User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #1396
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Cobby,
You're willing to put the responsibility on everyone BUT the manufacturer. Blame the owners, blame the dealers, blame the sub contractors, it's everyone’s fault except the company that builds and sells the machine! Next you'll be saying it's the Jews and the CIA.

If you really believe that 95% of Ural problems are dealer or owner induced then you're a deluded wishful thinking nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
In my opinion most of the other problems he has had are the cause of bad dealer setup or owner induced as are 95% of the problems most people have with their Ural. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #1397
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Cobby,
You're willing to put the responsibility on everyone BUT the manufacturer. Blame the owners, blame the dealers, blame the sub contractors, it's everyone’s fault except the company that builds and sells the machine! Next you'll be saying it's the Jews and the CIA.

If you really believe that 95% of Ural problems are dealer or owner induced then you're a deluded wishful thinking nut!
I'm with Mr. Cobb on this one as I'm a firm believer in the fact that "you make your own luck" both good and bad.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #1398
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
So, I still don't understand buying a new bike that is built with old tech. I think it's a personality flaw or something. If I want old tech I generally buy an old bike....I like old tech if it is cheap enough, because then you don't feel like an idiot if it breaks and you have to throw money at it (my current project). I'd be a bit pissed if I spent a ton of money on something new only to have to spend more money on it constantly.
The technology isn't that old. They just had an engine redesign 10 years ago to help meet American/European emission specs for the near future. New Urals have overhead valves, Ducati auto-advancing electronic ignition, Japanese Keihin constant velocity (CV) carbs, electronic starters, reverse gearboxes with German Herzog gears, 12 volt Japanese Denso alternators, Koni (or some other big name brand) rear shocks/swingarms, an Italian Brembo front disc brake, Italian Paioli front forks (some telescopic models), powder coated frames, bolt-on J-pipe headers, catalytic converters, paper air filters, paper oil filters, extended maintenance intervals, etc. It's at least late 1990's tech...

gspell68 screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 12:32 PM
gspell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #1399
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
The technology isn't that old. They just had an engine redesign 10 years ago to help meet American/European emission specs for the near future. New Urals have overhead valves, Ducati auto-advancing electronic ignition, Japanese Keihin constant velocity (CV) carbs, electronic starters, reverse gearboxes with German Herzog gears, 12 volt Japanese Denso alternators, Koni (or some other big name brand) rear shocks/swingarms, an Italian Brembo front disc brake, Italian Paioli front forks (some telescopic models), powder coated frames, bolt-on J-pipe headers, catalytic converters, paper air filters, paper oil filters, extended maintenance intervals, etc. It's at least late 1990's tech...
Don't let the updates fool you, it is still very much an old school machine in many ways for better and worse. Refusing to recognize that fact is a sure way to be disappointed as this thread proves.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #1400
Wallybob
History Geek

Oddometer: 215
Sorry to butt in again. I was on the first page. I love both of my Urals. 2006 Troyka that needs moderate attention, and the new 2012 M-70 Solo. The difference between the two is night and day about quality control. Both are easy to work on. When I have had problems, even I can eventually figure it out and fix it. For me that is a biggie. I can fix it. Non-mechanically inclined or smart me. Old school tech is bloody simple. I liked the first one so much I bought the second. I knew what I was getting into. Didn't stop me.

To repeat what I said here before.

If you know what issues are likely with a Ural, either buy one or don't. Simple.

Back to the Rugby scrum that has become this thread.

2006 Ural Troyka "Akula"
2012 Ural M-70 Solo "Novoi Zavotcha"
Wallybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #1401
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
07 Ural Retro

It has broke and I have fixed it, I turn the right grip and tamper with it so I don't feel the need to blame the machine. I am a very happy Ural owner and use this same user name on the Ural sites. We all know if it has tires it will give grief at some time.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #1402
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I say this in a sympathetic manor. When parts are forgotten or installed backward or welds are lousy from the factory,we have a tendency to be incredulous but it should just reminds us, that many Russians have an alcohol problem, a major problem in Russia. Considering the history of Russia, it isn't all that hard to comprehend.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #1403
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,388
Wow, you should teach history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
I say this in a sympathetic manor. When parts are forgotten or installed backward or welds are lousy from the factory,we have a tendency to be incredulous but it should just reminds us, that many Russians have an alcohol problem, a major problem in Russia. Considering the history of Russia, it isn't all that hard to comprehend.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #1404
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Cobby,

Howdy bokad,

I stand by everything I have said in this and any other thread in which I have talked about the Ural. I even stood behind YOU when you had the problem with the fucked up swing-arm that SHOULD NEVER have been installed on the rig at the factory.

You call me a shill, that's fair I call you well off guy who buys stuff he doesn't understand takes it place he not preprepared to ride in and then bitches at the machine. If you think I am shill for Ural, I sure wish you could be in on some of the conversations I have had with Ilya over the years when "I" am pissing and moaning about the why the same problems keep resurfacing.

I'll freely admit to being a Ural addict but I am far from being a glassy eyed true believer who fails to recognize and BITCH about what I perceive as bad manufacturing processes and just plain lack of proper quality control.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #1405
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Well lucky you don't have a Russian doctor eh?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #1406
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie View Post
Well lucky you don't have a Russian doctor eh?
Actually, my wife had a Russian surgeon do a great job on her crushed elbow 2 years ago. Tripped on a degraded speed bump. Anyway, he said he was the best around. So far, it looks that way. The Russians I have known, were rough and crazy guys!
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #1407
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,282
Our 2010 Gear Up has done 10,000 trouble free miles so far this year. (If you don't count the one broken spoke.)

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #1408
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 460
Even a Russian can do it!!!

Quote:
Easy enough for a Russian to fix!!!!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #1409
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,463
I got no interest in Urals so never clicked on this thread until today when I noticed how big it's got. This is a pretty freakin impressive thread. 1400 replies in a little over three months. That's gotta be some kinda HACKS record!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #1410
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Ah OK I've got it now. Urals don't have the problems they do because of the manufacturing process or poor materials/parts - it's because of dealer mistakes, owner mistakes, or drunk employees putting something together backwards after a lunch time swig of vodka at the factory - got it!

Like I said, I'm glad to hear that people with newer ones are having fewer problems. I would hope that after 60 or so odd years of making the same product, they would finally get it right to where it didn't blow up on the way home Only took Harley what? 100? (psst, it's called **sarcasm** people)
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote