User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
tominboise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Bonding plastic with epoxy and fiberglass mesh question

I have a broken hinge pin fitting on my Silverado center console. I'd like to repair it and save the $$ for a replacement lid. I thought to use JBweld plastic epoxy for the repair, and then reinforce the joint by applying a patch of fiberglass mesh loaded with epoxy over the top. Has anyone done such a repair? Will the epoxy fill the mesh or does it need to be thinned? If so, what with?

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,480
There will be a triangular recycle symbol on the part with a number in it and plastic abbreviation telling the type of plastic. Once that is known the correct glue can be recommended.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
i've never tryed it but, i don't think that JB weld would "wetout" std fiberglass cloth very well. as ragtop suggested...find out what youre dealing with first
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I have repaired ABS and other plastics with epoxy many times with superb success. The key is to get the parts to be bonded really clean. denatured alcohol works well. the 2nd KEY is to rough up where the epoxy will be. 80 grit sandpaper works really well. easier to use than polyester cloth or mat is fiberglass dry wall tape. JB Weld works great , but so does regular epoxies. I would use 5 minute epoxy or JB Quick in your application.
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,444
I have used multiple strips of fiberglass drywall tape and 2 part epoxy to repair plastic moto parts with great success! As in the next crash it broke somewhere else.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
tominboise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
I have used multiple strips of fiberglass drywall tape and 2 part epoxy to repair plastic moto parts with great success! As in the next crash it broke somewhere else.
This is what I will likely do. I have the JB weld 5 minute plastic epoxy and will get some fiberglass drywall tape.

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
The JB weld will squeegee into many woven fabrics. It won't necessarily wet it out like a resin though. You might need something more than 5 minutes to get the fabric saturated and then lined up. JB will start kicking over sooner than 5 minutes and might not be very workable.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Ramata
Wind

Oddometer: 75
Quick Steel for plastics is a great 2 part epoxy, I've used on many ABS (and pvc) plastics and they hold well to this day.
Ramata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
If...

your console is made of ABS like many or most plastic bits on motorcycles are, I'd use some ABS cement instead of the JB Weld. It's wetter, will fill the mesh better and it bonds to the part better.

Available anywhere plumbing supplies are sold.

I used to own an SR500, big street thumper that shook like a paint shaker, had chronic issues with the retaining tabs breaking off of the tail piece and side covers, only stuff that ever worked was ABS cement. Tried various epoxies, mesh, glues, etc.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
I've used ABS glue and fiberglass cloth with success on the ABS inner bags on my Buell. A bit "fume-y" for a day or so but works well.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,796
I've done ABS repairs using a hot air welder, Superglue, fiberglass mat, woven and dry wall tape.
with the FGlass I've used JB weld, 5 and 90min epoxy, resin and ABS glue. There's also something that can be done with superglue and like cornstarch to make a kind of filler paste.

The one I turn to to make quick solid repairs cheaply with stuff I have on hand
Fiberglass that's handy and 5 min epoxy. mostly as it's on hand, It's decently easy to work. The epoxy wets out decently but kicks quick enough for vertical work.

I just got a 3'x3' section of cloth from the autoparts store and use my supply of epoxy I have around. I cut the cloth to size
rough of the repair, lay down a base layer of glue, lay down the mat, pour some more epoxy over the mat.
Let it cure, surface stuff up if needed then I'm done.

This doesn't work on HDPE or other Thermoplastic polyolefins (like dirtbike and ATV fender and other real flexible plastics that are molded in color, which means they have the same color all through the part. These often feel a little slick to the touch.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Mr. Whipple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
i've never tryed it but, i don't think that JB weld would "wetout" std fiberglass cloth very well. as ragtop suggested...find out what youre dealing with first

JB weld "wets out" or sturates fiberglass very well. Shouldn't be an issue there. I have used it in conjunction with fiberglass cloth to repair cracks in the plastic tanks on the radiator of a car with great success.
Mr. Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote