Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #1261
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Now though, I will be saving my money and may invest it in my current outfit an other bikes,
Have fun! It's your choice if you want to miss out...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #1262
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Have fun! It's your choice if you want to miss out...
I love your speed limit quote in your signature!
Do I sound cool if I tell you I was doing right at 70 on my 650 when the wrist pin decided to start digging into my cylinder??? I think I found the end of ts comfort zone!
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #1263
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
I love your speed limit quote in your signature!
Do I sound cool if I tell you I was doing right at 70 on my 650 when the wrist pin decided to start digging into my cylinder??? I think I found the end of ts comfort zone!
Ouch! I think you did...

Some people find it odd that I have no interest in old bikes, but I do like old-style bikes. They need a particular kind of mindset that some people don't understand, but they repay those who do many times over.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #1264
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
Seriously? The list would be a lot shorter the other way around.

The parts NOT a 70 year old design: electronic ignition, front disk brake, electric starter, alternator. Just because the materials may be newer, or produced with better equipment, doesn't mean the overall design is any better. If I built the Wright Brother's plane out of aircraft aluminum, that doesn't make it handle like an F-16. Likewise, if I added an actual jet engine, that still doesn't make it behave like a modern plane. I'm not saying your brakes didn't crap out of their own accord, but I simply don't agree with you on the "modern bike" statements.

BTW, glad you're not dead. That's scary shite when the unexpected happens, regardless of where the fault lies.

~HA
Obviously, you have you ever even seen an R-71 or M-72.

New Urals have:
overhead valves, (not sidevalves)
auto-advancing electronic ignition, (not manual advance points/breakers)
constant velocity (CV) carbs, (not slide carbs with manual air chokes)
electronic starters, (not kick start only)
reverse gearboxes that do not require adjustment, (not 4-forward only)
12 volt alternators, (not 6v generators/dynamos)
rear shocks/swingarms, (not coil spring plungers)
swingarm sidecar suspension, (not directly frame mounted or leaf-sprung)
modern telescopic or leading link forks, (not oil dampened spring forks)
a hydraulic front disc brake, (not a cable operated drum)
full width wheel hubs, (not half hub wheels with alternating spoke lengths)
paper air filters, (not oil bath air filtration)
paper oil filters, (not internal oil slingers)
three wheel stopping power, (not just the front and rear motorcycle brakes)
catalytic converters,
turn signals,
kill switches.

The ONLY thing an M-72 and a modern Ural rig have in common is the sidecar tub. The Ural motorcycle itself is ENTIRELY different than an M-72 except for maybe the cush drive donut and some final drive components.
It's now 2012 and BMW still hasn't made a commercially available reverse gearbox, automatic gearbox, or 2WD yet the Soviets did as far back as the early 1970's (and 10 years earlier on ALL their military rigs). Hmmm, are you sure they're not modern???

gspell68 screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 04:30 AM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #1265
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 95
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
If you look for a short period of time at any rider group for a given manufacture of bike you will also find many who just take the bike as-is.. There are many of us who are intimately involved with the internal workings of the ural engine/ drivetrain who communicate with each other about modifications openly. The most obvious being Cob. Did you know many of the modifications to the ural in the past several years came from this experimentation and communication? Don't think the entire community of ural riders takes the status quo of the bike for granted. Search a little deeper into such topics as Cob's clutch disks, the origin of the Denso mount, etc..
I myself like my 650, weak crank and all, although I am pissed at it at the moment.
I have an almost unlimited supply of spare parts to fart around with, everything is cheap if you know where to look, and teardown and rebuild of the motor to test something new is a very short process, although my own modifications to my bike are simply slight tweaks to the existing design to fine tune it (if it can be fine tuned) and take out weak points such as manufacture's bearings, crappy electronics, etc...
Thanks Matman1972, yours is the type of reply I was hoping to see. I read several of Cob's post with great interest and was aware of his clutch plates. I did not know that the revised alternator mount originated with the Ural community. That is exactly the type of effort I was talking about. Instead of condescending criticism of those who bring up shortcomings, getting down to fabricating solutions. A few more like you two in the fold and there may be fewer people with experiences like bokad's.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #1266
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
But it shouldnt be down the the consumers to do this, it should be factory led.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #1267
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Apparently you haven't taken the time to learn a bit about me and my "brand" of bike. I am currently DOWN to 8 bikes in my stable, all different brands built to different jobs, dirt bikes for playing on the skinny trails, a RCK for knocking down 1,000 plus mile days , and R1 for being truly nuts, etc.

For years I have put up with the same stupidity when it comes to assholes many of whom have never even sat on a Hog let alone ride one talk about what pieces of shit they are. The same type of person seems to gravitate toward Hogs as does Ural's they like the look of the machine but don't have a fucking clue about learning to ride or how to maintain the bike but will piss and moan at the first broken fingernail, dead battery from lack of use, drop of oil on the floor etc. Both brands would be better served if the damned rubs would just go buy a Honda, oh and I have owned and ridden a few Honda's in my time too.

What I take seriously is someone who is partaking in what most of us would agree is the trip of a life time yet wastes his time on the net spewing his opinions and passing them off as a universal condemnation of an entire brand of motorcycle based on HIS limited experience. I would feel the same way if some loon started a thread called, "Why you should NOT buy a Harley, Honda, BMW, Kawasaki, KTM, Ducati, Yamaha,..................motorcycle".

Like I said and not in any bullshitting about this, if I were on a trip like bokad is, if I had the trouble he has had with the machine that he has had be it from bad quality control the fault of Ural or self induced malfunctions, if the rig had nearly killed me and my passenger according to him twice, if I couldn't sell it I would have stripped it of any identification and left it burning in a fucking ditch bought another machine and continued my journey.
Whatever. You like motorcycles. We all do here.
I'll say it again, if you're letting some internet guy get you so worked up that you hold him in sincere "contempt and disgust" for whatever brand of bike he doesn't happen to like, you're taking this all way too seriously. You've probably got more posts in this thread than Bokad. He's been playing all you guys!

Oh, and admitting you would potentially commit insurance fraud on the internet is a bad idea too, in case you ever have a claim.

MotoJ screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 06:31 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #1268
Heavy Armor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
But it shouldnt be down the the consumers to do this, it should be factory led.
With a limitless budget, sure, that would be great. Ural makes, what, roughly 2000 bikes a year? That's can't translate to a lot of income for development. I think a lot of people see Ural as this big international company, and don't realize just how small an operation it is now.

The fact you can get in touch directly with the people that run the whole show, and that Ural takes consumer recommendations and acts on them at all is pretty frikkin' impressive.

Not to mention, what you're implying (or the way I read it) is that the manufacturer should make everything the best it can possibly be. Unless your talking luxury vehicles, NO ONE does that. They all cut corners to make a product that works acceptably well for the price. The catch here is that "acceptable" is subjective, based entirely on one's expectations. I think most of us Ural owners aren't expecting that much. If it was up to the manufacturer to make everything the best it could be, there would be no such thing as aftermarket.

~HA
Heavy Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #1269
Heavy Armor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
Obviously, you have you ever even seen an R-71 or M-72.

New Urals have:
overhead valves, (not sidevalves)
auto-advancing electronic ignition, (not manual advance points/breakers)
constant velocity (CV) carbs, (not slide carbs with manual air chokes)
electronic starters, (not kick start only)
reverse gearboxes that do not require adjustment, (not 4-forward only)
12 volt alternators, (not 6v generators/dynamos)
rear shocks/swingarms, (not coil spring plungers)
swingarm sidecar suspension, (not directly frame mounted or leaf-sprung)
modern telescopic or leading link forks, (not oil dampened spring forks)
a hydraulic front disc brake, (not a cable operated drum)
full width wheel hubs, (not half hub wheels with alternating spoke lengths)
paper air filters, (not oil bath air filtration)
paper oil filters, (not internal oil slingers)
three wheel stopping power, (not just the front and rear motorcycle brakes)
catalytic converters,
turn signals,
kill switches.

The ONLY thing an M-72 and a modern Ural rig have in common is the sidecar tub. The Ural motorcycle itself is ENTIRELY different than an M-72 except for maybe the cush drive donut and some final drive components.
It's now 2012 and BMW still hasn't made a commercially available reverse gearbox, automatic gearbox, or 2WD yet the Soviets did as far back as the early 1970's (and 10 years earlier on ALL their military rigs). Hmmm, are you sure they're not modern???
Color me schooled. I was unaware of a lot of those (non-colored). So, not 70 years old, but still certainly not modern. Anyone got a timeline on when the other changes took place? I assume the electric starter is the most recent change...?

The red I knew about.

The stuff in blue I feel doesn't merit mentioning (JMHO). Certainly not the catalytic converter, since that's not even an improvement.

My sidecar has a swingarm (purple)??? I need to go look at that... never noticed!

~HA
Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #1270
Heavy Armor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Oh, and admitting you would potentially commit insurance fraud on the internet is a bad idea too, in case you ever have a claim.
Ha ha, he said he'd burn it. I don't think there was mention of making a claim on it. If I remember correctly, Mr. Cob has a history with incendiaries... maybe just a touch of pyromania?

~ha
Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #1271
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Whatever. You like motorcycles. We all do here.
I'll say it again, if you're letting some internet guy get you so worked up that you hold him in sincere "contempt and disgust" for whatever brand of bike he doesn't happen to like, you're taking this all way too seriously. You've probably got more posts in this thread than Bokad. He's been playing all you guys!

You clearly don't get it. Out of all Ural owners, I would say Cob has the most contact with them and is their biggest advocate and representative around. They have a long history together which both sides have been benefitted.

The Ural community is small and we all bend over backwards to help one another. Even after all the shit in this thread, most people would help the OP if he broke down near them. People take this personally because this is a family even if we don't want to admit it. IMWA is a small company. When there is a part needed that they don't have in stock, other Ural riders step up and send the extra part if they have it. Ural riders have a different connection then other brands.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #1272
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Group hug!

Dysfunctional family, but yes indeed, a family.

Since the dawn of the 'net, I have been member of different brand forums (IBMWR was one of the first on) including forums for my current stable of Rokon, URal, Honda ST and Argo (okay, at 8 wheels technically not a bike) and I would agree wholeheartedly that the Ural folks are the most likely to offer advice, tools, personal wrenching time, etc.

Definitely a different attitude of collective (communism from the bike's history?) belonging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
You clearly don't get it. Out of all Ural owners, I would say Cob has the most contact with them and is their biggest advocate and representative around. They have a long history together which both sides have been benefitted.

The Ural community is small and we all bend over backwards to help one another. Even after all the shit in this thread, most people would help the OP if he broke down near them. People take this personally because this is a family even if we don't want to admit it. IMWA is a small company. When there is a part needed that they don't have in stock, other Ural riders step up and send the extra part if they have it. Ural riders have a different connection then other brands.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #1273
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I think IMWA call you suckers.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #1274
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,275
Well said. Community is important specially when on the road full time. We are sitting in Salem now awaiting for our Gear Up to be delivered Wednesday and on set up to be #1 of a Special Edition called "Terra Explorer". Am I nervous? Apprehensive? Total opposite. How many Dealers would open up their home (with my Buddy "Spirit") for these few days? (We arrived too early!). How many Dealers would teach hands on all the vehicle's maintenance from A to Z? I already "did" one that was being set up... I am amazed at it's welcomed simplicity even compared to my 96 GS! So much looking forward to the continuation of this Journey on these narrow paths were a U Turn was an apprehension daily. And again, MrCob... Thanks for the much phone support of the Pre Dealer multitudes of questions.

Stay well, Ara and Spirit.
From somewhere on the endless Road...
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #1275
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
I think IMWA call you suckers.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote