Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Anybody tried Liquid Wrench Chain Lube? It's readily available in lots of non-motorcycle shops, meaning you can save money and find it when on the road.
Yes. It's shit. Oily gunk that flung all over everything and wouldn't come out. It even had a strong odor of oil. I used it once and threw the rest in the trash. Will never use again.

Thanks for the heads up about the DuPont. The can I have is the new stuff, but the bottle I have still says Dry Lubricant.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
checked my can

new formula :( Will go out looking to see if any original left.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
stretch160
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
No, it's more like "if you want the same formulation, you should purchase chain saver moving forward, because it costs $3 more per can."
That's probably why they changed the formula on the good stuff. Trying to force more motorcyclists to pay extra. I've been using the blue can for the last 85,000 miles and I will sorely miss it. I tried the "chain saver" and it is not the same, more like a conventional chain lube. It stays on longer but collects alot more dirt. It was the self cleaning properties of the old stuff that made it realy great. The few cans I've seen for sale of the old stuff are selling for like $18+ a can. Y'all remember when this stuff was only $3 a can?
I have enough of the old stuff saved up to make it through this year, after that I don't know. I'm so ticked off with dupont I definately won't be buying the chain saver stuff.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,072
There is Finishline dry teflon lube (bike shops)

Blaster TDL (I haven't seen this stuff, but it comes from the makers of PB blaster)

Remington makes a dry teflon lube (gun shops)

The blaster product is probably the most inexpensive.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Found one can of the good, old stuff at a small ACE Hardware over the weekend, so there are a few floating around. Keep looking!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
I lucked out & came to the party late, so I have no idea what the old formula was like, and am satisfied with the new.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
For some reason I can't find any Dupont products in Canada although I hear Lowes carries it. Walmart does not. Unfortunately there are only Lowes in Ontario. Been having great results with Maxima Chain Wax.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 10,034
Does anybody actually, like, follow the manufacturer's recommendation, and use ... gear oil?
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Does anybody actually, like, follow the manufacturer's recommendation, and use ... gear oil?
The manufacturer's of o-ring chains seem to all recommend "chain lube." A lot of riders prefer a lube that dries to a waxy finish that doesn't fling off, doesn't collect dirt, and is longer lasting. The DuPont Multi-Use Dry Wax stuff was all of those things, and as a bonus was cheap and available at major hardware stores. Plus, many of us got extremely long life out of our chains. My current chain is over 26,000 miles using the stuff and it seems good for more.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
Not since 1967 . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just now put on some of the DuPont chain lube in the drip bottle that they recommend as a replacement for the old formula multi-use. My first impression is not favorable. The chain lube is very runny compared to the old multi-use. After lubing the chain I would estimate more than half just fell right off onto the newspapers I had spread underneath, and that was not the case with the old stuff. I'm assuming it will set up overnight and create a dry wax surface, but time will tell.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
That's probably why they changed the formula on the good stuff. Trying to force more motorcyclists to pay extra. I've been using the blue can for the last 85,000 miles and I will sorely miss it. I tried the "chain saver" and it is not the same, more like a conventional chain lube. It stays on longer but collects alot more dirt. It was the self cleaning properties of the old stuff that made it realy great. The few cans I've seen for sale of the old stuff are selling for like $18+ a can. Y'all remember when this stuff was only $3 a can?
I have enough of the old stuff saved up to make it through this year, after that I don't know. I'm so ticked off with dupont I definately won't be buying the chain saver stuff.
It's a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,983
I like the old formula, haven't used anything else for the last 5 years. I have 1 open can and 1 new can of the old stuff, and a can of the new yellow chain-specific that I haven't tried yet.

After reading the webbikeworld report on the new Multi-Use formula, I went to Lowe's to stock up. Unfortunately, they're out of the old and selling the new formula (doesn't say "dry, wax lubricant") in spray, but they still had the old formula in the squeeze bottles, so I bought 4. So I have 2 cans and 6 squeeze bottles of the old formula, plus the Chain Saver that I haven't tried yet.

I am stocked for another 2-3 years. After that, I guess I'll look for Liquid Performance Chain Lube
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei
Anybody tried Liquid Wrench Chain Lube? It's readily available in lots of non-motorcycle shops, meaning you can save money and find it when on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Yes. It's shit. Oily gunk that flung all over everything and wouldn't come out. It even had a strong odor of oil. I used it once and threw the rest in the trash. Will never use again.

Thanks for the heads up about the DuPont. The can I have is the new stuff, but the bottle I have still says Dry Lubricant.

Jamie
I've used the Liquid-Wrench stuff and really like it. It helps to have the chain off the bike (for those with master links) and you need to let it dry for about an hour (in my experience). Once dry, it's tack free and lasts 2-4 weeks of commuter duty (22 miles daily) provided you do not ride thru rain.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Once again it is interesting how we can get opposite opinions on some product in the same thread (Liquid Wrench Chain Lube). I may just have to check it out for myself.