Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #1021
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,040
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Oh, and after making that statement, you'll be in that Beemer what, $30k?? You still won't have 2WD or reverse. It blows my mind how you guys compare this shit. And will Beemer honor their warranty with a hack on it, especially if you get one of their flaming FDs? I don't know who has the worst new FDs, Beemer or Ural?
I'm reading through the last couple pages and I don't see where anyone was comparing GSs to Urals or said a GS was 15K.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #1022
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I'm reading through the last couple pages and I don't see where anyone was comparing GSs to Urals or said a GS was 15K.
It has been done in this thread. KLR rigs were used as a comparison too. You just need to read it all.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #1023
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It has been done in this thread. KLR rigs were used as a comparison too. You just need to read it all.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Oh, OK. Well, I have the whole weekend. I might get through it......
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #1024
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
http://www.uralne.com/2012-ural-patr...white-stripes/

OP's model above, which is what was being referred to, not a stripped down T.

My quibble was about value to price. I suppose price is subjective for everyone, depending on what they want and how deep their pockets are, but I maintain that for $15K or thereabouts, final drive and swing-arm failures are unacceptable. Ural QC should not allow that stuff. But, as has been said before, without warranty claim numbers from IMZ, this thread is really all just opinions, based on anecdotes. Sure are a lot of anecdotes though. I'll wait to buy a new one until there's lots of anecdotes about people and their 75- 100K miles Urals, like so many old airheads.

It's pretty awesome how much loyalty Ural inspires in their customers, with a lot of good reason. There's a whole untapped "lifestyle" market here, I think. Stuffed teddy bears with babuska scarves and buttons that say "I heart my Ural!", baby tees for the ladies, "Three Wheels or Die!" jackets, etc.
You will find Ural of New England's price higher than any where else in the US, hell they make up their bike to be up to like $20,000 that is over priced. I too was talking value to price, almost any other hacked bike will cost at least $10,000 more. If you are comparing un-hacked bike to a hacked Ural than that comparison is not even in the playing field.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #1025
hogmaine
Adventurer

Quote:
I went to both websites Ural and BMW and took the two least expensive prices for each. Sorry the BMW link is $16,150
http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-ural-t/
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1026
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Well, they're both too rich for my cheap ass. I hacked my airhead for next to nothin, and ikm rebuilding my IMZ motor (for the second time). Someday ill own a new rig, when these wear out. I think ill be an old man by then, though.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #1027
hogmaine
Adventurer

Quote:
Well, they're both too rich for my cheap ass. I hacked my airhead for next to nothin, and ikm rebuilding my IMZ motor (for the second time). Someday ill own a new rig, when these wear out. I think ill be an old man by then, though.
I am glad you were able to do it. From the looks of the bikes you own you would be very happy with a Ural.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #1028
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
The OP has had some issues, the swing arm thing totally sucked, rare as hell according to Cob, but Ural shipped the new arm quick and will pay for the repair bill.
Yep. What really sucks is that the frame used to be the very last thing about a Ural you ever had to worry about. If they're now cutting corners on putting the frames together, what else are they skimping on during assembly?!?!? I cannot remember ever seeing it happen on an old one.
I've seen pictures of at least one other time a swingarm broke and also the hack frame. The guy whose hack frame broke was kind of a newbie out in the middle of BFE in what looked like a desert and had walk to civilization because it was 2WD and didn't know how to pull the axle or something.
Ural has been pretty lucky so far that most of the drivers suck it up and take it in stride when a near-catastrophic event takes place. Did you see the skid marks of when Bokad's frame failed? He was probably lucky that he didn't get taken out by a cage driver. Springing for a new swingarm is the least of Ural's worries in the face of a wrongful death lawsuit or a massive recall.
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #1029
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
I imagine that it's a lot like the Philippines where busses and sugarcane trucks rule the road and stop for nothing. It could've gotten real ugly if something were coming around the corner...

gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #1030
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
Yep. What really sucks is that the frame used to be the very last thing about a Ural you ever had to worry about. If they're now cutting corners on putting the frames together, what else are they skimping on during assembly?!?!?
That's what puzzles me about it. It's the most basic, brain-dead simple thing that hasn't changed in literally fifty years. There's no excuse for it getting worse.

Bokad, did you examine the failed weld? Was it obviously a cold weld or some other common failure mode?
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #1031
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Can we circle in the opposite direction for a while please? I'm getting dizzy!

Can I put it to the good people of this thread that value comparisons are utterly meaningless simply because they are entirely subjective. The only reason I can see for someone to harp on about how expensive Urals are is jealousy - they want one but don't have the dollars or the balls to spend the dollars to have one.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #1032
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
That's what puzzles me about it. It's the most basic, brain-dead simple thing that hasn't changed in literally fifty years. There's no excuse for it getting worse.

Bokad, did you examine the failed weld? Was it obviously a cold weld or some other common failure mode?

Worse or was is just as others have mentioned, just a rare break...it's a machine, and like all machines man has ever made, they will break.

Quote:
+1

I've had four Urals, and four oilhead BMWs since 1997.

I've been stranded zero times with Urals -- always able to rig it up to make it home. Been stranded on BMW's twice. Fuel pump (@3000 miles) and output shaft splines (@18000 miles).

Now, I'll leave my example at that, rather than try to convince people that this is the "Average" experience for both brands. As always, YMMV.

BMW fuel pump going out at 3,000 miles? Well it's got to be happening to all of the BMWs and they must have a serious quality control issues for ever letting that go out the doors? If I spend 2 cents on a new motorcycle it should never break.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #1033
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Wow, so you don't expect a bike to be "turn the key and ride" for all the dough a new Ural costs? (Not counting valve adjustments and other maintenance.) That the OP would be more satisfied with his purchase if he had been expecting the FD to take a shit and the swingarm to crack, things he might have known if only he had done more research? Is that what "certain findings" would have been turned up?

The Ural Kool-Aid swilling is perplexing to me, and I own one. HDs get the same following. They're both cool marques, but they're not worth the big dollars they command, for whatever my two cents is worth.

In ref to the "turn key" statement, it's basically WWII tech. As stated, I did not expect a Ural to be a "turn key" bike. I am however pleasantly suprised by the franken-ural I bought. Since Feb 2012 I have racked up nearly 10,000 klicks on the klock and have experienced very minor issues or issues that I caused.

In ref to the final drive failure and swing arm failure, perhaps you missed my second sentence in that post. I, nor should anyone, expect catastophic failure such as that. From my research I garnered Urals to be semi-reliable machines that MOST people should be abe to fix with common hand tools. Urals have issues. I have not heard or read of massive amounts of swing arm and final drive failure, most especially on ONE bike. He got a lemon... That Ural will take care of under warranty.

I don't drink much Ural kool-aid. I never have posted that Urals are the best bikes with no issues and don't believe them to be. A Ural is what it is; WWII tech with a few upgrades sprinkled on it. So let's compare a Ural to a bike of simular tech. Wait, most companies don't make anything like a Ural any more. Used? HAH!!! Show me where I can find a Harley WLA or XLA from WW II that I can AFFORD. And even if I could afford it, I'd bet the Ural is more reliable, easier to maintain and easier to find parts for!!!

As for the pricing, I agree the price seems a bit on the high side for what you are getting. IN MY OPINION a Grear Up should be about $10,500 and a T about $7,999. BUT... We live in the real world. In the real world we have inflation and other things continually pushing the price of Urals (and everything else) UP!

I've owned 3 Harleys (put 60,000 miles on one of them) and 4 Buells (race one of them). I am not of the "chrome, leather chaps and 30 mile ride on the weekend" clan. I have put a boat load of miles on ALL of my bikes. Of the 1 harley and 1 street Buell I still have, neither has less than 30,000 miles on them. I have also put nearly 25,000 miles on several different Harleys at work. I think I have learned 1 or 2 things about harleys and the marque. I am not trying to be arrogant, just trying to give you a little background.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #1034
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
In ref to the "turn key" statement, it's basically WWII tech. As stated, I did not expect a Ural to be a "turn key" bike. I am however pleasantly suprised by the franken-ural I bought. Since Feb 2012 I have racked up nearly 10,000 klicks on the klock and have experienced very minor issues or issues that I caused.

In ref to the final drive failure and swing arm failure, perhaps you missed my second sentence in that post. I, nor should anyone, expect catastophic failure such as that. From my research I garnered Urals to be semi-reliable machines that MOST people should be abe to fix with common hand tools. Urals have issues. I have not heard or read of massive amounts of swing arm and final drive failure, most especially on ONE bike. He got a lemon... That Ural will take care of under warranty.

I don't drink much Ural kool-aid. I never have posted that Urals are the best bikes with no issues and don't believe them to be. A Ural is what it is; WWII tech with a few upgrades sprinkled on it. So let's compare a Ural to a bike of simular tech. Wait, most companies don't make anything like a Ural any more. Used? HAH!!! Show me where I can find a Harley WLA or XLA from WW II that I can AFFORD. And even if I could afford it, I'd bet the Ural is more reliable, easier to maintain and easier to find parts for!!!

As for the pricing, I agree the price seems a bit on the high side for what you are getting. IN MY OPINION a Grear Up should be about $10,500 and a T about $7,999. BUT... We live in the real world. In the real world we have inflation and other things continually pushing the price of Urals (and everything else) UP!

I've owned 3 Harleys (put 60,000 miles on one of them) and 4 Buells (race one of them). I am not of the "chrome, leather chaps and 30 mile ride on the weekend" clan. I have put a boat load of miles on ALL of my bikes. Of the 1 harley and 1 street Buell I still have, neither has less than 30,000 miles on them. I have also put nearly 25,000 miles on several different Harleys at work. I think I have learned 1 or 2 things about harleys and the marque. I am not trying to be arrogant, just trying to give you a little background.
Points taken.
And If a Gear Up was 10-5 I'd be all over one. The savings would buy a lot of antacid if things went south!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #1035
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
I know jack about welding. I took some pictures of the break and sent them in to IMZ. They didn't say what they thought the cause was.

Quote:
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote