Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Poway OP
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 486
GS1100 Batt light on with: A) New Batt, B) New Altenator

Hello ADV,
After spending more hours than I care to disclose, replaced my altenator ( pure joy). But, I still have a batt discharge light.New Batt and a rebuilt altenator from EuroMotoelectrics did not help my batt discharge light. In fact it's worse now than when I started. It's a bright red vs a dim red batt light .

Any advice on how to figure out a batt discharge light? Currently have a new batt w/ a fresh charge and a new rebuilt altenator.

Thank you.

Poway screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 04:49 PM
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,720
Is the alternator charging when the engine runs? I doubt it. If so what is the voltage?

The D+ (blue) is initially excited by the Switched positive (green black) coming thru the charging light.

If there is a short to ground on the blue wire the lamp will glow brilliantly and the alternator will not initially excite.

GS Addict screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 11:27 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Poway OP
SHED (Shit Head)

thank you

On start up, everything is normal, new altenator is putting out 13.80 volts measured accross the pos/ neg batt terminals, it seems to be charging. But, then the charging system starts acting wacko. It still appears to be good volts something around 13.80 volts. Then the panel will starts looking great, with a bright green nuetral, and no batt discharge light. After reving the engine, batt discharge illuminates, green nuetral light dims, tach starts acting spastic 0-2500 rpm (with out eng rpm fluctuations). After waiting a few minutes same will reoccur. I'll use your advise to trouble shoot a potential short. Charging system appears to be putting out good volts.

Thank you

Poway screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 02:01 PM
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Poway OP
SHED (Shit Head)

Correction Voltage is bad

Just rehooked up the multimeter, bad voltage,12.33 volts.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poway View Post
On start up, everything is normal, new altenator is putting out 13.80 volts measured accross the pos/ neg batt terminals, it seems to be charging. But, then the charging system starts acting wacko. It still appears to be good volts something around 13.80 volts. Then the panel will starts looking great, with a bright green nuetral, and no batt discharge light. After reving the engine, batt discharge illuminates, green nuetral light dims, tach starts acting spastic 0-2500 rpm (with out eng rpm fluctuations). After waiting a few minutes same will reoccur. I'll use your advise to trouble shoot a potential short. Charging system appears to be putting out good volts.

Thank you
There may be a supply problem on the green black if the tach is erratic. Monitor the voltage on fuse 1 when this is happening.

If you PM me with your tel # I can call you and walk you thru some testing tomorrow. Include time when you are available.

GS Addict screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 12:11 AM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,553
The crimped multi earths in the instrument loom could have corroded - water gets in and sits eating away at the unprotected crimped together ends.
Slice the outer instrument sleeve about halfway along between the instruments and top yolk. You may find a green sludge where the earths once were.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Poway OP
SHED (Shit Head)

Success!! Thank you Step Toe and GS Addict!!

Put the multimeter accross the number one fuse. Had a .25-.3 current draw, and it looked a little off. Replaced the number one fuse and problems disappeared. It appears the filament on the fuse was making partial contact and the vibration made it on and off. So it checks good now, for the first time, currently the bike is disassembled. Putting it togther now. Will ride it today for the full check.
Thank you both for your wisdom!!

Road check is good. Everything is back to normal!!

Poway screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 04:48 PM