Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #61
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Still curious about this:

Will any Ural owners here claim that there is another mass produced motorcycle brand being sold in the USA that on AVERAGE is less reliable than Ural?

I might be able to concede for Royal Enfield but don't have any personal experience.
No one will claim it, because they are not, but they are not as bad as you are trying to imply. Your experiences and opinions are not an undenialable universal truth.

Also I can say in time even the most reliable technology wounders will need work
, and at todays shop and parts prices that initial "reliability" will come home to roost. Pay now, pay later, there is no free ride.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #62
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
But hey, don't take my word for it guys. Go read any Ural forum. Look in to the maintenance and fixing section. See what the average Ural owner is up to.
I spent plenty of time in the same forum for the KLR.
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #63
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Still curious about this:

Will any Ural owners here claim that there is another mass produced motorcycle brand being sold in the USA that on AVERAGE is less reliable than Ural?

I might be able to concede for Royal Enfield but don't have any personal experience.
I cannot make such a claim because I haven't really owned many bikes. I did find it funny that I had to make such a critical repair to my KLR650 (the Doo). I guess a large, reputable company like Kawi, which makes such quality products, still hasn't addressed the problem because they 'counted the beans' and figured they could deal with the complaints and potential lawsuits versus recalling the bike. IMWA, on the other hand, actually addresses issues with their products.

I have personally advised many new buyers that if they are useless with a wrench, don't buy a Ural. Some haven't heeded that advice....and did just fine.

I am still curious if you will provide a link to this write-up to any potential buyer of your bike(s)?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #64
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
I don't know what you've been riding but on my Honda and Triumph the speedo and odo are pretty accurate. More importantly the needles don't bounces all over the place.

The problem with kick starting the M70 solo isn't the engine but perhaps the way the lever was installed and the amount of travel. Not enough of it. If the dealer can't kick start it then there is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
I've never had a motorcycle yet with an accurate speedo, they are always 5 to 8% off, I put a Speedo Healer on my VStrom when I changed the front sprocket, that was over $100 bucks, but it did the trick. First accurate speedo I ever had.

I can kick start my Ural in bare feet with a cold engine, my bike is tuned properly and like any bike you move the engine with the kick starter until on the compression then kick it over, very easy. On my old Harleys the kick arm ratchet would slip and over extend my knee, god that was painful!!
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #65
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Pay now, pay later, there is no free ride.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #66
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

Never ever heard anyone claim they are perfect, but for a lot of people they appear to be fine.
Well, if it wasn't for that one broken spoke I found at 11,000KMs, I would have to say that my 2010 Gear Up HAS been perfect.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #67
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Kinda pointless to claim what I would or wouldn't do. Would you believe me anyway? I guess we'll find out what actually happens with time. Anything else is just posturing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralBerger View Post
I am still curious if you will provide a link to this write-up to any potential buyer of your bike(s)?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #68
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Does your M70 Solo kick start? The travel on the arm is very short on mine and not even the dealer can kick start it. Maybe it's installed wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallybob View Post
Have a nice time with whatever you ride.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #69
North"wet"
Born To Meander

Oddometer: 295
Ural Owners Anonymous

Hello, I'm Michael and I'm an Ural owner.

So what's wrong with mine? The innertubes don't leak, it steers straight, is a great daily commuter, has required only routine maintenance and feeds my vanity with more attention than the neighbors' custom Harleys. My wife loves it.

Maintenance? I suggest buying something Italian if you want maintenance, and expensive maintenance at that. After 16 years of commuting on BMWs I decided that I wanted to go back to the basics that my first BMW airhead had and I wanted a sidecar rig. I enjoy doing the wrenching for routine maintenance and spent 15 years looking at and reading about Urals and hacks before I decided to buy a 2011 Patrol.

Hope you find a combination that works for you.

North"wet"
Fresno, CA

Quote:
You're much more forgiving than me. Rocker arm and final drive shouldn't be breaking on a new bike. That's their fault and you spent your time fixing it. Replacing a rocker arm is something I would have no clue how to do and it's not like Ural is saying "you should be a mechanic to own this bike".

Yep, I expected the personal attacks. No worries. It's not about me or those who already own a Ural. It's about those on the fence about getting one. Those new to sidecars. Hopefully they'll look at the thread and come away with more info and a clearer idea of what they want.
North"wet" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #70
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 461
Laugh Wow!!!!!

WOW!!! this thread is active

So I will chime in here

Ural's are expensive$$$ The quailty is getting better up to the early 50's maybe but the US dollar does not go a long way to buy a Ural!!!

$12,000 for a new Patrol if you got the money burn it!!! Finance it!!!!!

Way to much $$$ for the unit!!!!!!

If the Ural's were $6,000 US dollars it would be a good deal!!!!!!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #71
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I chimed in earlier in support of the OP and I am still agreeing with him.

At present I ride a 1984 Honda XL600LMF that has not had a easy life. It had been ridden across Europe to North Africa and back twice. It has been ridden very, very hard and now has a chair attached and is still giving sterling performance.

Major issues?- None
Minor Issues?- None.

What has it needed, regular servicing as per 'the book', thats it. The engine has never been apart, the carbs have been off once due to crappy fuel. What more to add? Now, compare that to the average Ural?
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #72
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
I don't know what you've been riding but on my Honda and Triumph the speedo and odo are pretty accurate. More importantly the needles don't bounces all over the place.

The problem with kick starting the M70 solo isn't the engine but perhaps the way the lever was installed and the amount of travel. Not enough of it. If the dealer can't kick start it then there is a problem.
That's kinda weird about the kick starter lever, it should come down and engage level with the ground, it does have a short stroke as compared to most kick starters, but if you get it on the compression, a tuned Ural starts extremely easy. Have you jetted your carbs from the factory lean jetting?? Does the kick lever actually turn the motor over? I just measured mine, from when the kick arm engages until it hits the rubber bumper on the frame is about 6 inches, pretty short stroke, but it works great on mine. Hey, you do know that you have an electric starter right, haha, just jokin with you.

Even with lean factory stock jetting, chokes out and the throttle turned a tiny bit that thing should fire up easily. Is this the bike that gets the water in the carb? You may have a line off that's making it run even leaner than stock and start hard. Running lean is death to a air cooled motor! Check the carb boots from the a/c and the rubber fittings from the carbs to the head, if one of those is partially off, not good.....

If your dealer can't start it, I sure hope he's in the process of fixing it? If not he should be. This is a simple issue that shouldn't be a big deal..........Yeah on older Guzzis and new Urals the speedo needles do tend to wag their tail a bit, nature of the beast I guess, I don't think much of it.....I've owned a lot of bikes, each has it's own list of irritants, I either learn to live with them, spend a bunch of money to re-engineer, or sell them before I push them off a cliff....
GeezerStank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #73
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 477
I've been considering buying a Ural so I'm finding this thread interesting. Are there any years to stay away from?
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #74
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
I've been considering buying a Ural so I'm finding this thread interesting. Are there any years to stay away from?
They used to say 2005 and up, then due to improvements they say 2008 and up. I waited until the 2010 improvements and bought a new one. Buy the newest one you can afford. I don't want to piss off the Ural 650 guys, but I wouldn't buy one of them.
GeezerStank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #75
cdscoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I think it has been talked to death on the Soviet steeds forum that if you are not mechanically inclined or do not enjoy fiddling with your bike then The Ural is not right for you. The corralary to that though is that you are not fit for ANY bike. These are not appliances like cars that are forever forgiving. One mecanical failure on any bike can be life threatening. Every manufacturer that builds bikes has these problems. Many would like you to believe the have none, but the sad fact is they do. Ask any honest dealer out of earshot of his shop. If you want a blender then you should be looking for something else. I don't personally think the ideal machine is made for you Bokad !
cdscoot is offline   Reply With Quote