Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #1201
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Please note as quoted "Judging by this thread..."

Let it go....let it go....
Well seriously, don't judge my entire existence by one thread on one forum.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #1202
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
I'm not...I just think you'd be happier for it in the end.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1203
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I think Lucky only exists for this thread, it is the sole purpose of his life. Without it...POOF...he would disappear from this mortal plane.
He and the Ural are Ying and Yang, they each only exist because of the other.
And also he exisits for endless hours of searching forums to gather evidence of his theories.
Doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Quote:

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 08:01 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #1204
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
20mph in 1st is approx 4400 RPM IIRC. That's the speed reached in 1st without giving it any gas. Steep hill, heavy bike. It sure as hell is doing some engine braking. Tell ya what, it sure went alot slower in 1st gear than it did in 2nd.
So, what is your opinion of which gear should have been used for maximum engine braking?
Are you saying it would have more engine braking and lower speed in a higher gear? Sure didn't act that way!

Hey, what about those other guys that had their front brake fail as well. Was that their fault too?
Again, "in my opinion" you truly don't understand some of the basics of how a machine works. On a LOW compression engine such as the Ural, at high rpm the force of gravity acting on the weight of the loaded machine going down hill adding in the momentum of the rolling rig there will be next to NOTHING when it comes to engine braking power.

"IF" on that same hill, with the same load, in 1st gear you had been traveling at 5mph and let the rig roll down the hill until it reached say for example 15 mph and then got on the brakes HARD to bring it again back down to 5 mph you would have been using the engine as a brake. As the rig rolled down the hill from 5 mph to 15 mph compression would have been working against gravity by the time you let the rig reach 20 mph the the low compression was no longer doing squat to slow the rig down.

Haven't you ever driven in mountain roads where there are HUGE signs telling truck drivers to use lower gears and not to exceed certain speeds? The signs don't mean to start from the top of the hill at 60 mph and then use lower gears to slow down as they travel down the mountain, it means START at a slower speed to begin with. Is it really that difficult to see where your driving technique "MAY" have contributed to this bad situation. Like I said, "I" wasn't there but you continually post things that cause an experienced Ural rider to honestly question your ability to "judge" the limitations of both the Ural and yourself as its driver.

I just might be totally wrong in suggesting that your ability behind the bars of the Ural has much to do with your problems but you have posted nothing to sway me from that opinion and that's what it is an opinion.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #1205
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
How are you an idiot? Instead of fixing you brakes you carry on without having the most powerful brake working (the front brake is the most powerful due to weight transfer etc), then you admit you only had the sidecar brake!!
I have ridden with fucked brakes until I got to my destination, then fixed them, they are quite important you know? Now I dont know how things work in your country, but I am pretty sure if you had been pulled over by the police whilst riding with defective brakes you would have received some sore of punishment for it, be it a fine or whatever.
Also, not only were you endangering your own life (which no one cares about, not even you) but other peoples, if a child had run in front of you, your stopping ability would have been approx 50% down.

So, yes, you ARE an idiot.
You jumped to another conclusion again. Awesome. You bitch at everyone for jumping to conclusions and then do it yourself. Why don't you ask me why I waited so long to fix my front brake? Why don't you ask me where I was heading when my rear brake spring broke?

Why no front brake?

The part was not in stock. A new front brake disc was on back order forever. Mine was pretty well cooked. The whole master was cooked in fact. As soon as "Ural parts" went back to Ural it suddenly became available. So my options were man up and learn how to ride the fucking thing, or start a bitching thread on ADV. I decided to not let it ruin my fun.

Where I was going when the rear brake spring broke?

I was headed to my local Ural dealer. I knew it would be easier to fix the issue there.

So please keep doing what you have been getting pissed over. You ASSume as much as the next person.

No cop would have pulled me over. I wasn't speeding or driving recklessly. How would any cop know my brakes aren't 100 percent. When you get pulled over in the UK they take your bike for a test ride? Somehow I missed that when I lived there.

If a child ran out onto the highway, there are 3 wide open lanes and a shoulder. Also, I have never seen a kid run out in the middle of a highway, have you? The rest of the roads were 30mph. If you can't stop the bike with just the sidecar brake and down shifting at 30mph, you shouldn't even be riding. This is also leaving out simply reacting properly by swerving to avoid someone.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1206
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
"IF" on that same hill, with the same load, in 1st gear you had been traveling at 5mph and let the rig roll down the hill until it reached say for example 15 mph and then got on the brakes HARD to bring it again back down to 5 mph you would have been using the engine as a brake. As the rig rolled down the hill from 5 mph to 15 mph compression would have been working against gravity by the time you let the rig reach 20 mph the the low compression was no longer doing squat to slow the rig down.
I asked a direct question. You said I was in the wrong gear, which gear should I have been in?
Do you thinking jumping down in speed from 15 or 20 to 5mph is really the right thing to do in traffic?
Do you realize that it might be necessary to keep a minimum speed to keep from getting smooshed from behind?
It just amazes me that you can say that rolling in 1st gear the engine "was no longer doing squat to slow the rig down." Because boy, pull in the clutch and does it ever speed up. Funny it should do that if the engine wasn't doing anything to slow down the rig.

I asked another direct question which you conveniently avoided. Those other people that have identical problems to mine, those other swing arm, final drive, and failed brakes, is that their fault too?
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #1207
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Those of us who like the brand, own them, ride them, break them, fix them and then ride them some more have been more then HONEST in admitting that the machines have faults, I don't see where anyone even the most die hard Uralista has ever said or claimed that the machines were perfect or anywhere near perfect.
+1

Last year when I decided to bought the Gear Up, I found the video of Mr. Cob, then some forums (english, russian and french).
After my first ride, 2850km from the factory to home, did I notice discrepancies between the reports done by Ural's owner and the reality? No.
Reading the reports was my "only preparation" for the ride, never ride a sidecar before...

Did I carry tools with me? Nothing excepted the one's given with the Ural.
Maintenance? Motor oil changed at 1300km then gearbox and FD at the arrival...
At today's day the Ural Gear Up reach 17000km without any mechanical problems there is some minors issue but it's the result of the roads or to be honest my speed wasn't really adapted or should I say "speed" as the last 6700km were covered by my friend Nikolai.

If Mr Cob is at the origin of my decision to get a Gear Up, Dmitry from Ural NE is the one for my new Retro after he published some pictures of a nice White&Black Retro.
Yes, like "bokad" I have now 2 Ural but that's the only common point, I give to both of them a "hard life" 2850km straight from the factory for the Gear Up and 3620km for the Retro, ok I should admit I have been a little bit gentle with the Retro and this time the oil was changed at 500km (motor,gearbox and FD) and I should do an other oil change after this ride.

05/25 my frame at the factory

05/29 Kirov 1000km from the factory

06/03 Novorossiysk after 3620km
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #1208
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristof Granit View Post
That is one very fine looking Ural. I really like the white on the Retro.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #1209
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Hi Kristof,

Really nice bike, congratulations!

And thanks for sharing your positive experience, we all can agree that Urals have many quirks but they are definitely unique and fun machines (for most of us).

I really admire the fact that you bought at the factory and rode her home.

Quote:
+1

06/03 Novorossiysk after 3620km

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1210
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
That is one very fine looking Ural. I really like the white on the Retro.
Picture from Yekaterinburg: now the reflectors (on the sidecar and the forks) have been removed, latter I will change the turn lights.

The main "problem" with 2 Ural in the garage it's to decide wich one to take for a ride...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #1211
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post

I really admire the fact that you bought at the factory and rode her home.
Thank you, in fact the reality it's : I drove them home...
Nikolai drove from home to the factory with the Gear Up them we both went to Moscow and back to the south 6700km for him.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #1212
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Picture from Yekaterinburg: now the reflectors (on the sidecar and the forks) have been removed, latter I will change the turn lights.

The main "problem" with 2 Ural in the garage it's to decide wich one to take for a ride...
We should all be "cursed" with such a problem. Beautiful bike!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #1213
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Bokad,

Forget about what some people are saying about you, stop recounting the event, and figure out what happened!

Yes, your brake failed.
Giving you the benefit of doubt that it wasn't operator error. then it had to be contaminated fluid, corrosion on the caliper, debris, or a bent brake mount. It didn't just happen without some cause at 9000km, it had nothing to do with Ural OC , improper dealer setup, it's not a "bad batch" issue.
It has to be either lack of maintenance, or it was physically damaged, which is it?

You really need to figure it out, your lives depend on it.

Please try to remember, the opinions of a few abrasive Ural enthusiasts do not represent all Ural owners, saying the "Ural crowd" and other broad brush statements are not justified.

As you like to point out, there have been many threads on many forums about problems with Urals, and they have not become epic pissing matches like this one. Whats the common denominator? Have you ever considered that it could be your peripheral statements, and not your mechanical issues that have been the real issue with many?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #1214
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
I asked a direct question. You said I was in the wrong gear, which gear should I have been in?
Do you thinking jumping down in speed from 15 or 20 to 5mph is really the right thing to do in traffic?
Do you realize that it might be necessary to keep a minimum speed to keep from getting smooshed from behind?
It just amazes me that you can say that rolling in 1st gear the engine "was no longer doing squat to slow the rig down." Because boy, pull in the clutch and does it ever speed up. Funny it should do that if the engine wasn't doing anything to slow down the rig.

I asked another direct question which you conveniently avoided. Those other people that have identical problems to mine, those other swing arm, final drive, and failed brakes, is that their fault too?
Please point out to me in a direct "quote" where I said you were in the wrong gear. Trying to talk to or explain anything to you is like talking to a brick wall. Just because traffic is moving at speed doesn't mean its SAFE for you to also travel at that speed.

If you have to pull over to let faster traffic pass then do it, if your on a road where for what ever reason you can't pull over but you continue to travel at an unsafe speed to keep from getting "smooshed from behind" then perhaps you have no business being on that road to begin with, if its the only road you can use to get where your going then it is up to YOU to travel at a safe speed and the rest of the traffic be damned.

If you don't understand and put into practice the basic concepts of engine braking on a Ural I hope for the sake of the rest of the drivers on the road you never take the wheel of a large truck, and yes there was a time I drove truck for a living and still drive a one ton dually diesel pulling a 38 foot fifth wheel trailer when I go to places like Death Valley and other remote spots to play in. As such I know how to use the engine as a brake, know when to pull over and let others pass and know when to pick a different road not only for the convenience of others but for my and my passengers safety.

At first when you started this thread I kinda felt sorry for your troubles, as it continues and it becomes more and more evident that you truly are not in possession of some basic skills and are in need of being an "Internet legend" I have come to view you and your whining with contempt and disgust. I rarely voice such opinion but some folks yourself included just bring out the "Cob" side of my personality.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #1215
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
I think Ural did have a recall on some of the rear hydralic brakes and sidecar brakes for about 3-4 consecutive years. Maybe the front brakes are catching up on the failures?

I don't know how well the 750 OHV can engine brake, but a 750 SV in the mild foothills of Germany, from a 5mph rolling start in first gear, will eventually, under the power of gravity, exceed the RPM's and speed it's capable of under its own power. It's really scary having to rely on the motorcycle's (no sidecar brake) hard, nasty, oil-soaked, "lineoleum" brake shoes for the whole ride down the mountain.
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote