Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #1276
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Seriously! What other company would make you think it is a good thing that you can do your own servicing and warranty work?

Can you charge them for your labour?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #1277
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Seriously! What other company would make you think it is a good thing that you can do your own servicing and warranty work?

BMW would go out of business in a heart beat if they did so!
In an average Lifetime of a GS (as an example) one will spend more money on Dealer Service than the bike's cost.
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #1278
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
I think IMWA call you suckers.
Really?........................Really?

Yet you and others criticize the "Uralistas" of having bad internet manners???
Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #1279
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:

Seriously?! Have you ever owned a 60's-70's-80's British anything with wheels?

OMG, the stories I could tell you about my brother's Triumph Spitfire...

EDIT: To be fair, though, the Land Rover our neighbor had was a nice bit of kit.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Heyload screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 08:07 AM
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #1280
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
You clearly don't get it. Out of all Ural owners, I would say Cob has the most contact with them and is their biggest advocate and representative around. They have a long history together which both sides have been benefitted.

The Ural community is small and we all bend over backwards to help one another. Even after all the shit in this thread, most people would help the OP if he broke down near them. People take this personally because this is a family even if we don't want to admit it. IMWA is a small company. When there is a part needed that they don't have in stock, other Ural riders step up and send the extra part if they have it. Ural riders have a different connection then other brands.
Get what? I think you missed my point.
If I was the OP I wouldn't accept any help from any of the posters who ran me down with such venom. It seems disingenuous, to say the least. Riders should help other riders regardless of marque. You don't get any kudos from me for calling another guy a pussy, asshole, etc., and then saying you'd help him if he was down. He's been down, and some people here just piled on him. Gleefully, I might add.

Anyway, I'm a member of a Forum for each of my bikes and I can assure you members of all are just as helpful and chummy as the Ural folks, as are members of just about any group of folks with similar interests. It could be a quilting circle! The Ural "cabal" isn't exceptional on that account.

What I've not seen on any of the other Forums is the hateful language directed against a guy who isn't as brainwashed as some of the "cabal" seem to be.

Granted, Bokad used some provocative language, but he kept his cool a lot more than some here, as another member pointed out.His posts didn't equal the responses he got.

I think he's just like a kid poking a hornet's nest for fun, at this point. You all fell for it. He's laughing his ass off in some internet cafe on the other side of the world right now!

Should I dim the lights for you guys now so you can have your group hug?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #1281
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:

America is a big place, with limited Ural dealers it's awesome that Ural will send you a replacement part and let you install it and still honor the warranty. What other company will do that. BMW dealerships are kinda rare here as well, so if your dealer is 300+ miles away, would you rather trailer your bike to the dealer and deal with that or put in your own part at home??

And an easily serviceable bike is awesome, way better than say my VMax or Venture or or or other bikes that if the specs are off you have to pull the cams, measure shims and all that crap. My Guzzis and my Ural are/were super easy to service bikes, that's a plus!!

But say you don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other, Ural will pay any shop you choose to replace the defective part. They overnight the part and send it with pre-paid shipping for the return defective part. Try that with any other mc company.......
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #1282
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
really?........................really?

Yet you and others criticize the "uralistas" of having bad internet manners???
rotflmao!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #1283
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So making a customer trailer their rig hundreds of miles for something minor that they can do themselves is a better solution?
How is giving the customer the additional options of doing it themselves or paying any legitimate MC shop to do the work a bad thing?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #1284
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Color me schooled. I was unaware of a lot of those (non-colored). So, not 70 years old, but still certainly not modern. Anyone got a timeline on when the other changes took place? I assume the electric starter is the most recent change...?
Most changes took place in the late 1950's and early 1960's. The e-start probably came out in the mid 1990's as an option depending on where the bike was destined to be sold.
Quote:
The red I knew about.
Quote:
The stuff in blue I feel doesn't merit mentioning (JMHO). Certainly not the catalytic converter, since that's not even an improvement.
The same with CV carbs. I know that some of them are auto-choking, so that's cool, but mostlty it's an EPA thing because they don't vent gas/fumes to the atmosphere.
Quote:
My sidecar has a swingarm (purple)??? I need to go look at that... never noticed!
Yep! Your sidecar has swingarm suspension! Some of the German R-71's had sidecars bolted directly to the frame. OUCH!
http://holopawcorvette.webpointusa.c...G_0031_NEW.JPG Items 7 and 18.

gspell68 screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 08:29 AM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #1285
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Clearly you have never seen some the flame wars on IBMWR..........................

When I was learning to do regular maintenance on my Ural, I had regular advice and personal support from fellow forum members (CURD) in my area.

The OP and his henchmen started by bashing the brand and its owners. We have all had bad experiences with machines, but please show me the thread in many years on forums where I posted "You Should Not Buy a BMW K100RS" or anything like it.

Fair use for him to post about his issues and there was help offered, but he and his cohorts went off on rants about deluded Ural owners.

If it had been contained to the statement "I will never buy a Ural again", that would be reasonable, but to attack everyone else who either currently owns or might want to own a Ural is over the top.

Sorry bud, but that is a personal attack and totally unwarranted.

The Cabal has met in judgement of you and decided you are a hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
If I was the OP I wouldn't accept any help from any of the posters who ran me down with such venom. It seems disingenuous, to say the least. Riders should help other riders regardless of marque. You don't get any kudos from me for calling another guy a pussy, asshole, etc., and then saying you'd help him if he was down. He's been down, and some people here just piled on him. Gleefully, I might add.

Anyway, I'm a member of a Forum for each of my bikes and I can assure you members of all are just as helpful and chummy as the Ural folks, as are members of just about any group of folks with similar interests. It could be a quilting circle! The Ural "cabal" isn't exceptional on that account.

What I've not seen on any of the other Forums is the hateful language directed against a guy who isn't as brainwashed as some of the "cabal" seem to be.

Granted, Bokad used some provocative language, but he kept his cool a lot more than some here, as another member pointed out.His posts didn't equal the responses he got.

I think he's just like a kid poking a hornet's nest for fun, at this point. You all fell for it. He's laughing his ass off in some internet cafe on the other side of the world right now!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #1286
immulmen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

Wow!
You don't get it.
You do not have to do the work yourself.
I don't have a new Ural but if I had the opportunity to do my own warranty work I would jump right on it. And I would not give a S if they paid me or not.
As for service and repair work the only time I have anyone else work on any of my vehicles is if I do not have the tools like an alignment machine for the car or a valve job.
Chris
immulmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #1287
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:

You get what you give, especially on the internet. In the beginning I personally tried to help Bokad with some of his issues, like don't stick the water hose in the air cleaner opening when washing the bike, how to adjust the brakes, others have tried to offer tips on how to ride a hack rig, it all fell on deaf ears and was met with retorts and insults.

I've known he's been doing the "poking a hornets nest" since the beginning, that's why after trying to help with no result, no thanks and the continued bullshit of his agenda here, I just fling shit and treat an idiot like an idiot. I'm having some fun with it, why not, this is mostly horseshit anyway.

The one sad and tragic thing is that since he doesn't listen to people trying to help, or who once did, now the fool hit a car from his own ignorance, he doesn't know how to operate or maintain the rig he's driving. And that would be okay if he didn't have an innocent victim sitting in the hack next to him....

This whole Poor Bokad thing is total bullshit, he has generated the animosity amongst this group, and by his own admission, he quite proudly admits to: " Some thoughts may be unrefined, blunt, offensive, or repetitious.
I'm known to whine, whinge, bitch, and complain. I'm may also be opinionated and prone to stereotyping."

With an intro like that, there's no mystery where things would end up on a thread like this.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #1288
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
rotflmao!
I had to look that one up.

Now I just need to figure out if you are laughing with me or at me.....

I just found it ironic that he would criticize the behavior of some, and then sling shit at all.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #1289
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 714
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #1290
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I had to look that one up.

Now I just need to figure out if you are laughing with me or at me.....

I just found it ironic that he would criticize the behavior of some, and then sling shit at all.
With you, brother!
I appreciate a bit of sarcasm now and again.