Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #646
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You get to ride your wife's Ural too!? I thought I was the only one. I no longer ask for permission, I just ask for forgiveness.:)

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
She is in the hack most times, she is a brain trauma survivor (auto accident) who loves to ride and I dont like her on the back of my Buell, she says she can ride on the Buell. I do want a GearUp but lack the funds since I refuse to give up other toys. Urals are great and it is sad to see Bokad feel burned.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #647
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Urals new improved model??

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #648
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Urals new improved model??

Howdy Bill,

That's the new four hoof drive model, where did you get that spy photo its still underdevelopment and not due to be released for a few years.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #649
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Jeezus!

Only 1 horsepower! I thought my KLR rig was underpowered!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #650
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,948
Alternative fuel model, eh?...hmmm. Seem's up in horsepower, too.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #651
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Alternative fuel model, eh?...hmmm. Seem's up in horsepower, too.
Howdy Heyload,

Rumor has it that the "high performance" model will be fueled by grain alcohol.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #652
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
When did 10-15k for a bike with a sidecar become a lot of money? It seems people are cheap as fuck.

As the price of EVERYTHING has increased, my salary has not. That's why I consider it a lot of money. Had my salary kept pace with the price increases of everything, it is not likely I would consider it a lot of money.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #653
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
But the new hybrid URal has tons of torque and all leg drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Only 1 horsepower! I thought my KLR rig was underpowered!
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #654
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
As the price of EVERYTHING has increased, my salary has not. That's why I consider it a lot of money. Had my salary kept pace with the price increases of everything, it is not likely I would consider it a lot of money.
Howdy Paint Shaker,

NOT to turn this into a political diatribe, but monetary policies that have seen a marked reduction in MOST folks wages and their ability to buy goods isn't the fault of manufacturers of ANY product and that includes Ural's.

I can remember when in 1969 I bought a brand new Chevell SS, 375 HP 396, 4 speed, bucket seats and full rally pack instrumentation for $3,200.00; in 1982 I bought a brand new Harley FXWG for $5,100.00 those days my friend are LONG GONE gas was also 28 cents a gallon for premium.

Hell yes 15 grand is a lot of money but don't blame Ural for the price, OUR money isn't worth near what it was and there is only the phucking government and international bankers greed to toss that turd at.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #655
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Paint Shaker,

NOT to turn this into a political diatribe, but monetary policies that have seen a marked reduction in MOST folks wages and their ability to buy goods isn't the fault of manufacturers of ANY product and that includes Ural's.

I can remember when in 1969 I bought a brand new Chevell SS, 375 HP 396, 4 speed, bucket seats and full rally pack instrumentation for $3,200.00; in 1982 I bought a brand new Harley FXWG for $5,100.00 those days my friend are LONG GONE gas was also 28 cents a gallon for premium.

Hell yes 15 grand is a lot of money but don't blame Ural for the price, OUR money isn't worth near what it was and there is only the phucking government and international bankers greed to toss that turd at.
I don't see how he was blaming Ural for anything. He simply said it was a lot of money for him.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #656
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I don't see how he was blaming Ural for anything. He simply said it was a lot of money for him.
Howdy MotoJ,

I never said he blamed Ural for the price increase but MANY have harped on the price increase of Ural's as if those who make it are becoming rich at the expense of their customers. One look at the company headquarters in Redmond, the cloths they wear, the cars they drive, etc would show that the folks who own and run the Ural company are a very LEAN team.

They have to buy and pay CASH for each after market component they install on the rig, they buy in such small quantities they don't get much if any break on the cost of parts, the dollars they receive in payment for rigs sold in the US aren't' worth what they used to be so their cost of production continues to rise. Comparatively the cost of a new 2012 rig is CHEAPER then what it would cost to buy and install all the up-grades of the last 6 years onto an older rig assuming you bought the 2004 or older rig new.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #657
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Gotcha.

Being in a competitive manufacturing industry myself, I don't know how Ural makes any money at all, especially without the economy of scale that volume sales affords. The guys on the bench in Irbit must be living on taters.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #658
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
Well, it ustabe that once upon a time that a motorcycle was a cheap mode of transportation, especially for poor young guys just starting out. It was my first ride as a 15 year old. But that doesn't mean folks didn't buy motorcycles way back when just for fun, too.
Now, it doesn't matter who you are, a motorcycle is not a necessity for those of us in the idustrialized world, it is a toy.
For the price of a new Retro or Gear-Up, there are three models of Kia cars that are cheaper and two models of Honda cars that are just a few hundred more. Kias have a 100,000 mile warranty and Hondas probably have the best reliablility of anything made.
But, yeah, in this day and age, there's no reason that anything sold in the USA should be a crap-shoot regardless where it's made, especially if it costs as much as a car.
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #659
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Gotcha.

Being in a competitive manufacturing industry myself, I don't know how Ural makes any money at all, especially without the economy of scale that volume sales affords. The guys on the bench in Irbit must be living on taters.
Howdy MotoJ,

"IF" I understood correctly what Ilya explained to me a couple of years ago, it costs more to ship after market components to the factory located in Irbit a small town in Siberia, and then ship the finished product to the dealer network where ever it is in the world then it actually cost to produce the rig itself. There are less then 200 people working at the Ural factory, much of the machinery used to produce the rigs is as old as the brand itself.

So the combination of very small production capabilities and horrendous shipping costs of vital after market parts and completed product contributes to a higher cost to the end customer then if the same product were produced in the 10's of thousands each year from a facility located near a major sea coast shipping point. This is what makes it nearly imposable to accurately compare a Ural to any other mass produced motorcycle in todays market, there really is no comparison.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #660
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post

I do not get it... what "the phucking government" has to do in there... If "made in the USA" products such as a HD or Chevy is more expensive now than in -69 or -82 what does it have to do with the value of the US$ out of the USA??? I am glad that my salary is not at the level of -82 and mainly I am glad that more and more people are able to buy HDs or Chevys. Was not Communism a bad thing which did not offer any incentives to workers and keept them away of any consumerism future???? (sarcasm).
How can they built a complete bike/sidecar/2WD/reverse all in metal for such a small amount of money is still very difficult to understand in today's economy! Me thinks minimum wages in Irbitz are still not in par with Milwaukee or Tokyo!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote