oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Front end issue, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700385

final drive issue, http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=16840548

swing arm issue http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ingarm+failure

What your saying is what I have been saying all along, just because a few folks have issues, it doesn't mean everyone will or even that it is typical. All machines break, all machines have weak points,some more than others, and even major manufacturers don't always get it perfect all the time, or solve things as fast as customers desire. This is nothing new.

You say a Ural is not best for what you do, and others have found that they are for what they do. So who's opinion is right? they both are, only a fool would say otherwise.

Things do get sticky when others opinions don't jibe with yours, don't they?
Let's all present IMZ-Ural/IMWA failures to the NHSTA in the U.S. and see how long it survives? Yes, all machines break, but at what percentage? 1%? Or 10%? Still want to play the game? Don't defend bad manufacture, or you may not have anything left to defend! Ural's QA/QC SUCKS! It's warranty response saves it. Thanks to extremely low milage it still exists. As milages grow?
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #812
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
I have put about 4,000 miles on my rig since my build, I have never needed 2 wheel drive or reverse, sure they may come in handy, but you dont need them, so IMHO they can be ignored as a luxury or a gimmick that helps them sell.
You don't "need" reverse in a car (BTDT) but who buys a car without it. You don't "need" 4wd/AWD in a car, but how many folks get cars with it?

I have a 2wd Ural and my wife has a AWD Outback, I sure don't miss chaining up in the am on snowy days to get out the drive and up the hill. My Ural is my only transportation, I really like reverse, wouldn't have a rig without it.

I have 70.000 km on my rig, I don't "need" to be able to cruise over 65 mph, I don't "need" service intervals longer than 2500 km. "sure they may come in handy, but you don't need them, so IMHO they can be ignored as a luxury or a gimmick that helps them sell"

Get what I'm saying?
We have a saying here, Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one..................and the other guys stinks.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't worrying whats "needed" and "efficient" on a sidecar rig kind of esoteric?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #813
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Let's all present IMZ-Ural/IMWA failures to the NHSTA in the U.S. and see how long it survives? Yes, all machines break, but at what percentage? 1%? Or 10%? Still want to play the game? Don't defend bad manufacture, or you may not have anything left to defend! Ural's QA/QC SUCKS! It's warranty response saves it. Thanks to extremely low milage it still exists. As milages grow?
I'm not defending any manufacturers bad engineering or QC, or claiming any is better or worse, just that it exists in the real world despite what internet warriors may say about what ever particular machine they choose to have issue with. I'm sure if things are as bad as you want them to be, it will come out.

No doubt Ural needs to improve some things, but who doesn't?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #814
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglebeak View Post
a ural in australia is around $17,000 - $18,000.
$15,532

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #815
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,243
I live in the "sandhills". That should say it all, but if you need a visual, imagine living in a powdery loose sand beach with lots of hills and no ocean. 2wd drive is the difference between fighting your rig to get up a hill every 100m or just cruising along.

So, necessary? Probably not. But now I can run the terrain without slowing down, so why would I do without?

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #816
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I live in the "sandhills". That should say it all, but if you need a visual, imagine living in a powdery loose sand beach with lots of hills and no ocean. 2wd drive is the difference between fighting your rig to get up a hill every 100m or just cruising along.

So, necessary? Probably not. But now I can run the terrain without slowing down, so why would I do without?

12 million owners of ИЖ didn't need it, as didn't 3.2+ million owners of ИМЗ/УРАЛ, and what(?) 1.5 million КМЗ/Днепр owners didn't need it, I guess you Americans really are exceptional!
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #817
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
$15,532

You're right, $15,000 for one with nothing much.
(My cut and paste technique is crap)

"T" RRP Eastern Australia $15,532 + state rego
Colour: Matt Black (no pinstripe)
Features: Single saddle seat

But for one with a screen and two seats, tonneau, etc . . . $17,000.

I built my reliable GSX1400 for $15,500 and that was with cash going to fabricators.

And to reply to Windmill, no, things don't get sticky when others opinions don't jibe with mine.

Each to their own, but I was giving my experience of BM's after your statement about the infamous "rear end failures".
I think this so called rear end failure is, as we Australians say, "a bit of a Furphy".
From what I've sometimes read on this site about BM rear end failures, BM's should be dropping like flies, but I see heaps and heaps of BM's at Border runs and the like.
Percentage of failures, compared to bikes sold, maybe compared to total miles, now that'd be interesting !

I'll say it again, in my opinion, the new Urals in Australia are overpriced.

Tourist RRP Eastern Australia $17,017 + state rego
Features: Bench seat, sidecar windshield, tonneau cover, spare wheel, floor mat

Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #818
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Re: Why you should NOT buy a Ural motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
I guess you Americans really are exceptional!
We Americans most certainly are exceptional. We are also literate! Read the post. I said 2wd was not neccesary, but made traversing the terrain easier and faster.

I guess reading comprehension isn't near as important as showing one's arse. Then again, that describes most of this thread.

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 06:30 AM
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #819
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Hmmmm....the forum doesn't seem to like Russian now and is chopping my posts. Fixed it.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #820
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I have a 2012 BMW 1200RT and the long list of changes and redesigns of the FD in just the last several years is dizzying and confusing. They seem to be groping in the dark. The BMW forums discuss the FD issues every so often.

I'm quoting a recent thread: "After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August 2011, the NHTSA has opened its first official investigation into the failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever style final drive. NHTSA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now."

NHTSA isn't concerned about general "reliability" issues, just those that can endanger life and limb, like the above mentioned final drives *sometimes* locking up on the BMWs.

I'm not planning on selling my Ural or my BMW anytime soon ... I'm happy with both of 'em. My 2011 Ural has 17000 km of virtually trouble-free miles and I'm loving it. But I don't beat the whey out of it. My BMW is more reliable than my Ural, I'm sure, but which is more fun? Variety is wonderful.

With a Ural, it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't. "To each his own", said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Norms 427 screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 07:51 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #821
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
My Ural leaked oil in my garage. It was new. Only new bike that ever leaked oil from where the engine cases came together.
where the cases came together?
crampfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #822
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms 427 View Post
I have a 2012 BMW 1200RT and the long list of changes and redesigns of the FD in just the last several years is dizzying and confusing. They really seem to be groping in the dark. The BMW forums discuss the FD issues on a fairly regular basis.

I'm quoting a recent thread: "After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August 2011, the NHTSA has opened its first official investigation into the failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever style final drive. NHTSA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now."

NHTSA isn't concerned about general "reliability" issues, just those that can endanger life and limb, like the above mentioned final drives *sometimes* locking up on the BMWs.

I'm not planning on selling my Ural or my BMW anytime soon ... I'm happy with both of 'em. My 2011 Ural has 17000 km of virtually trouble-free miles and I'm loving it. But I don't beat the whey out of it. The BMW is more reliable than my Ural, I'm sure, but which is more fun? Variety is wonderful.

With a Ural, it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't. "To each his own", said the lady as she kissed the cow.
Several hundred posts ago I posted a recall list link, never was a comment on it:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/

http://www.motorcyclerecall.com/

http://motorcycleviews.com/recalls/m...clerecalls.htm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/530/Mo...e-Recalls.aspx

Since we are now having a Ural vs BMW pissing contest, check both brands and compare the volume of recalls for the two. All manufacturers have recalls, machines built by imperfect humans, and all designed to a price point regardless of what they actually sell for to the public.

Man this thread is going in circles!!!

When I see the posts about using a KLR to hack as compared to a Ural, put a standard Ural tub and hack frame on a KLR and lets see how well it works? I can hear the chain stretching.......and once again, no reverse or 2WD.

No reverse or 2WD, that would be a drag, especially where I live in the mountains with mud, snow and lots of steep hills. It would totally change the way I ride and where I could go..........

Here's the difference on just a dry hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQXXnytfqc

In the winter I run a K37 on the pusher, I go as far as I can using just that, when the bike won't go any further, I put it in 2WD and continue on without much drama. And when I need to pick a new line(stuck in 2WD) I put it in reverse, back up and go again, nice!! I just don't see how people can dispute how well these extras work?
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #823
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Since we are now having a Ural vs BMW pissing contest, check both brands and compare the volume of recalls for the two. All manufacturers have recalls, machines built by imperfect humans, and all designed to a price point regardless of what they actually sell for to the public.
You might misunderstand me, no pissing contest intended, I own both. I'm saying essentially the same thing that you're saying that all mechanical contraptions have issues at some time or other.

I said in my post that my BMW is more reliable than my Ural.

I enjoy them both.

Ride safe.

Norm
Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #824
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms 427 View Post
You might misunderstand me, no pissing contest intended, I own both. I'm saying essentially the same thing that you're saying that all mechanical contraptions have issues at some time or other.

I said in my post that my BMW is more reliable than my Ural.

I enjoy them both.

Ride safe.

Norm
Hi Norms,

I wasn't quoting your post for the pissing match, just the recall safety stuff, the Ural vs Beemer thing was from an earlier post about /2 superiority and KLR statements. Just kinda lumped them all together, heheh. So me and you ain't at war..... What years of Beemers needed the new electrical board that liked to fry? That went on for a long time, but was in the older ones. Sheesh, I have never owned one bike that didn't have some inherent design flaw or well known failure point that the manufacturer ignored and denied......ah well, I have yet to see or own a perfect motorcycle or any other product yet. Although my Hamilton Beach blender has been working flawlessly for about 15 years now, simply amazing!!!!

By the way, I like Beemers......
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #825
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Hi Norms,

I wasn't quoting your post for the pissing match, just the recall safety stuff, the Ural vs Beemer thing was from an earlier post about /2 superiority and KLR statements. Just kinda lumped them all together, heheh. So me and you ain't at war.....