometres from home, tow trucks hire of a car trailer etc around $1500,
now this happened about 2 months out of warranty, to the importers credit he offered to supply parts if I paid labour.

Took the bike to his mechanic six hours away, overnight stay and then back.
great except I was there when the motor was stripped down, those SKF bearings? nowhere to be found, good old russian bearings right through. (the circlip was the old pig tail type incorrectly installed at the factory so the gudgeon pin actually wore it down)

Back home and happy as .... oh wait speedo stopped working, now the drive gears stripped, "oh yes some of the bikes have had that, too much end play on the output shaft to the cush drive", nothing stripping the swing arm off could not fix.

By now it must be time for the starter motor to stuff up again right? yes indeed, $400 donation, all fixed.

So the bike has a re built engine (by a sober mechanic using SKF bearings) life is good.

Oh a new rear tyre every 4000 kilometres,

I really loved the bike, I really hated that it was not what the brochure had promised.

A go anywhere all day long adventure. if only.

This is not about bagging the bike, it is about delivering on the bike that is so glowingly written about in the sales pitch.

I would buy a Ural tomorrow without hesitation IF it was the sturdy go anywhere bike it is portrayed to be.

I can only speak from my experience with the product, I am sure I have forgotten many other things that went wrong, the bike has been sold and replaced with a Kawasaki, and on the kawasaki forum you should hear the problems they have, I heard a squeak, the stereo needs bigger speakers, How can I connect my Ipod? oh the torment.

ride safe.
Sean

PS I delivered the bike to the new owner and guess what? the bloody starter would not work.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #283
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Nope no lies here. When Urals were first imported to the UK I was a mechanic in one of the stockists, they were total rubbish and I was embarressed to admit I worked on them. The Dneprs and Nevals were eaqually as bad. I go back 30 years with these hunks of junk and I shit on your 10 years. I hadnt mentioned CJ's, but I know them to be shit as well.
60 mph on a 650 or 750 and you feel the need to be pleased?? I wouldnt shout too loud. I also own a 1957 500cc Matchless (G80) with a large Watsonian attached and that cruises at a easy 80mph.

I think you need to slow down and put your mind into gear instead of coasting along in neutral.

Troll.

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #284
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Troll? why?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #285
milesmcewing
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I guess it's the
"your experience may vary"

I bought my Ural specifically to do our South America trip. We are at 33,000 km so far.

My bike is a 2009 Patrol, only modification is wider handlebars. Otherwise completely stock
My wife and I are both 'big' people and with a full load we have only had a couple of broken spokes. Big pothole,flat tire!

Otherwise not one problem. nothing from Canada to Argentina and back to Europe and the UK.
Seen and fixed lots of other bikes along the way.

www.smilesandmiles.com

Sorry yours did not work.

I suspect the size of the user base vs. the various forums for other bikes make the Ural look worse.

I don't like a pile of maintenance either but the Ural is quick to adjust and quick to maintain. I'm a happy guy.

Cheers
Miles
milesmcewing is offline   Reply With Quote