User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #1186
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Can you not read?

Bokad cannot sell the bike until he returns home.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #1187
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Excellent argument tactic! Pick the most minor points and then ridicule them in an attempt to discredit the larger subject!
I think you missed his larger points about Ural manufacturing. Seems to me JetMonkey is in your corner.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #1188
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Sure can, and have read more than enough to know that Lucky should go home and sell his sh*tty Ural to someone who will appreciate it.

He is clearly unprepared and unable to to deal with life on the road, at least with a Ural.

It isn't working out between them, get a divorce and move on to a more suitable partner, the whining has become irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Can you not read?

Bokad cannot sell the bike until he returns home.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #1189
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
Look on the bright side.

In a couple more weeks, bokad will have had enough failures and so many replaced parts that he will have the equivalent of a brand new Ural, and can resume with a clean slate (and hopefully a more typical ownership experience).
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #1190
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
Look on the bright side.

In a couple more weeks, bokad will have had enough failures and so many replaced parts that he will have the equivalent of a brand new Ural, and can resume with a clean slate (and hopefully a more typical ownership experience).
You sir are indeed an optimist of the finest kind!
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #1191
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Sell the Ural, get a car and move one.
Is there like some sort of like group think Ural collective where an existing cadre of insiders get to decide who should and should not own a a Ural and when they should own it and what they should do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
He is clearly unprepared and unable to to deal with life on the road, at least with a Ural.
Wow, judgemental much? Who said anything about trip problems? The Ural is a POS and we progress and move along anyway.

Again, excellent job! Avoid the real issues (ie. front brakes shouldn't fail) and divert to anything else instead!

bokad screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 07:10 AM
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #1192
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I am willing to bet the thread has driven the sales of Urals up.

As far as 70 year old tech. look at the equipment they use at the factory. I have been in the mfg. industry for a long time and some of the machinery in the videos is of 30's, 40's, & 50's vintage. Albeit motor driven, but lets face it it is not modern CNC machinery, no where do you see CMMs or other technical measuring equipment, no robotic welders, no climate control, no clean room. my grandfather used to say to "they don't make them like they used to" to which I would reply "Thank God for that". With that said I chose to buy a Ural because it was not made to modern specs and methods, but instead to a older simpler times and manual methods. I knew what I was getting, how much it cost, it's limitations, it's drawbacks, it's most likely problems, and purchased it anyway.

It's a
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #1193
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
Quote:
Is there like some sort of like group think Ural collective where an existing cadre of insiders get to decide who should and should not own a a Ural and when they should own it and what they should do with it?

Highly doubtful.

I think the real issue is that you have spent alot of time and effort on this thread, putting forth your experiences and viewpoints when that time would have been better served doing maintenance, learning the finer points and limitations of your machine, and overall just relaxing and enjoying your trip, warts and all. Isn't that what adventure is?

Listen: When it comes to spirited debate and the rather free-for-all nature of ADV, I'll fling poo just as fast as any other monkey in here. All fairly good natured and needlessly retarded.

When it comes to another member damned near becoming a smoking hole in the ground, the fun stops.

I don't know you from Adam, but you seem like a determined, intelligent and generally decent guy.

But you have seriously lost your perspective, Bokad, and you've let this crap become far too personal, and you sure as hell aren't the only one.

Maybe your bike is complete crap.

Maybe you are falling short in the operation, maintenance and understanding of the bikes limitations and abilities.

Maybe it's both.

Maybe it's neither and you are just experiencing some really, really crappy luck.

I don't know.

Here's what I do know, however....

All the time you've spent on this thread is time you could have better spent enjoying your trip.

You've put forth your arguments, gotten rebuttals, and on and on...it's like picking at a scab, man. Have you won anything? Changed anyone's mind?

Where has it gotten you, or anyone else?

What should be an exciting and fun trip for you is now sounding like a real drag-fest.

Judging by this thread, your whole trip is now one endless battle between you and your Ural. Not one word on any of the sights you've seen, neat things you've experienced, people you've met.

Let it go.

Get on with your day. Relax and enjoy what you have in the here and now and stop wasting your energy on needless angst.

Life is too fucking short, dude.

I mean, I'm chained to a damned desk most of the time these days.

But YOU are out there, right now, doing crap I can only dream about for now.

Fuck, man! Don't waste your time on this b.s. anymore.

Get out there and live. That's where the winning is to be found.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #1194
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
The Ural "failures" are the least of your real problems Lucky.

Since it is clear you intend to continue down your unhappy path (and continue posting about it) I can only conclude you are a masochist. Perhaps you could pitch a reality TV show to the networks based on your continuing saga of woe?

I am sure somewhere there would be an audience willing to pay for this high drama and pathos.

Quote:

Wow, judgemental much? Who said anything about trip problems? The Ural is a POS and we progress and move along anyway.

Again, excellent job! Avoid the real issues (ie. front brakes shouldn't fail) and divert to anything else instead!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #1195
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Highly doubtful.

I think the real issue is that you have spent alot of time and effort on this thread, putting forth your experiences and viewpoints when that time would have been better served doing maintenance, learning the finer points and limitations of your machine, and overall just relaxing and enjoying your trip, warts and all. Isn't that what adventure is?

Listen: When it comes to spirited debate and the rather free-for-all nature of ADV, I'll fling poo just as fast as any other monkey in here. All fairly good natured and needlessly retarded.

When it comes to another member damned near becoming a smoking hole in the ground, the fun stops.

I don't know you from Adam, but you seem like a determined, intelligent and generally decent guy.

But you have seriously lost your perspective, Bokad, and you've let this crap become far too personal, and you sure as hell aren't the only one.

Maybe your bike is complete crap.

Maybe you are falling short in the operation, maintenance and understanding of the bikes limitations and abilities.

Maybe it's both.

Maybe it's neither and you are just experiencing some really, really crappy luck.

I don't know.

Here's what I do know, however....

All the time you've spent on this thread is time you could have better spent enjoying your trip.

You've put forth your arguments, gotten rebuttals, and on and on...it's like picking at a scab, man. Have you won anything? Changed anyone's mind?

Where has it gotten you, or anyone else?

What should be an exciting and fun trip for you is now sounding like a real drag-fest.

Judging by this thread, your whole trip is now one endless battle between you and your Ural. Not one word on any of the sights you've seen, neat things you've experienced, people you've met.

Let it go.

Get on with your day. Relax and enjoy what you have in the here and now and stop wasting your energy on needless angst.

Life is too fucking short, dude.

I mean, I'm chained to a damned desk most of the time these days.

But YOU are out there, right now, doing crap I can only dream about for now.

Fuck, man! Don't waste your time on this b.s. anymore.

Get out there and live. That's where the winning is to be found.
Heyload for the win!

He's right Bokad,
Leave it be. It's like arguing with a religous or political zealot. You can't win and you won't change his mind. You did create an awesome thread and I think it will be edifying to people researching Urals for potential purchase. It's all been left on the field!

Now, get on with your trip and save the postings for awesome pics of your sights and good times.
Good luck & be safe!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #1196
sspect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
+2 for Heyload

Well said......
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1197
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
I was going about 20mph in 1st gear down the hill when the the brake failed.
If you can't imagine a scenario where a car suddenly stopping in front of you and you finding you don't have any front brakes results in you hitting the car then you just aren't trying. Sure I could have hit something else instead but really the car was the best option. I'm not saying I rammed the thing at light speed for gods sake.
But that's fine. Fault me if you want. Say I was tailgating or don't know how to brake properly. I'm sure that I wasn't 100% on the ball and there may have been 5 or 10% that I could have done differently. And blame those other riders whose front brakes failed too. I don't expect any different. I just expect the usual, blame anything or anyone, but don't admit that the bike failed.
Let me get this straight, in one of your posts you said you were using the engine as a brake while going down the mountain, in this post you say you were traveling at 20 miles per hour in 1st gear; 20 mph in 1st gear is pretty damn well fully wound out for a Ural, its hardly what I would call using the engine as a brake. At that speed going down hill on a steep mountain road with the low compression ratio of the Ural engine you would have next to NOTHING when it came to engine braking power. You continually prove you DON'T how to drive the Ural in a safe and efficient manner. Its no wonder your having the trouble that you are, I sincerely hope you don't end up seriously injuring or killing yourself or your loved one.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1198
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
I do appreciate your honest thoughts and agree with most of them. However, I think you've misunderstood some things.

Why would you judge the trip by the "don't by a Ural" thread instead of the ride report thread. Different topics in different places, ya know. Ride report is where the "sights seen", "things experienced", "people met" stuff goes.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #1199
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
Please note as quoted "Judging by this thread..."

Let it go....let it go....

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #1200
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Let me get this straight, in one of your posts you said you were using the engine as a brake while going down the mountain, in this post you say you were traveling at 20 miles per hour in 1st gear; 20 mph in 1st gear is pretty damn well fully wound out for a Ural, its hardly what I would call using the engine as a brake. At that speed going down hill on a steep mountain road with the low compression ratio of the Ural engine you would have next to NOTHING when it came to engine braking power. You continually prove you DON'T how to drive the Ural in a safe and efficient manner. Its no wonder your having the trouble that you are, I sincerely hope you don't end up seriously injuring or killing yourself or your loved one.
20mph in 1st is approx 4400 RPM IIRC. That's the speed reached in 1st without giving it any gas. Steep hill, heavy bike. It sure as hell is doing some engine braking. Tell ya what, it sure went alot slower in 1st gear than it did in 2nd.
Seriously. You claim I don't know how to drive a Ural. Tell me then oh wise one which gear would have made it go slower?
Are you saying it would have more engine braking and lower speed in a higher gear? Sure didn't act that way!

Yes Cobb, my fault final drive broke, my fault swing arm broke, my fault brakes failed. Heck, those identical problems on others people's bikes are probably my fault too. It sure couldn't be a fault with Ural, right?

Hey, what about those other guys that had their front brake fail as well. Was that my/their fault too?

bokad screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 08:44 AM