User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #286
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 605

Great post!

I've been tossing around the idea of a Ural Solo and have heard some bad things but this takes the cake! I love vintage bikes and all but if I'm going to be dishing out 7 grand I'd rather buy a modern bike that I will be comfortable using as a daily ride and exploring on weekends.

Time to find a KLR

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #287
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Troll? why?
You must be a numb sort.

You shit on somebody's 10 years of experience with a particular type of rig? I don't know you, but I do know the poster of the message you commented on. Years in any profession does not make YOU an expert.

If I had a problem related to anything with an engine, immulmen would be in the top three I would ask for advise. If you have seen some of the wrenching threads on SS by him, you might be kinder.

I don't know who on this forum can speak for your real knowledge(30 years?), since I've seen mechanics with that experience that still suck. (not saying that you do,but somebody else might know, but I don't care)

All I see from you is a bunch of keyboard karate, kung-fool crap slander.

Now go drink a warm beer.

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #288
immulmen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
You must be a numb sort.

You shit on somebody's 10 years of experience with a particular type of rig? I don't know you, but I do know the poster of the message you commented on. Years in any profession does not make YOU an expert.

If I had a problem related to anything with an engine, immulmen would be in the top three I would ask for advise. If you have seen some of the wrenching threads on SS by him, you might be kinder.

I don't know who on this forum can speak for your real knowledge(30 years?), since I've seen mechanics with that experience that still suck. (not saying that you do,but somebody else might know, but I don't care)

All I see from you is a bunch of keyboard karate, kung-fool crap slander.

Now go drink a warm beer.

-T

I think I will, I like warm Beer sometimes!
Thanks Tom.
By the way how many kilometers do you have on you Ural now and isn't it a 2011?
Chris
immulmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #289
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
What I have found in my 48 years of life is that if anyone tells you they are an expert, a pro, or totally experienced. That in most cases they are full of
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #290
fringedweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie View Post
Well I have been absent and silent for a while.
When I decided to buy a Ural I went to Soviet Steeds website and read every entry, yes every entry.
I bought an 08 gear up, on the sales pitch of hertzog gears, SKF bearings etc etc.
I embraced the whole experience, knowing full well the maintenance requirements. none of that bothered me.

Then little things began to happen, rear brake switch went, one, twice, thrice. I wound up buying a job lot from the Ukraine. (still have some actually)

then the starter motor went for the first time, at close to 400 including shipping and nothing else in the motoring world even comes close to being a replacement, to quote the auto electrician "a crap design made with piss poor components"

I will not bother you with the many minor things, lets get to the first cylinder rebuild at 8000k, the circlip came of the gudgeon pin and scored the bore. no worries, all fixed under warranty, bike was off the road for 6 weeks.

at about 9500k the motor seized 300 kilometres from home, tow trucks hire of a car trailer etc around $1500,
now this happened about 2 months out of warranty, to the importers credit he offered to supply parts if I paid labour.

Took the bike to his mechanic six hours away, overnight stay and then back.
great except I was there when the motor was stripped down, those SKF bearings? nowhere to be found, good old russian bearings right through. (the circlip was the old pig tail type incorrectly installed at the factory so the gudgeon pin actually wore it down)

Back home and happy as .... oh wait speedo stopped working, now the drive gears stripped, "oh yes some of the bikes have had that, too much end play on the output shaft to the cush drive", nothing stripping the swing arm off could not fix.

By now it must be time for the starter motor to stuff up again right? yes indeed, $400 donation, all fixed.

So the bike has a re built engine (by a sober mechanic using SKF bearings) life is good.

Oh a new rear tyre every 4000 kilometres,

I really loved the bike, I really hated that it was not what the brochure had promised.

A go anywhere all day long adventure. if only.

This is not about bagging the bike, it is about delivering on the bike that is so glowingly written about in the sales pitch.

I would buy a Ural tomorrow without hesitation IF it was the sturdy go anywhere bike it is portrayed to be.

I can only speak from my experience with the product, I am sure I have forgotten many other things that went wrong, the bike has been sold and replaced with a Kawasaki, and on the kawasaki forum you should hear the problems they have, I heard a squeak, the stereo needs bigger speakers, How can I connect my Ipod? oh the torment.

ride safe.
Sean

PS I delivered the bike to the new owner and guess what? the bloody starter would not work.
Sean, The starter motor took 2 hours and $7 to repair, still going strong. Like most things, simple fix, just have to nut it out.
PS Thanks for the full jerrycan of juice.
fringedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #291
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by immulmen View Post
I think I will, I like warm Beer sometimes!
Thanks Tom.
By the way how many kilometers do you have on you Ural now and isn't it a 2011?
Chris
About 35,000KM's. All smiles per mile!

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #292
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,858
Well since everyone from Steeds is hanging out here, I will take the opportunity to say that we're trying to get a sidecar buddy tag game going over here on ADV Rider. Somebody throw a monkey in your hack and show us a post office!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791244

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #293
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,085
Meh, i'm gonna go ride my HD....

Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #294
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Only fourteen posts so far today? Let's get some life back in this thread!

I'm going to make ten statements of pure fact. I dare anyone to differ with anything that follows in this post:

1. Urals are overpriced and they break down all the time.
  2. Singles are not suitable for highway use.
  3. People who ride GS's are posers with too much money on their hands.
  4. Harleys are the best bikes, period. Anything else sucks.
  5. Synthetic oils are for pussies.
  6. Touring on anything with less than 650cc is ridiculous and can't be done.
  7. Fat guys and old guys have no business on a motorcycle.
  8. Chicks can't ride.
  9. Motorcycles were way better 30 years ago. Men were men then- guys on new bikes are pussies.
  10. Urals are great value for the money and are rugged and reliable.
#11. Extra credit: "Goodfellas" is better than "The Godfather" by half.

Someone just etch these in stone, willya?

You are one funny dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those facts aren't so pure.

I like your style, which is an attribute I've always admired in fat, old, over-priced 1970 250cc AMF harley motorcycle riding in the RH lane transexuals that use synthetic oil for "lubrication." Good on ya!!!!!

I do like older bikes, but must admit I always envied the RUB's (See Note #1) that could afford the newer stuff - But I still called them pussies. So, I guess I have to fess up .........#9 is true.

And, since I am sure I only got one correct and I need the extra credit - "Goodfellas."

Note 1 Definition R.U.B. Rich Urban Biker

Attributes:
1. Generally over 35
2. Generally overweight by at least 20 lbs
3. Has a man-gina (See note 2)
4. Generally has no real riding skill, but likes to look good on it for his women, wears the latest styles, leather, Klim - you know the type

Note 2 Definition Man-gina; Modern day version of a goatee; commonly found on older post mid-life crisis gentlemen, also generally grey - unless died.

Can I add these 2 points to my air miles? Please ?????? Or, am I assuming too much?

DavePave screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 05:50 PM
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #295
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher Bob View Post
Meh, i'm gonna go ride my HD....

I heard you shouldn't buy those. I think there's a thread somewhere...
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #296
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
What?

Why you all still here?

Didn't you get bokads memo on SS? This thread is "officially closed".

Go home.

Really.

The absolute Ural supreamo has enlightened us, there's nothing more to say.

You!

Yes you!

Get the lights.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #297
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
(7) This thread is not called 'complaints about bokad's Ural'. Nor is it called 'you guys who already own Urals should decide to not like them'. It's call 'Why you shouldn't buy a Ural' It's not about my bikes. It's about Urals in general and their systematic low quality.

This thread IS about "complaints about Bokad's Ural, or Bokad's view on Urals based on HIS observations
'. You are relaying the issues YOU are having with YOUR bike, as well as a minority hodge podge of some others' issues.
There may very well be some truth to SOME of the "facts" you have posted. However, if you desire to make your claims as fact, please do the research (not just YOUR bike and not just web surfing) and post some cold hard numbers.

Until such time, I respect YOUR opinion.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #298
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
(7) This thread is not called 'complaints about bokad's Ural'. Nor is it called 'you guys who already own Urals should decide to not like them'. It's call 'Why you shouldn't buy a Ural' It's not about my bikes. It's about Urals in general and their systematic low quality.

This thread IS about "complaints about Bokad's Ural, or Bokad's view on Urals based on HIS observations
'. You are relaying the issues YOU are having with YOUR bike, as well as a minority hodge podge of some others' issues.
There may very well be some truth to SOME of the "facts" you have posted. However, if you desire to make your claims as fact, please do the research (not just YOUR bike and not just web surfing) and post some cold hard numbers.

Until such time, I respect YOUR opinion.
Actually I think he was claiming his opinion as facts. Seemed pretty lame to me.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #299
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Actually I think he was claiming his opinion as facts. Seemed pretty lame to me.
You will note that IsAmOzzie was able to express his dissatisfaction with his Ural in a clear concise manner, and he has received no negative feedback on his post.

This illustrates the difference between a mature adult expressing his own experiences and opinions, and that of a spoiled kid who feels that he has the right to pass incontrovertible judgments on Urals, their owners, and entire nations.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #300
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringedweller View Post
Sean, The starter motor took 2 hours and $7 to repair, still going strong. Like most things, simple fix, just have to nut it out.
PS Thanks for the full jerrycan of juice.
How about showing it off? I'm guessing you have stripped it down from how Sean (g'day Sean!) had it? I still want that horn he had on it...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote