Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #856
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
The title of the thread ought to have been: Why I should not have bought a Ural motorcycle.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #857
kawzak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ural Quality

This is interesting reading. I am an old guy who has owned about 30 bikes, getting ready to buy a new Patrol or Patrol "T".Ural has a kinda Nitch market-warts and all. Knowing that going in ,I still will buy one. I do my own work & maintenance. after the purchase-and after seeing this thread I can complain-or praise, depending if I want to claim Bi-polar or not. This is just too much fun!
kawzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #858
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Merry-We-Go-Round

Mr. Windmill, why even continue with this guy? It seems his goal now is to bait people so he can hit 1000 posts, I guess that would be an accomplishment of sorts for him. Even though I posted the recall links for motorcycles, it doesn't seem to interest anyone, I guess we could go out to the various forums of different makes and paste all the links to things going wrong with other marques, it would show we're in good company in the m/c market with issues. Pretty common, people only post when something goes wrong anyway, so there's plenty out there.

I wouldn't mind hearing why, I think it was ?Scala? wouldn't warranty his failure on his m/c communication system when it failed 5 months after purchase?? And why did the ?Touratech? pannier break off his bike, was that warrantied or what's the deal. And his computer won't open PDFs, and and and........ Why does everything break for this rider and nobody but Ural honor their warranty?? Why does so much shit break for this person? Could it be riding style, mistreatment of equipment, overloading or what, why does everything fail. I guess all these companies are shit and produce crap products.......Like, "when I wash my bike the air cleaner fills up with water?" Well don't put the friggin hose into the a/c opening!! For fuk's sake, have a clue! Then the headlight bucket wiring issue, did you force water into there and wash out your wiring real good?? Make sure you force as much water as possible in the handlebar switch openings too, then when you flick a switch and it shorts out, "geez what could have caused that?" I'm surprised the alternator has been drowned to failure yet. I mean really, this is a circle jerk of epic proportions, the idiocy is endless, and the incessant repetitive whining nauseating.......

Well, I just got us closer to 1000, this horse has been beat to death so hard there's nothing left but a battered skeleton, but what the fuk, lets keep'r going, someone evidently needs the attention. See the "Do sidecars put more stress on swing arms" thread. Really? What a fukin joke.....it was explained to him what probably happened there, bad weld, warranty covered, does the break suck, hell yes, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.......

I imagine there's more to come, the bike is probably being ridden to force break downs now, there is an agenda here. He may be the first guy to get denied at some point on a Ural warranty claim. I should forward this thread link to Ural America and Irbit(you know, the Ural Irbit Mountain Factory, haha!) sorry oppozit
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #859
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
This is interesting reading. I am an old guy who has owned about 30 bikes, getting ready to buy a new Patrol or Patrol "T".Ural has a kinda Nitch market-warts and all. Knowing that going in ,I still will buy one. I do my own work & maintenance. after the purchase-and after seeing this thread I can complain-or praise, depending if I want to claim Bi-polar or not. This is just too much fun!
I don't think you'll be disappointed. They are certainly fun (especially in winter if you live in a snowy place). It really helps if you can do your own maintenance. That I think is a crucial factor and that it's not your primary means of transportation. You certainly have to approach Ural ownership, all aspects, both riding and wrenching as a hobby.
Yes. I've had to work on my old rigs a lot, but at least I'm out of the house, drinking a beer and watching my kids playing with the dogs, or playing basketball, or riding bikes. Lots of times, I stop and take a break to hang out with them, so it doesn't bother me to work on them (however, that doesn't mean that I don't have a few wrench mark dings on my garage wall or convinced all my neighbors that I have Tourette Syndrome!) . I don't trust an old Rooskie bike any more than an old unreliable drunk friend, because one day, it's gonna let you down. There's been many times I've left the house feeling like a WW2 bomber pilot, never knowing if I'm going to make it back home. But I always have, sometimes limping home on one cylinder with the prop feathered or with parts shot off. But, sometimes taking a risk is half the fun.
But, then again, you may get a hassle free one...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #860
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy gspell68,

Whilst riding my Ural in this years AMA sanctioned annual "Black Dog" dual sport rally, I again as has happened EVERY year I have competed in the event PASSED some of the regular dual sport motorcycles in some of the NASTY snow, rock and mud covered parts of the "B" course. To be fair and totally honest, the bikes I passed did later when the trail conditions vastly improved pass me, this too happens every year.

The point being some machines simply do better then others when the conditions fit their particular mechanical abilities. I and many others have no problem admitting the Ural's limitations, what is evident in threads like this is that many refuse to admit the Ural's decided ability to out perform some other machines regardless of brand or cost when the going gets especially nasty.
Even though your bike is heavily modified and is certainly not straight off the showroom floor, I do think that's one of the selling points of a Ural that goes back to some of the Soviet bikes' military history. They are a lot like an military vehicles: slow, fairly rugged, designed to be operated and worked on by anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver not to poke in his eye.
Ural sums it up best with one of their taglines about a rig 'that begs the questions, "Where does that road go?" ' Almost anyone (including amputees and older folks) can walk into a dealership, ride out on a 2WD rig, and ride to places that they otherwise never would've and/or could've gone on any other bike. Once you get off-road, it doesn't take take a lot of skill because the rigs are pretty forgiving unless you do something downright retarded (BTDT!).
And in the hands of the more skilled and less sane folk such as yourself, well the sky is the limit...

gspell68 screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 11:36 AM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #861
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Mr. Windmill, why even continue with this guy? It seems his goal now is to bait people so he can hit 1000 posts, I guess that would be an accomplishment of sorts for him.
I don't know really,
Perhaps it's like one of those no-see-um gnats buzzing in your ear, just a harmless annoyance you cant help but wave away.
bokad should star in a reality TV show, they could call it "whine and cheese on a Ural". and the "clan Ural" could watch it while drinking Kool-Aid.

One thing for sure, I did encounter poison ivy types like him when I was rig shopping, I'm so glad I didn't give their opinions more consideration than they deserved. My Ural has proven to be my all time favorite bike (and more reliable than several), and it would have been a shame to miss out on all the enjoyment it has brought me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
It really helps if you can do your own maintenance. That I think is a crucial factor and that it's not your primary means of transportation.
If your not ready, willing, and able to do your own maintenance, a Ural is probably not your best choice.

I have been using my Ural as my primary transportation for 4 1/2 years successfully with only a couple of self induced issues.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #862
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Even though your bike is heavily modified and is certainly not straight off the showroom floor, I do think that's one of the selling points of a Ural that goes back to some of the Soviet bikes' military history. They are a lot like an military vehicles: slow, fairly rugged, designed to be operated and worked on by anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver not to poke in his eye.
Ural sums it up best with one of their taglines about a rig 'that begs the questions, "Where does that road go?" ' Almost anyone (including amputees and older folks) can walk into a dealership, ride out on a 2WD rig, and ride to places that they otherwise never would've and/or could've gone on any other bike.
And in the hands of the less sane folk such as yourself, well the sky is the limit...
Howdy gspell68,

I neglected to add that my friends Steve and Barry ( Inmate "StoneAgeMan" and Inmate "windmill" ) who run stock Ural's with only the addition of skid plates and a higher exhaust system, have this year and in years past ALSO participated in the activity I described in my post. I was doing this when my Ural was stock, its just a lot more fun now that I have totally eliminated the low exhaust pipes and put the rig on a diet.

As to the expression of sanity, I get a check from Uncle Sam every month because I am a bit round the bend as it were.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #863
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
. Once you get off-road, it doesn't take take a lot of skill because the rigs are pretty forgiving unless you do something downright retarded (BTDT!).
And in the hands of the more skilled and less sane folk such as yourself, well the sky is the limit...
Riding with Mr. Cob could fall under that heading, he's a bad influence.
One time it cost me a FD when I landed an unintended jump poorly and ripped the 2wd shift lever out of the FD housing, as badly busted up as it was, it still made it another 40 miles on jeep trails to a paved road.

Yup, Mr. Cob is a bad, bad man.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #864
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I don't know really,
Perhaps it's like one of those no-see-um gnats buzzing in your ear, just a harmless annoyance you cant help but wave away.
bokad should star in a reality TV show, they could call it "whine and cheese on a Ural". and the "clan Ural" could watch it while drinking Kool-Aid.

One thing for sure, I did encounter poison ivy types like him when I was rig shopping, I'm so glad I didn't give their opinions more consideration than they deserved. My Ural has proven to be my all time favorite bike (and more reliable than several), and it would have been a shame to miss out on all the enjoyment it has brought me.

If your not ready, willing, and able to do your own maintenance, a Ural is probably not your best choice.

I have been using my Ural as my primary transportation for 4 1/2 years successfully with only a couple of self induced issues.
Howdy All,

When it comes to "self induced issues", I think the best one Barry has so far accomplished is the unintentional ramming the rig into two wheel drive whilst climbing over rocks in a rutted trail while PASSING dual sport bikes during the 2010 or maybe it was the 2011 running of the Black Dog rally.

I was in the lead, Barry was very close behind me, we had been following and trying to get around a group of about three dual sport bikes for a couple of miles. The trail turned from bad to oh phuck, the bikes slowed down in the one sport WIDE enough for us to make the pass. I made the pass Barry was right behind me and also took the bikes out. Where the pass was made the trial climbed a deeply rutted rock filled grade, while riding over this rough stretch of terrain while under full power, Barry's body was being tossed around as he stood on the foot pegs, his right knee slammed into the after-market two wheel drive shifter forcing the rig into two wheel drive.

When Barry realized what had happened ( a couple of miles further down the trail ) we stopped and looked the situation over. Where the two wheel drive shifter goes into the top of the final drive case, the case was cracked, the shifter inside the case was locked into two wheel drive, gear lube was leaking but the rig was still able to move under its own power. Because we were in the middle of nowhere we decided to just keep going until the final drive gave up as this would put us closer to a place we could retrieve the rig.

We ended up driving Barry's busted rig over 30 miles until we got to the next fuel check point, at that point the darn thing was STILL able to propel itself. Barry waited with his rig until it could be recovered, I continued with the rally. Back at camp I installed my spare final drive in Barry's rig and the rally went on. How many other machines can you think of that could survive such a rider induced catastrophe and STILL continue to move under their own power?

I could tell you of another time that the final drive gears in Inmate "DaveO" rig chiped while going down the "Lippencott Mine Road" in the hinterlands of Death Valley, we removed the final drive, split the cases, remove the broken ring gear teeth, reassembled the final drive, reinstalled the final drive and clicking and clunking RODE the rig out of the mountains and to the valley floor where we could do a final drive replacement. These and many more stories of how much ABUSE the Ural is capable of and still remain able to move under its own power are all documented in words and photos in my MANY ride reports. Like I said I have a very nice high $$$$$$$$$ hacked GS that I am very happy with but I wouldn't dare even think of taking that rig where I purposely take the Ural nearly every time I ride it.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #865
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
I am a bit round the bend as it were.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #866
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Back at camp I installed my spare final drive in Barry's rig and the rally went on.
Hey Dave,

You tell it much better than I do, but I believe you got one "detail" wrong, I seem to remember you mostly supervised the FD swap, or am I getting senile?

I actually didn't realize the problem until another rider shouted that I was dragging something, the shifter and shaft was ripped completely out and was just hanging loose.

I still don't know how I managed to stay on, and keep on going, and shocked I didn't fold up the front end. Someone back at camp said I caught some good air, but I don't remember, my life was flashing before my eyes.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #867
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Hey Dave,

You tell it much better than I do, but I believe you got one "detail" wrong, I seem to remember you mostly supervised the FD swap, or am I getting senile?

I actually didn't realize the problem until another rider shouted that I was dragging something, the shifter and shaft was ripped completely out and was just hanging loose.

I still don't know how I managed to stay on, and keep on going, and shocked I didn't fold up the front end. Someone back at camp said I caught some good air, but I don't remember, my life was flashing before my eyes.
Howdy Barry,

I stand corrected, Yes I did supervise the replacement rather then do the work, I am getting to be to old for that shite. Still it was one HELL of a ride.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #868
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristof Granit View Post
I reckon this thread alone has sold a couple of Urals... and I doubt it has turned anyone off who was seriously interested in one.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #869
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Thanks for quoting the whole post, makes my cut and paste easier!

Did you read the part near the very beginning where I said:

"This is all OPINION. "

and

"I GREATLY appreciate all the help I've gotten from the Ural community. They are a helpful and devoted bunch. The community is great, I just don't like the bike."

?

Quote:
You continue to claim that your opinions are definitive of what a Ural is all about, and discredit anyone who disagrees with you, or has had a better ownership experience. The fact is your opinions only speak for you, not for the majority as you try to represent. The majority of Ural owners are happy with them.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #870
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
THIS HORSE IS DEAD[/B]
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote