Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #781
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Oooohh , look Ma !!, a can of worms

Look, I love the Soviet opposed twins with a passion, perhaps an obsession, but in recent years since IMWA (an American company controlled by Russians) has been in control, fluff is the name of the game. God there's more fluff surrounding Ural than a fat man's belly button.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #782
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,684
Be that as it may , why single out Ural ?. I've been into bm's for over thirty years ... and you couldn't give me a new one. For what I do it would be dead inside of six months . Wanna hear my harley stories ? . Not complete show stoppers ( well apart from the fuse for the headlight that takes out BOTH high and low beam at once ... three times ) , but fuck me for the money . Bought it second hand , ultra low K's ,gear cams , all the good shit at a screaming price ... I'm convinced the original owner gave up on it . Took me four odd months to track all the factory fuck ups . I'd love to hear Windmills .
That's why all new vehicles have a warranty ... some folks are gonna need it .

FR700 screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 07:19 PM
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #783
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Be that as it may , why single out Ural ?. I've been into bm's for over thirty years ... and you couldn't give me a new one. For what I do it would be dead inside of six months . Wanna hear my harley stories ? . Not complete show stoppers ( well apart from the fuse for the headlight that takes out BOTH high and low beam at once ... three times ) , but fuck me for the money . Bought it second hand , ultra low K's ,gear cams , all the good shit at a screaming price ... I'm convinced the original owner gave up on it . Took me four odd months to track all the factory fuck ups . I'd love to hear Windmills .
Oh I can tell you all about problems with Bavarian Money Wasters. And like you I wouldn't take a new one. Bricks on the other hand - they made good outfits and I never managed to break one, though I know of a few that broke big time. Harleys, my only experience is alloy Sportsters and always solos. Never had any problems and wanted to do a dual-sport conversion on one, problem is they always sold for more money than bricks and I'm a thrifty man. Dneprs were CHEAP and if you knew a little bit and accepted the limitations - reliable. Ural were the same, different problems but easy to sort out. Using BMW, KMZ, IMZ and CJ parts you could fix most problems on the air-cooled flat twins. Now the oil-heads are getting cheap and tempting experimentation. If my leg ever gets better - who knows what bastardry I'll concoct. I'm not a proud person, if it's got wheels I'll give it a go.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #784
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
And thats one of the main reasons I ended up with a Ural, I love the older BMW's and Harleys, but cant stand the new ones. I preferred my AMF shovelhead over the Evo Sportster even though the Sportster was far more reliable.

Personally I appreciate how Ural is evolving the rigs, refining function without changing the basic design. I know many people like how other manufacturers do major redesigns every few years to keep up with the latest technology or fashion trend, but thats not for me.
It's amusing that no matter what a manufacturer does, someone will come out of the woodwork to complain and criticize. "too many changes", "not enough changes"," too crude and unrefined", "too complicated and high tech".
I remember when folks criticized Ural because they didn't market their product and weren't making enough changes, now there are some folks criticizing them for marketing their product and trying to improve it.

internet forum 101,
If you like something your drinking Kool-Aid
If you don't like something your a hater.

Who cares about fluff, advertising is fluff, thats just the way it is regardless of the product, why even think or comment on it?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #785
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Nah, thats nothing, they all do that.
Quote:
Reckon ya odds would be better with a bm' ?

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #786
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
And thats one of the main reasons I ended up with a Ural, I love the older BMW's and Harleys, but cant stand the new ones. I preferred my AMF shovelhead over the Evo Sportster even though the Sportster was far more reliable.

Personally I appreciate how Ural is evolving the rigs, refining function without changing the basic design. I know many people like how other manufacturers do major redesigns every few years to keep up with the latest technology or fashion trend, but thats not for me.
It's amusing that no matter what a manufacturer does, someone will come out of the woodwork to complain and criticize. "too many changes", "not enough changes"," too crude and unrefined", "too complicated and high tech".
I remember when folks criticized Ural because they didn't market their product and weren't making enough changes, now there are some folks criticizing them for marketing their product and trying to improve it.

internet forum 101,
If you like something your drinking Kool-Aid
If you don't like something your a hater.

Who cares about fluff, advertising is fluff, thats just the way it is regardless of the product, why even think or comment on it?
+1
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #787
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor
but nothing makes you laugh like a Russian bike,

You sir need to own a Chinese bike.
That's funny, because I think a lot of the Chinese bikes are better built than the Russian stuff!!!
I ordered a lot of CJ-750 parts to rebuild an M-72 that I found. Almost every Chinese part (forks, fenders, final drive, throttle, carbs, levers, wheels) had a better build quality than the Russian part it replaced! Heck, even one of the Ural/Dnepr dealers in Germany said that the Chinese PZ knockoffs of the German Bing carbs were better than the originals!!!

If only the Chinese could come up with an EPA compliant engine and fuel delivery system and then some brakes to pass DOT testing, a new and improved CJ-750 could give the Ural a run for it's money in the sidecar market! If the Indians could do it with the Royal-Enfield...

gspell68 screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 10:11 PM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #788
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
If only..........

My dad's bigger than your dad..........

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #789
batphluke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
This thread just keeps on running... unlike the OP's motorcycle!
Until this began I didn't think there was such passion left in the motorcycle world, whatever you may think or feel about Urals they certainly inspire strong emotions, and not the sort of phoney hype the "lifestyle/ character" brands like Triumph and Harley spend a fortune faking to get us to buy their latest goodies. To all you Ural riders out there, Ride On, (if you can) to all the Ural haters, don't lose sleep over someone else's choice of bike, and to everyone else, grab a beverage of your choice and watch the entertainment! Now can we have some more critical engineering analysis and gratuitous insults please.

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Velorex 562 (attached to Mrs. B's 85 Honda XBR500)
batphluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #790
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Pah, I walked past a Ural once and it just fell apart.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #791
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
With statements like that your gonna start some sort of feud ....
Old 06-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #792
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Howdy Bill,

Is that the disassembled one I walked past and it magically bolted itself back together......................

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #793
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by batphluke View Post
Now can we have some more critical engineering analysis and gratuitous insults please.
Don't be so damned reasonable! Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberry!

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #794
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Bill,

Is that the disassembled one I walked past and it magically bolted itself back together......................
If it was the green one with purple spots, then NO!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #795
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
They all do that...
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote