Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Hardware02 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Tell Me About Tonneau Covers

I'm looking for a rolling style secure tonneau cover for my truck.

I won't post links but the makes/models I've found so far are:

Roll-N-Lock M Series;
Retrax Retrax Pro; and
RollBak G2.

I'm leaning towards the Retrax Pro. Does anyone here have that one (or any of the ones I've listed) and would they recommend them or not? What are their strengths & weaknesses; ease of installation, level of security and weather sealing?

Are you running something I haven't mentioned that you'd recommend?

Also, I'm considering a grille guard - I had a Westin on my last truck (Tacoma) and ended up having to grind the powder coat off and coat it in bedliner. Does anyone recommend any other grille guards? Have any pics?

Any advice is welcome...thanks in advance.

Hardware02 screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 01:56 AM
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Hardware02 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bump.

No one has any of these?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Had a LeBra brand, soft cover, on my truck for years. It was very east to install rolled up very easily. It did dry out and tear after a out 5 years of always being outside, year round. Security with a soft cover is nil, because a knife will cut through it easily. However, it did hide everything in the bed. Cost for one like that is under 200. Do NOT get one with SNAPS, they are a pain in the a** to use and the fabric around them tears easily. IMO they look like crap as well.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
I'm looking for a rolling style secure tonneau cover for my truck.

I won't post links but the makes/models I've found so far are:

Roll-N-Lock M Series;
Retrax Retrax Pro; and
RollBak G2.

I'm leaning towards the Retrax Pro. Does anyone here have that one (or any of the ones I've listed) and would they recommend them or not? What are their strengths & weaknesses; ease of installation, level of security and weather sealing?

Are you running something I haven't mentioned that you'd recommend?

Also, I'm considering a grille guard - I had a Westin on my last truck (Tacoma) and ended up having to grind the powder coat off and coat it in bedliner. Does anyone recommend any other grille guards? Have any pics?

Any advice is welcome...thanks in advance.

What kind of truck? What do you use the truck for?Does youre tailgate lock? Do you need all of the bed on ocassion? I've sold and installed about all of them and then some.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,799
A coworker had a Roll-N-Lock on his Dodge Ram. He liked it but couldn't see giving up the space in my short bed for the cannister. I ended up with an ARE fiberglass cover. Not as slick as the roll ups but I could use all 6.5 ft of my shortbed pickup.

My hesitation with the roll ups of the time was the rubber cover used to seal the topside slats. I didn't think it would last long in the GA sun. Probably wrong in that assumption but something to think about.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I had a hard folding tonneau cover on my truck, and absolutely hated it. I have a cap on the truck now, since I live in SoCal and have a regular cab and need the locking storage space, but that sucks too. I miss wide open bed, honestly. The cover would freeze up solid, so I couldn't open it, and snow would pack into the joints when I did finally get it to open, and would stress the hell out of the joints. The thing also leaked like a sieve. Thank God I bought that one used for $300 instead of brand new for $900+! What a pain in the ass!
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
I had a hard folding tonneau cover on my truck, and absolutely hated it. I have a cap on the truck now, since I live in SoCal and have a regular cab and need the locking storage space, but that sucks too. I miss wide open bed, honestly. The cover would freeze up solid, so I couldn't open it, and snow would pack into the joints when I did finally get it to open, and would stress the hell out of the joints. The thing also leaked like a sieve. Thank God I bought that one used for $300 instead of brand new for $900+! What a pain in the ass!
Do you remember what brand of folding tonneau you had? I am thinking of getting a BakFlip G2 for my 8' box. I never considered possible panel joint problems due to winter conditions.

Do tonneau covers really save on gas due to better airflow over the box?

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,877
Take a look at the new Bak Roll X:
http://bakindustries.com/p-8241-roll...-overview.html
Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Hardware02 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
What kind of truck? What do you use the truck for?Does youre tailgate lock? Do you need all of the bed on ocassion? I've sold and installed about all of them and then some.
Thanks for replying.

2012 Ram 2500 with a 6'4" bed.

Personal use. Most of the time I want the bed secured but periodically I'll want to be able to open it up to haul my ATV or motorcycles. I'll also want to be able to partially open the cover to carry things like lawn mowers or snowblowers.

Yes, the tailgate locks.

Yes, as already mentioned, on occasion I'll want the use of the whole open bed.

Any advice is welcome.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Hardware02 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm also looking at the Diamondback HD...different approach but looks interesting.

Anyone have one?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,782
I have an Extang Solid Fold tonneau on my Tundra. I got it last fall and had it on through the winter months. I now have the bed open because I need it that way, but during the winter I did not and it was great to not be dealing with a bed full of snow and ice. I didn't have any trouble keeping it clear for the most part, just used a push broom to get rid of new snow accumulations. It is super easy to install and remove, takes a couple of minutes tops. And it didn't leak much. I'm real happy with it.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
ReTrax

I have the Retrax Pro and like it alot. It is rigid, so it is easy to brush the snow off of (I got a long handled brush/scrapper, because my truck is a 3/4 ton). The thing I like best though is that it is shiny! When you spend a lot of time cleaning up your truck you want your bed cover to look as good as the body and paint. The retrax has that awesome finished look to it. I park in the lot at work amoungst all the dirty leather covers that puddle with water when it rains and they are always dirty with dust. The hard covers, folding and roll types don't have the shine, so they look dingy and dirty. I get tons of compliments on my clean shiny cover.
The other plus is 4 bolts and you pop it right out if you want the extra room for your bikes. It takes two to lift out though (my 13 year old son and I get it done without issue). I can get the bike in with the cover in, but rather have the extra room and the hard front of the truck bed to bash the wheel into. I always thought about building some kind of false front to protected the roll up box if my wife ever had to come rescue me (she'd probably not be able to get it out = bad back).
The cover locks in any position, which I've found hand when carrying stuff you completely get under the cover, like a pile of bicycles. If you jam them in tight enough and lock the cover and tailgate, no one can steel them out.
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
Hardware02 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPowered View Post
I have the Retrax Pro and like it alot. It is rigid, so it is easy to brush the snow off of (I got a long handled brush/scrapper, because my truck is a 3/4 ton). The thing I like best though is that it is shiny! When you spend a lot of time cleaning up your truck you want your bed cover to look as good as the body and paint. The retrax has that awesome finished look to it. I park in the lot at work amoungst all the dirty leather covers that puddle with water when it rains and they are always dirty with dust. The hard covers, folding and roll types don't have the shine, so they look dingy and dirty. I get tons of compliments on my clean shiny cover.
The other plus is 4 bolts and you pop it right out if you want the extra room for your bikes. It takes two to lift out though (my 13 year old son and I get it done without issue). I can get the bike in with the cover in, but rather have the extra room and the hard front of the truck bed to bash the wheel into. I always thought about building some kind of false front to protected the roll up box if my wife ever had to come rescue me (she'd probably not be able to get it out = bad back).
The cover locks in any position, which I've found hand when carrying stuff you completely get under the cover, like a pile of bicycles. If you jam them in tight enough and lock the cover and tailgate, no one can steel them out.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

What's the approximate dimensions of the box that holds the retracted cover? With a 6'4" bed, I'm assuming that if I needed to haul either of our bikes, the rear wheel would end up out on the open tailgate. Same with the ATV...
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Hardware02 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Called a local shop and they're recommending the Undercover Flex.

You lose no bedspace underneath. It's easily removable and it's as secure as any hard cover (no exposed locks).
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I have an Extang Solid Fold tonneau on my Tundra. I got it last fall and had it on through the winter months. I now have the bed open because I need it that way, but during the winter I did not and it was great to not be dealing with a bed full of snow and ice. I didn't have any trouble keeping it clear for the most part, just used a push broom to get rid of new snow accumulations. It is super easy to install and remove, takes a couple of minutes tops. And it didn't leak much. I'm real happy with it.

This is what I have as well. Very versatile. Easy to use, reasonably secure.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: