Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #1081
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,304
I have pretty much been following this thread (and a few others) with a bit of a smile.
I think soon I will start another thread called
"Why you should buy a Ural...". On the road now full time for close to six years [1996 BMW GS, Ural car] we have clocked close to 300.000 miles. US mainly. "Old Faithful" has been good to us, at 280.000 miles I finally had to switch engine and drop in an RT engine. Two years newer and only 30.000 miles.
All is well... BUT... I need reverse, not as much the 2 wheel drive option.
SO... I am plunging into a 2012 Gear Up in a few days which will have many accessories needed for soon also Europe, but MAINLY the ability to ride those dirt paths we cannot at the present time. Turning "Old Faithful" around sometimes has been a very painful option. I like isolation, the unknown deserted dirt roads, pitch a tent and stay as long as our water last! [creeks are a plus!]
I realize the Gear Up has it's limitations. I realize she will need a busier maintenance schedule. I have the time and I enjoy it...
"Why you should not buy a Ural...". Why you should not get out of bed... why you should not have a dog... why and more why... I don't live with negativity. If it was so I would not be around today...
So... I just wanted to chime in...
Be well... Ara and Spirit

BeemerChef screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 08:13 AM
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #1082
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
"Why you should not buy a Ural...". Why you should not get out of bed... why you should not have a dog... why and more why... I don't live with negativity. If it was so I would not bee around today..."

Well said!
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #1083
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
+2 on that!

You took the words out of my mouth, I had considered starting just such a thread but then realised there would be a parade of the usual suspects posting bilge about how they have been so terribly served and expecting everyone else to agree.

And I just don't have the patience for negative people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
"Why you should not buy a Ural...". Why you should not get out of bed... why you should not have a dog... why and more why... I don't live with negativity. If it was so I would not bee around today..."

Well said!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 10:27 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #1084
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
+2 on that!

You took the words out of my mouth, I had considered starting just such a threat but then realised there would be a parade of the usual suspects posting bilge about how they have been so terribly served and expecting everyone else to agree.

And I just don't have the patience for negative people.

There is no need for "patience" for negative people. "mechanics" will fail at one point or another. It is a matter of maintenance and knowing it's limitations. I generally only disregard the negativism which truly I am not exposed as many others are being bombarded with Media and so forth. I have never watched television in my Life, the past 6 years has been mostly in a tent by ourselves or so.

I will start that thread soon...

Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #1085
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef View Post
There is no need for "patience" for negative people. "mechanics" will fail at one point or another. It is a matter of maintenance and knowing it's limitations. I generally only disregard the negativism which truly I am not exposed as many others are being bombarded with Media and so forth. I have never watched television in my Life, the past 6 years has been mostly in a tent by ourselves or so.

I will start that thread soon...

Howdy Ara,

Its good to hear that our past conversations have resulted in you and Spirit, joining the ranks of the "Uralista's". Be sure to stop by if you pass through my part of the Nor-Wet, give your Dog a pat from me, be well, ride long.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #1086
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
I have pretty much been following this thread (and a few others) with a bit of a smile.
I think soon I will start another thread called
"Why you should buy a Ural...". On the road now full time for close to six years [1996 BMW GS, Ural car] we have clocked close to 300.000 miles. US mainly. "Old Faithful" has been good to us, at 280.000 miles I finally had to switch engine and drop in an RT engine. Two years newer and only 30.000 miles.
All is well... BUT... I need reverse, not as much the 2 wheel drive option.
SO... I am plunging into a 2012 Gear Up in a few days which will have many accessories needed for soon also Europe, but MAINLY the ability to ride those dirt paths we cannot at the present time. Turning "Old Faithful" around sometimes has been a very painful option. I like isolation, the unknown deserted dirt roads, pitch a tent and stay as long as our water last! [creeks are a plus!]
I realize the Gear Up has it's limitations. I realize she will need a busier maintenance schedule. I have the time and I enjoy it...
"Why you should not buy a Ural...". Why you should not get out of bed... why you should not have a dog... why and more why... I don't live with negativity. If it was so I would not be around today...
So... I just wanted to chime in...
Ara

You just summed it up, thanks

Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #1087
Wallybob
History Geek

Oddometer: 225
I hated my Ural so much I had to buy another.

The first

The new beast

All I can say is that I love both, although the new one still manages to scare the crap out of me at times, because of my bad sidecar riding habits....remember not to turn the handlebars when wanting to turn....I now have an M1 Garand scabbard on the right fork of the new still unnamed bike. I still blame Mr. Cob for wanting the solo bike. Thanks, Dave!

2006 Ural Troyka "Akula"
2012 Ural M-70 Solo "Novoi Zavotcha"
Wallybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #1088
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallybob View Post

All I can say is that I love both, although the new one still manages to scare the crap out of me at times, because of my bad sidecar riding habits....remember not to turn the handlebars when wanting to turn
How do you counter steer without turning the bars?

I think you should have said, remember not to turn them the wrong way
Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #1089
Wallybob
History Geek

Oddometer: 225
Yeah, what he said....

2006 Ural Troyka "Akula"
2012 Ural M-70 Solo "Novoi Zavotcha"
Wallybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #1090
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:

The first

The new beast

All I can say is that I love both, although the new one still manages to scare the crap out of me at times, because of my bad sidecar riding habits....remember not to turn the handlebars when wanting to turn....I now have an M1 Garand scabbard on the right fork of the new still unnamed bike. I still blame Mr. Cob for wanting the solo bike. Thanks, Dave!

Damn nice looking new bike. That's frickin schweet...

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #1091
Mr. Cob

Quote:

The first

The new beast

Howdy Mike,

Just doing my job, being an old hooligan and influencing folks to buy Urals.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #1092
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Yes, MrCob! You are doing a great job and appreciate the talks we have had. We are (Spirit and I ) right behind you...
Should be getting the taste of "Terra Explorer" in about 10 days or less....

Stay well, Ara and Spirit.
From somewhere on the endless Road...
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #1093
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Yes, MrCob! You are doing a great job and appreciate the talks we have had. We are (Spirit and I ) right behind you...
Should be getting the taste of "Terra Explorer" in about 10 days or less....

Howdy Ara,

Be well my friend, I think your going to like the Ural, its SLOWER then your Beemer but it will take you on the type of roads that you and Spirit enjoy.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #1094
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Slower is good. A lot of photography you know. Probably a couple dozen u turns per day!!!
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
Thank you.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #1095
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Another "bad batch" problem to add to final drives and swingarms failing. http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...hp?f=5&t=22954
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote