B. Go for a ride
C. Both A & B
If only!

I'd actually prefer:
D. Both A & B, simultaneously.

But, I'm stuck here in A-stan for four more months. The closest I'll get is:
A. Go for a walk.
B. Abuse myself.
C. Walk back to my room and abuse myself.
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #1052
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
[QUOTE=Poacher Bob;19077519]What kind of oil do you run?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #1053
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
If only!

I'd actually prefer:
D. Both A & B, simultaneously.

But, I'm stuck here in A-stan for four more months. The closest I'll get is:
A. Go for a walk.
B. Abuse myself.
C. Walk back to my room and abuse myself.
Abuse or just play with yourself???
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1054
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,111
Depends on how long he's been down range...

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #1055
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Depends on how long he's been down range...

Reminds me...

Marine and a Sailor got into argument one night about sex...Sailor finally says "The Navy Invented Sex!" to which the Marine quickly replied..."Yes the Navy invented sex, but the Corp introduced it to women..."
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #1056
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I was done with this argument a while ago, shook hands with Cob and Windmill and just kept on reading.

Now, people admit that Urals are labour intensive and are prone to breaking down but not leaving you stranded and are relatively cheap at $10,000-$15,000.

A thought just occured to me, it doesn't matter how much you spend on a machine,any machine, if it beaks down it aint worth f**k all !! If it gets fixed and breaks down again then it is worth less than f**k all as it has proved itself to be a unreliable piece of shit.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #1057
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
I was done with this argument a while ago, shook hands with Cob and Windmill and just kept on reading.

Now, people admit that Urals are labour intensive and are prone to breaking down but not leaving you stranded and are relatively cheap at $10,000-$15,000.

A thought just occured to me, it doesn't matter how much you spend on a machine,any machine, if it beaks down it aint worth f**k all !! If it gets fixed and breaks down again then it is worth less than f**k all as it has proved itself to be a unreliable piece of shit.
Good in theory, but I've never had a motorcycle that didn't break down at some point...except my Ural, and I'm sure it will break down eventually. Then again, my Ural was the first motorcycle I've ever bought that was fully assembled. It was also the first with mirrors and signals, the first with electronic ignition, the second with rear suspension...

Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #1058
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
My '84 XL600LMF hasnt ever broken down on me, it is showing signs of age but keeps on going. Since I restored my '57 Matchless in the late 70's, never broken down same as a '53 Bantam I have.

The point there being the bike is only as good as the last person to have worked on it.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #1059
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,518
Whats a Ural?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #1060
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
Ural has been pretty lucky so far that most of the drivers suck it up and take it in stride when a near-catastrophic event takes place.
I think it is fortunate that Ural mostly sells 3 wheel bikes as they are more forgiving of failures. I LOVE how my Ural solo looks and it runs easily to 80+ mph. But it's always in the back of my mind that if it has Ural moment while I'm cruising down the interstate you all will probably not have to hear any more of my complaints about Urals anymore.

bokad screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 09:06 AM
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #1061
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmaine View Post
I really have to dis- agree most newer Urals do not have the issues you have had in such a short period of time, so it is not average. Average is a bad brake light switch, bulbs that burn out, rusting on various items, something loose, hack covers bungees breaking, setup not correct, etc. Final drives going, and welds breaking are not the norm. These bikes do have their issues, well documented on many of these forums. You have had a bad experience that is for sure, but the average Ural owner does not. I have owned many bikes, cars, etc. there are lemons in every company's products.
I say average because there are many Urals that have been a bigger disaster than mine and many that have been better. Certainly my bike is not the best or worst example of a Ural so I call it average. Swing arm failure is not common. Final drive failure is not at all rare. My point isn't that these specific problems are very common. The point is that problems in general (maybe it is piston hole or brake springs or rocker arms or transmission or... or... or... or....) are way too common on Urals.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #1062
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,518
I like that. Looks like an old two wheel tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
I think it is fortunate that Ural mostly sells 3 wheel bikes as they are more forgiving of failures. I LOVE how my Ural solo looks and it runa easily to 80+ mph. But it's always in the back of my mind that if it has Ural moment while I'm cruising down the interstate you all will probably not have to hear any more of my complaints about Urals anymore.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #1063
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
I think it is fortunate that Ural mostly sells 3 wheel bikes as they are more forgiving of failures. I LOVE how my Ural solo looks and it runa easily to 80+ mph. But it's always in the back of my mind that if it has Ural moment while I'm cruising down the interstate you all will probably not have to hear any more of my complaints about Urals anymore.
Anything is possible and it probably has happened, but I don't recall ever hearing of any failures on 1wd or solo FD's. I'm sure everyone here would prefer to continue hearing your complaints than have it the other way.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #1064
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
You're as bad as Bokad. You're destroying the myth that so many Ural owners cling too. These really are WWII bikes made today. They can be painted in RAL colours and used for re-enaction as "genuine" Nazi war machines. Stop destroying the fantasies of hundreds if not thousands of Ural owners. Why they even have 2WD just like the R75 and KS 750. (Shame it didn't appear until the early 1990's).

Hey, that's not nice. No more dream destroying truth from you for at least another week!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1065
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
and it runs easily to 80+ mph.
Are you sure you didn't mean KPH?!?!?
Otherwise, I think I found the source of your problems...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote