Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #826
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post

Each to their own, but I was giving my experience of BM's after your statement about the infamous "rear end failures".
I think this so called rear end failure is, as we Australians say, "a bit of a Furphy".
From what I've sometimes read on this site about BM rear end failures, BM's should be dropping like flies, but I see heaps and heaps of BM's at Border runs and the like.
Percentage of failures, compared to bikes sold, maybe compared to total miles, now that'd be interesting !

I'll say it again, in my opinion, the new Urals in Australia are overpriced.

So true,
If the internet "chicken little's" were right, we would be seeing the road littered with broken bikes. You can go to any forum and whenever a failure comes up there will be the usual characters who proclaim the bike total crap, and others who deny there is are any problem at all, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

It's probably fair to say Urals do have more FD issues per unit and miles traveled, but the vast majority of Urals are lugging around a sidecar, and the vast majority of BMW's are not. It's also probably fair to say that if the majority of BMW's were hauling around a sidecar the failure rate would be higher too.
This is all speculation though, as nobody here really knows the actual numbers.

Why are the prices so much higher in Australia? Don't you pay significantly more for all vehicles there?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #827
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
I have put about 4,000 miles on my rig since my build, I have never needed 2 wheel drive or reverse, sure they may come in handy, but you dont need them, so IMHO they can be ignored as a luxury or a gimmick that helps them sell.
Howdy Bill,

All bullshite aside, come ride with me, I guarantee you'll soon find out that two wheel drive and reverse are not luxuries but necessities.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #828
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,233
Oooh! Oooh! Can I come!?

Wait a minute, it'll be a long time before I'm on that side of the country. Darn.

I seriously need to Ural my way out to the Pacific though. Apparently my boss does not agree though.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 04:27 PM
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #829
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post

I have never owned one bike that didn't have some inherent design flaw or well known failure point that the manufacturer ignored and denied......ah well, I have yet to see or own a perfect motorcycle or any other product yet.

Quote:
Although my Hamilton Beach blender has been working flawlessly for about 15 years now, simply amazing!!!!
My wife likes to bake, but she was going through a mixer every few months. Picked up a Sunbeam Mixmaster at a thrift store, it's been going strong for 8 years, according to the serial number it was made in 1938. I do have to service it, lube it, repack the gear box, clean the brushes, ect every 6 months or so, and had to replace a broken beater.

A great example of long term maintainability over short term no maintenance reliability, kinda reminds me of a bike I like......
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #830
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:

Here's the difference on just a dry hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQXXnytfqc

In the winter I run a K37 on the pusher, I go as far as I can using just that, when the bike won't go any further, I put it in 2WD and continue on without much drama. And when I need to pick a new line(stuck in 2WD) I put it in reverse, back up and go again, nice!! I just don't see how people can dispute how well these extras work?
Howdy All,

Just in case you don't already know it, that video is mine, I took when we met "Hubert" when he was doing the southwestern part of the USA as he toured the world. The BMW in the video is Hubert's, after riding with me and Don for a few days and seeing what our Ural's COULD do that his BMW COULDN'T do he was quite impressed.

Oh and that "dry hill" in the video is of us crossing Mengel Pass, from east to west in Death Valley, to the best of my knowledge when we did that crossing we were the FIRST sidecars to even attempt it let alone climb it, since then I and other URAL riders have done it many times, I have lots of video posted on youtube, check them out sometime.

In fact Hubert stayed in contact with me over the next couple of years and we discussed the improvements made to the Ural. Hubert is now continuing his round the world sojourn on a Ural. Yes he has had problems, READ his blog and he writes about ALL the rigs he has had over the years and how they ALL have failed or had weak points, he goes on to state for what he's doing NOW the Ural seems to be the best machine.

There is no way in HELL, I would ever say the Ural is the best machine in all circumstances. I have a very expensive BMW R1150GS that has a DMC hack installed on it with ALL the trimmings, its a wonderful high speed paved and GOOD gravel road machine, it wouldn't stand a chance keeping up with or covering the off road terrain that I usually take my Ural on.

I am down to 8 motorcycles, each is a different brand and type, each has a job that they perform really well, like tools different bikes allow you to perform different jobs-rides easily. If the only tool you own is a hammer the quality of the finish carpentry you will be able to do will be crude, the same can be said for motorcycles and their intended use; using a hammer to saw a board in half would make as much sense as me using my R1 to compete in a trials event.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #831
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Wow!

The internet is so cool. It brings out the best in people.

Oh by the way, I LOVE MY URAL! I LOVE REVERSE, I LOVE 2 WHEEL DRIVE, AND I LOVE THAT IT BRINGS OUT THE BEST IN PEOPLE! Keep up the discussion, of all the complaints about poor QC and how poorly made the Ural is, the thought that I have a rig that so many others don't want makes me feel special. So don't buy one, don't say anything positive so others will buy one, and by all means keep up the negative conversation about them. I'll waive as I pass you in the snow, sand, muddy rut ridden trail that 2 wheels can't get thru. And I'll continue to waive back at all the kids (not just young kids) in cars that waive at me. It's not just a novelty (the Ural), it's a passion and an adventure. I'll worry about breaking down when I do break down. Until then, I'll continue to hop on the seat and smile the biggest smile I have in years.

So by all means do not purchase one. You will have so many things to worry about it isn't worth it. And you have to read so many posts about how crappy they are it will make your head spin. I mean it's not like they have been selling them for decades or anything. And still today, you have to wait in line to get one. It must be the extremely poor manufacturing that causes this. Oh wait, maybe it's the complete lack of fun they are. No, No I remember it's the percentage of break downs to smiles that doesn't make them worth it. This equation makes sense doesn't it.

Break downs = 1
smiles prior to break down=1000000000000000000

That's negative equity isn't it?

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #832
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove
My Ural leaked oil in my garage. It was new. Only new bike that ever leaked oil from where the engine cases came together.

where the cases came together?

That was my attempt to describe the area, but it was leaking at the seam in the front, under the front cover where the alternator/generator is.

When I am older, I may buy another one. I did have good times with it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #833
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:

When I see the posts about using a KLR to hack as compared to a Ural, put a standard Ural tub and hack frame on a KLR and lets see how well it works? I can hear the chain stretching.......and once again, no reverse or 2WD.

Here's the difference on just a dry hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQXXnytfqc

I must say that my KLR would struggle in some of that.....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #834
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove
My Ural leaked oil in my garage. It was new. Only new bike that ever leaked oil from where the engine cases came together.

where the cases came together?

That was my attempt to describe the area, but it was leaking at the seam in the front, under the front cover where the alternator/generator is.

When I am older, I may buy another one. I did have good times with it.
Might have been the cam seal behind the ignition, pretty common. Mine sweats a little oil from there, not enough to bother with.... A Ural is kinda like owning a old Guzzi, Triumph or Norton, same vintage build style, they kinda ooze oil a little from here and there, nature of the beast. I have one push rod tube that seeps a little oil since it was new. It just doesn't leak enough to pull the head and disturb things, heheh I knew this bike would be like that, it's what it is, old technology. Only thing Urals are missing is some outside oilers with banjo fittings and copper washers you have to heat up when you mess with them. Ah them were the days..............
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #835
RAMKILR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post

In 1977 I bought a second hand BM75/6. it had already been ridden overland from Belgium to Australia...
That's a trip I'd like to see a video of - did you have Moses along as a passenger to part that pesky ocean?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #836
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

ye olde times

Quote:
Might have been the cam seal behind the ignition, pretty common. Mine sweats a little oil from there, not enough to bother with.... A Ural is kinda like owning a old Guzzi, Triumph or Norton, same vintage build style, they kinda ooze oil a little from here and there, nature of the beast. I have one push rod tube that seeps a little oil since it was new. It just doesn't leak enough to pull the head and disturb things, heheh I knew this bike would be like that, it's what it is, old technology. Only thing Urals are missing is some outside oilers with banjo fittings and copper washers you have to heat up when you mess with them. Ah them were the days..............
I saw some of that "outside oil tube" action at the Sammy Miller Museum outside of London last week. Some very cool old school oil leakers there. I would have thought that Ural would have updated the seals by 2006.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #837
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I saw some of that "outside oil tube" action at the Sammy Miller Museum outside of London last week. Some very cool old school oil leakers there. I would have thought that Ural would have updated the seals by 2006.
Well, I look at the bright side of things, there's 8 seals on 4 tubes, only one seal has a minute leak. If I don't wash my bike for awhile, you can see where the dust collects on it. So um, 1 out of 8 ain't bad, heheh.I haven't even messed with it in any way, might make it leak for real if I try to rotate it or move it around, and the way it is, it'll be fine until valve job time in 100,000 miles right, ha!
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #838
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Mine was leaking enough to leave spots in my garage. I was unimpressed with the engine and the paint/chrome bits flaking. The frame and electrical stuff all worked well on mine. I do like that they come with a sidecar from factory, not a dealer add on.
I think they will continue to improve as time goes on.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p2cvth
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #839
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
That $9999 Tourist T doesn't have 2wd, you know?

Heck, it doesn't come with much of anything. So.... why are you quoting the cheapest most stripped down Ural price?

Here, I'll say it for you, Ural is the cheapest 2wd and reverse sidecar motorcycle. We all know that.
Most people don't need that.
And.... the quality still sucks.

So if you NEED 2wd and reverse and you're short on cash, definitely, get a Ural.
Otherwise, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The Tourist T is $9999, http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-ural-t/
How much money would you need to "throw" at a KLR rig to have 2wd and reverse? Apple to apple you know.

"Street cred"??? Is that like Starbucks, when you get so many stamps you get something free?
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #840
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
It is AMAZING how many people they can fit in those things. I often see 4 people on a scooter WITHOUT a sidecar.
Also amazing how well they hold up given the load and driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
Yep. You'll see these 110cc to 175cc trike things all over the Philippines. They routinely carry 5-6 people as Taxis all day long and I've personally driven one loaded with 10 people. While I was driving, I was kind of wondering how my 650cc rig would hold up to the same abuse...

]
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote