Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #1171
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
All who actually ride the damned things and have knowledge of them and their limitations have said over and over again you can't expect for the most part a 70 year old bike with a few modern up grades to perform to the standards one would expect from a contemporary design, built to modern production standards.
Go back to drinking the red cordial Mr. Cob. Apart from a few seals and bearings, just what parts of a 2012 Ural ARE a 70 year old design? Not the frame - it has a swingarm. Not the engine. Not the gearbox - it has reverse. Not the 12 volt electrics with alternator and starter motor. Not the CV carbs. And given all the defects occurring - it's NOT built to "modern production standards".

Perhaps your ability to get free replacement parts as a "tester" clouds your judgement. People who pay "real" money for a product tend to have different expectations. Swingarms breaking, final drives breaking, engines breaking, gearboxes breaking, brakes failing, alternator adaptors failing, where does it end? A modern manufacture of a mechanical product should be looking at a failure rate of less than 0.01%. Ural is somewhere about 5-10%. Yes 90-95% of Ural owners are happy.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #1172
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
...perpetuated by YOURSELF and those who just plain hate Ural's.
I certainly don't hate Urals in general (though I may hate mine). I hope they improve greatly as I love the idea and look of them. I'm going to be honest about the experiences of mine and what I've read from others though. If I post something false, just quote it then reply with the accurate information.

I know all the old hands here have a very clear idea already of what a Ural is and is not but there are tons of lurkers, non-regulars, and arrived-here-through-a-searchers who may not be so blessed with a depth of Ural knowledge as yourselves.
If final drives tend to fail or front brakes have on several occasions given out on mountain roads then certainly that is useful for new or prospective owners.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #1173
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
it's NOT built to "modern production standards".

Hooray!!!

He finally gets it!!!

Indeed, it's NOT built to "modern production standards", ergo it will not receive the benefits of modern production methods, it will be more expensive to produce, it will have more variations in quality, and have a greater chance for error.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

windmill screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 01:27 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #1174
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
You admit driving a dangerous vehicle for 6 months? Idiot.

There seems to be a lot of people on here who leap to conclusions
, I suppose you think that as I come from England I have bad teeth drink warm beer and know the queen, wrong on all 3 counts.

It does seem that Bokad has had a large barrel of shit thrown his way with the bike he has. He can't sell it until he gets back to the states and is stuck with it until then. In the meantime he is letting us know of the troubles he is finding with his bike, why berate him so much? It aint like he is climbing of your mother and saying she is a shit fuck is he?
[/I]
So you are leaping to a conclusion about me and what I assume? All I see when I look at England is a country that lost to India, New Zealand, Scotland, and to the French and a young country made up of indentured servants now called the USA in wars. I also see a country that would be speaking German if it wasn't for the US and Russia. So to answer your question, no I don't think you have bad teeth, drink warm beer, and know the queen. Thank you for making an ass of yourself though by making an assumption about me.

How am I an idiot? I didn't have an accident. I had perfectly fine stopping power with the rear and sidecar brake. Where does it say you must have front brakes?
Hell for one day I only had the sidecar brake. The spring snapped on the rear brake. My 4 years riding experience must be insane if I can make it 20+ miles with just a sidecar brake. Hell I went on the highway and did 65mph and all. If I can handle it, anyone can. I assure you I am not the best driver around.

The point is the same one here. If the OP is in such danger, he should ditch the rig. No amount of money is worth the risk of my life or my loved ones. I would assume any sane person would feel that way. If the Ural in question is truly the unpredictable death trap the OP claims, then why the fuck would he still ride it? There is no excuse. The only reasons are, he is a fucking idiot, he doesn't value his life or his loved ones, or he knows he is to blame for the majority of the issues. There is no excuse for keeping the bike at this point.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #1175
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
That would e one way to look at it. I see it as either the brake is not appropriate for the size and weight of the Ural or that there were contaminants in the fluid.

A Urals brakes are marginal but entirely adequate for the application, all the components (except mount brackets) used in the front the brake system are used by many other manufacturers, and are known to be of high quality. As Scott pointed out, if they were not, it would not have passed DOT certification.

Brake fluid is hydro.....something or other, I forget the word...... It absorbs moisture over time which boils at a lower point than brake fluid and also causes internal corrosion. Your being in tropical marine conditions, the fluid was probably overdue to be changed and had absorbed too much moisture. Check your Master cylinder also, you may find some contamination build up in it to
Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #1176
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Unless you were dangerously tailgating the car in front of you and "IF" the rig was in as you said 1st gear, I find it real hard to understand why you hit the car. I mean how fucking fast can a Ural go in first gear, I can LOCK the rear brakes up on my Ural at the speed the damned thing will go in 1st gear with out even touching the front brake. did you STAND on the rear brake pedal, did you turn the kill switch OFF, did you swerve if conditions allowed it in an attempt to prevent the crash? Did you HONESTLY do everything you could to stop the rig before hitting the car, or were you not paying attention to the situation as you crept up to close to the car in front of you and then failed to take every action you could to prevent the crash?
I was going about 20mph in 1st gear down the hill when the the brake failed.
If you can't imagine a scenario where a car suddenly stopping in front of you and you finding you don't have any front brakes results in you hitting the car then you just aren't trying. Sure I could have hit something else instead but really the car was the best option. I'm not saying I rammed the thing at light speed for gods sake.
But that's fine. Fault me if you want. Say I was tailgating or don't know how to brake properly. I'm sure that I wasn't 100% on the ball and there may have been 5 or 10% that I could have done differently. And blame those other riders whose front brakes failed too. I don't expect any different. I just expect the usual, blame anything or anyone, but don't admit that the bike failed.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #1177
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
A Urals brakes are marginal but entirely adequate for the application, all the components (except mount brackets) used in the front the brake system are used by many other manufacturers, and are known to be of high quality. As Scott pointed out, if they were not, it would not have passed DOT certification.
I agree the Brembo is a fine brake. Maybe something more than a single small disc brake would be appropriate for a vehicle that is spec'd for a max weight of 1340lbs? Isn't that sort of the purpose of the manufacturer listing a max weight? Aren't they saying "this is the weight at which the vehicle may be operated reliably and safely"? Forgive me for thinking that my new Ural could handle the same road as the hundreds of other old, beaten up, over loaded vehicles on it.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #1178
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Ural crew, want to make me just a little bit happy?

Say this:
"It is unsafe and not ok for any vehicles front brakes to completely fail while being driven under normal conditions"

You agree with that don't you? Say it without quibbling about the driver didn't know what he was doing or it happened on a BMW once too, etc...

Then say:
"The front brakes on a Ural have failed for several people under normal driving conditions"

Now, read statement one and two and connect them together in your mind.

bokad screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 02:48 AM
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #1179
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
The point is the same one here. If the OP is in such danger, he should ditch the rig. If the Ural in question is truly the unpredictable death trap the OP claims, then why the fuck would he still ride it?
Did I say I was in "such danger"? Did I say it is an "unpredictable death trap" ? Or are you just making things up and saying that I said them? Please show me!

I know that it is an unreliable POS and drive at appropriate speeds and conditions with appropriate gear. Given the slow speeds and three wheel stability of the outfit I continue to ride it knowing and accepting that while something might happen it will probably result in a minor injury. You could never ride anywhere (especially in Asia) if you didn't accept some level of risk.

But hey, keep going, focus the conversation on everything but the fact that the Ural front brake has failed for quite a few people and that that is unacceptable.

bokad screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 02:10 AM
Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #1180
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
I wasn't there, didn't see what happened, but I tend to believe that your technique played some contribution to the brake failing.
What I can say is that I was using a combination of engine braking in 1st and 2nd gear, rear brakes, and front brake. It was also a stretch of road I had done before with the same load-out and without problems. The transmission unfortunately does not go any lower than first. For what balance of rear and front brakes I was using and how long I was holding each, nobody could say exactly. The road was steep and curvy but not incredibly so. A low speed was dictated by the tight curves and other traffic. Obviously since the brake failed I had pushed it beyond it's limit. It seems like a very low threshold for failure.

bokad screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 05:55 AM
Old 07-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #1181
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
some of the bullshite that keeps getting posted here has to be rebutted.
Please state exactly which "bullshite" you believe to be untrue?

Do you deny that several people's front brake has failed under normal driving conditions?
Or is it something else?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #1182
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 185
Man, this raging pussy fest belongs on "oil threads" over on Soviet Steeds, there's no end in sight! You've got to love the Internet!

Just think, if all the naysayers here had expended half as much energy learning how to get grease under their fingernails as they have whining about leaky trunk lids and wavy speedo needles, we'd have a network of badass Ural-fixin' experts circling the globe, ready to help all the poor misled RPOC buyers when their exploded (final drive/machine gun mount/turn signal flasher) gets (scalding hot oil/gasoline stink/bug juice) all over their (fancy pinstriped pants/J. Crew cardigan/tinfoil hat).

Gosh, I've owned like fifty bikes, and maybe I'm some kind of brain-dead oaf, but it seems like every last one of the damn things has screwed up in multiple ways. After all, they are just a collection of parts of varying quality, assembled and adjusted by persons of varying ineptitude. I guess the thrill of being alive, the unbelievable good fortune to be able to explore this great big beautiful planet on my bikes, and my awareness of finite temporal resources has kind of dampened my enthusiasm for documenting every single flaw on even my most loathed and troublesome machines. The worst of which have still been a hell of a lot more fun smoking on the side of the road than any day at the office.

What the hell am I writing this crap down for, it's 3 AM, I'm going for a ride!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #1183
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
How am I an idiot? I didn't have an accident. I had perfectly fine stopping power with the rear and sidecar brake. Where does it say you must have front brakes?
Hell for one day I only had the sidecar brake. The spring snapped on the rear brake. My 4 years riding experience must be insane if I can make it 20+ miles with just a sidecar brake. Hell I went on the highway and did 65mph and all. If I can handle it, anyone can. I assure you I am not the best driver around.

How are you an idiot? Instead of fixing you brakes you carry on without having the most powerful brake working (the front brake is the most powerful due to weight transfer etc), then you admit you only had the sidecar brake!!
I have ridden with fucked brakes until I got to my destination, then fixed them, they are quite important you know? Now I dont know how things work in your country, but I am pretty sure if you had been pulled over by the police whilst riding with defective brakes you would have received some sore of punishment for it, be it a fine or whatever.
Also, not only were you endangering your own life (which no one cares about, not even you) but other peoples, if a child had run in front of you, your stopping ability would have been approx 50% down.

So, yes, you ARE an idiot.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #1184
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpoweredmonkey View Post
Just think, if all the naysayers here had expended half as much energy learning how to get grease under their fingernails as they have whining about leaky trunk lids and wavy speedo needles, we'd have a network of badass Ural-fixin' experts circling the globe,
Excellent argument tactic! Pick the most minor points and then ridicule them in an attempt to discredit the larger subject!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #1185
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
To quote your own writing: "I'm known to whine, whinge, bitch, and complain. I'm may also be opinionated and prone to stereotyping."

Uh huh, like AA, recognition of your problems is the first step to recovery.......

Sell the Ural, get a car and move one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Excellent argument tactic! Pick the most minor points and then ridicule them in an attempt to discredit the larger subject!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote