Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #1381
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Eh? Old tech for new prices??? Am I missing something here?

So, I still don't understand buying a new bike that is built with old tech. I think it's a personality flaw or something. If I want old tech I generally buy an old bike....I like old tech if it is cheap enough, because then you don't feel like an idiot if it breaks and you have to throw money at it (my current project). I'd be a bit pissed if I spent a ton of money on something new only to have to spend more money on it constantly.

Edit: I meant to say it's a personality flaw of mine, lol.

speedmonkey7 screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 10:05 AM Reason: mistake
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #1382
Bazzle21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Talking New bike

Well perhaps i'm old (49) and senial. I have just put down a deposit on 2012 Retro. Will it have issues, probaly. Will it brake down occasionaly. possibly. Will i be able to carryout adjustments on the side of the road without lugging a computer or fault code downloader. Yes.. I'm happy with the decision I made after getting rid of my 2005 1500 cc Suzuki and chair. Did it brake down yeah, was i able to get it going yes. So am i looking forward to my Ural experience yes. by the way I drive a Landrover defender with no electronics. Friends blow past in their new 4wds i chug along and love it. I beleive all things mechanical will let you down sometimes, but who cares. It part of the joys of life. Sitting on the side of the road wont kill you. Unless your hit by a truck. I intend to enjoy the experience and smell the wombats,kangaroos and bullshit.
Bazzle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #1383
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
So, I still don't understand buying a new bike that is built with old tech.

You don't need to... If it isn't obvious you never will understand.

--
iPad + Tapatalk HD

Speed limits: a challenge, not a restriction - Ural

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #1384
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
There are Urals at every price point. Old ones for a few grand and new ones for $15,000. I think the quality goes up with the price so if you don't want to sink a ton of money in a new one, go used.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #1385
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
There are Urals at every price point. Old ones for a few grand and new ones for $15,000. I think the quality goes up with the price so if you don't want to sink a ton of money in a new one, go used.
X2 that is my plan, just watching and waiting for a deal.

Not going to buy a new one and have to spend time and money sorting it out, when I can buy used for less and have it already sorted. (mostly)
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #1386
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
So, I still don't understand buying a new bike that is built with old tech. I think it's a personality flaw or something. If I want old tech I generally buy an old bike....I like old tech if it is cheap enough, because then you don't feel like an idiot if it breaks and you have to throw money at it (my current project). I'd be a bit pissed if I spent a ton of money on something new only to have to spend more money on it constantly.
Having had many old bikes, and a new Ural,
The Ural has been far less hassle, hasn't required me to "throw money at it", and I've never heard of a old bike that came with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

When I have managed to break or wear something out off roading, parts are easy and inexpensive to get from any dealer, no need to track down something that has been "NLA" for 20 or 30 years or pay insane prices when available. The money I have put into my Ural wouldn't pay for a service on a late model BMW or Ducati at a dealer.

If I had the choice, I would also rather buy a new Jeep CJ2 than the current Jeep Wrangler. I'll take "old tech" every time.

I still don't understand buying an iphone on 2 wheels, to each is own I guess.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #1387
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
The sand in vaginas is strong in this thread....
good thing the ural has 2WD!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1388
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,743

Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #1389
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzle21 View Post
Well perhaps i'm old (49) and senial. I have just put down a deposit on 2012 Retro. Will it have issues, probaly. Will it brake down occasionaly. possibly. Will i be able to carryout adjustments on the side of the road without lugging a computer or fault code downloader. Yes.. I'm happy with the decision I made after getting rid of my 2005 1500 cc Suzuki and chair. Did it brake down yeah, was i able to get it going yes. So am i looking forward to my Ural experience yes. by the way I drive a Landrover defender with no electronics. Friends blow past in their new 4wds i chug along and love it. I beleive all things mechanical will let you down sometimes, but who cares. It part of the joys of life. Sitting on the side of the road wont kill you. Unless your hit by a truck. I intend to enjoy the experience and smell the wombats,kangaroos and bullshit.
I get the wanting old tech...I ride a semi-old tech bike myself, and and all the traction-control-fuel injection-rolling computer stuff worries me on the new bikes, especially for back country riding solo where no tow truck is ever going to get to. I like that I can strip my bike down to near nothing and rebuild it with about a dozen tools. I also paid $500 for mine, I laugh when it breaks. I just don't get spending the $12,000 for a bunch of known headaches. If I'd done that I don't think I'd laugh so much, even if it is covered under warranty. It's up to whoever buys the bike, what they want...I'm just trying to understand it. By the way, I am totally with you on the Defender....dream car for me. And yes...I'd probably buy a new (old) one...ahh crap........
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1390
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzle21 View Post
Well perhaps i'm old (49) and senial. I have just put down a deposit on 2012 Retro..
Good choice. I should be more "crazy" than you, not only I have 2 Ural (2011&2012) but that's my mileage dome last Thursday, usually I go in 3 days to Moscow but this time just 2 days:

941km - 584miles September 6th:

Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #1391
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Not so sure this is the case anymore - I've been looking at these things for the last several years. When I first started looking at them, you could pick them up for a few thousand. Now when I see '99 to early 2000 era bikes for sale, people are trying to sell them at close to or over new prices (some are even for sale on this board). If I could do new, I'd probably do it even knowing what I know about these bikes. But the one thing I am not doing is paying $6K-$8K for a 10 year old Ural and that seems to be the price range I am increasingly seeing them at This is primarily the main reason why I'm probably taking Ural off of my list - they've gotten too expensive for new and it seems like most owners who are selling their old ones are way over valuing the bikes. If anyone's interested, I'll sell you my 2004 Corolla with 150,000 miles on it for $15K. It's well sorted out, broken in, and has been dealer maintained. I'll even include a few farkles for good measure
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1392
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
I picked up my 97 tourist for $2500 in June. It needed a battery and some cleaning.
Deals are out there.

I hear ya though. My neighbor is trying to sell his 12 year old Mazda protege with 175000 miles on it and some rust for $4000.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #1393
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
bunch of known headaches.
Thats the crux of it right there.

They are the the "known headaches" that may happen. The worst case scenarios of a vocal few may be more likely to happen with a Ural than a Honda, but are far from a universal.

For me, I wanted a new rig with a warranty as I intended it to be my only vehicle (and still is 5 years later), I had no desire to build one, rebuild an old rig, and more "refined" options are out of my price range.
Based on my experiences with other bikes, the chance of needing to repair something on my own dime once the warranty was up is a far better solution than the time and expense many contemporary bikes will require for service and maintenance. The same can be said for many vintage bikes, and there is no guarantee that anything will be problem free, its all a crapshoot.
While a new Ural may be less expensive to purchase, maintain and repair in many instances, it is also far from the cheapest possible solution, thats a given, but in reality how often are bikes chosen solely for economic reasons?

When you consider how enthusiastic Harley, BMW, Moto-Guzzi, and KTM owners can be when they are all typically more expensive, and problematic than UJM's, it becomes obvious that "why" is hard to put a finger on if it isn't already in your gut.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #1394
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Problems with Urals come in "batch's" someone at the factory will not torque something or put it in backwards (like on my bike, circlip holding gudgeon pin in backwards) $2 part, $1200 labour/towing etc. or valve trains, or at least that is a pattern I have noticed. I would love to buy another one tomorrow if i could just service it and ride it.
Mabye I pi$$ed of the Ural fairy or just had plain bad luck, don't know or care anymore. the promise of SKF bearings was a load of crap tho, at the engine rebuild all bearings were good old Russian ones. Kinda makes you wonder about everything else?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #1395
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Oh yeah, I didn't say it was a gas issue, just that it is usually something simple.

Having not read that thread I am unaware of the specifics, but I'll go check it out now. Got a link?
FWIW:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820224

Also, love your avatar.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote