Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #31
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,710
That's what makes the world go 'round, eh?

No offense to Jaime but he may not have let it dry, and that's the key. If you can't remove the chain, be prepared for the lube to drip off the chain at some place (like the c/s sprocket). I usually put a wad of paper towel or an old sock (or two) under the sprocket to catch the excess. Spin the chain, via the rear wheel, for a few minutes to help the lube disperse. Then, let it sit until dry (~ 60 min.).

If you can remove the chain, I hang it so I can spray both sides with a drip pan underneath. Again, allow time to dry. HTH.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #32
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Bronco638--thanks for the additional info. on the Liquid Wrench Chain Lube. By any chance have you also tried the old DuPont Multi-Use for comparison purposes? The old-formula Multi-Use was just about perfect as far as I'm concerned, so I'm looking for what's close to it.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #33
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
No offense to Jaime but he may not have let it dry, and that's the key.
No offense taken. It's clear that we used the lube in two different manners.

I bought a can at an auto parts store on a long trip where I used up the Dupont lube I'd carried from home. They had the Liquid Wrench so I bought some.

Now, normally, my method with the Dupont is to put it on at the end of the day or at a gas stop and then I wait ten or fifteen minutes for the lube to dry before riding off. I did the same thing with the Liquid Wrench. I sprayed it on, then killed ten minutes or so before riding off.

I first noticed that on spraying, it had a very oily odor, and didn't spray very cleanly. That is, when trying to spray it on the chain, it seemed to spray every other direction too.

After letting it "dry" for ten minutes or so I rode off. When I got to my next stop, I noticed that I had oily residue all over the back of my bike and on my luggage.

If it works for you or anyone else, that's great, but my experience was pretty awful, and I won't use the stuff again.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #34
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Don't know if it would make a difference with the Liquid Wrench stuff, but I always try to lube my chain in the evening and let it dry over night or longer--whatever I'm using on it.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #35
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei
Bronco638--thanks for the additional info, on the Liquid Wrench Chain Lube. By any chance have you also tried the old DuPont Multi-Use for comparison purposes? The old-formula Multi-Use was just about perfect as far as I'm concerned, so I'm looking for what's close to it.
I have never used the old formula DuPont Multi-Use (and I'm kind of sorry I didn't, based on the comments here). I had a can of Suzuki chain lube (the one that sprays black and stinks - molybdenum?) that I used up first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
No offense taken. It's clear that we used the lube in two different manners.

I bought a can at an auto parts store on a long trip where I used up the Dupont lube I'd carried from home. They had the Liquid Wrench so I bought some.

Now, normally, my method with the Dupont is to put it on at the end of the day or at a gas stop and then I wait ten or fifteen minutes for the lube to dry before riding off. I did the same thing with the Liquid Wrench. I sprayed it on, then killed ten minutes or so before riding off.

I first noticed that on spraying, it had a very oily odor, and didn't spray very cleanly. That is, when trying to spray it on the chain, it seemed to spray every other direction too.

After letting it "dry" for ten minutes or so I rode off. When I got to my next stop, I noticed that I had oily residue all over the back of my bike and on my luggage.

If it works for you or anyone else, that's great, but my experience was pretty awful, and I won't use the stuff again.

Jamie
I can't say that I blame you. If that had happened to me, I probably would have reacted in the same manner.

My can came with a small red "straw" (like WD40). I use that when I apply the lube and I hold the tip of the 'straw' close enough to the chain so that the spray stays within the chain side plates (1"-2" distance). On application, the lube is liquid enough to 'creep' over the side plates themselves, especially if I continuously spin the chain for a few minutes. As mentioned previously, I allow the chain to dry for at least an hour. You'll know if you got good coverage because the dried lube still has a slight sheen to it even though it's no longer wet (it might be slightly tacky depending on the length of 'dry time').

I just did the chain (428 o-ring) on my VTR250R over the weekend. The wheels are white so if there is any residual mess, it should be readily apparent.

UPDATE: wheels are still very clean. So, allowing dry time works for me.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 08:19 AM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #36
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,125
The Walmart in Laramie had two cans of the old stuff, so I bought 'em to see what all the fuss is about.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 612
I bet there was something in the old stuff that was either in tight supply, or newly regulated by the EPA. ()

If enough people make a stick about it, then they may bring it back if it was just a cost deal.
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
For some reason I can't find any Dupont products in Canada although I hear Lowes carries it. Walmart does not. Unfortunately there are only Lowes in Ontario. Been having great results with Maxima Chain Wax.
Some time back I went to considerable trouble, of getting an industrial supplier here in western Canada, to source me half a dozen cans of the original formula Dupont product.

I liked it, although I wasn't overly that impressed how often I had to reapply, when touring in favourable / dry conditions. It worked out to be too much trouble / expense, to source it out of the US and the Lowes chain, hadn't arrived in western Canada yet.

However, similar to outsidein's impressions, when I happened to sample a can of Maxima's Chain Wax (black and gold aerosol can), I found it extremely similar and IMO superior to the Dunlop product, as well as longer lasting in touring usage. Here in Canada it's priced far more reasonably, than other mc specific chain lubes as well. Best chain lube I've come across, in forty years of riding !

Sorta like, I no longer lament never having sourced an XT500 to ride, now that I've got a DR650...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #39
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
I bet there was something in the old stuff that was either in tight supply, or newly regulated by the EPA. ()

If enough people make a stick about it, then they may bring it back if it was just a cost deal.
PTFE is the material that is being phased out. PTFE is known by the trade name Teflon and it's been determined to be cancer-causing. The military changed their gun lube, CLP (cleaner-lubricant-protectant) to eliminate PTFE in the early '90s. Dupont paid a small fine and must phase it out. I'd recommend a cycle chain lube and ditch your Teflon cooking pans.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #40
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
PTFE is the material that is being phased out. PTFE is known by the trade name Teflon and it's been determined to be cancer-causing. The military changed their gun lube, CLP (cleaner-lubricant-protectant) to eliminate PTFE in the early '90s. Dupont paid a small fine and must phase it out. I'd recommend a cycle chain lube and ditch your Teflon cooking pans.
This is incorrect. PFOA, a chemical used to make Teflon, is indeed being phased out by 2015: http://www.epa.gov/oppt/pfoa/

PTFE will continue to be made using other chemicals. PTFE and PFOA are not the same thing.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #41
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,750
I too used the "dry wax", but I also saw this at the Home Depot today...

http://www.blastercorporation.com/The_Dry_Lube.html

I think it's the PB Blaster version of the Dupont stuff. Might be worth a try.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Minor update. I used the DuPont Chain Saver liquid in the little bottle last time, and my chain was unusually dirty compared to what I am used to seeing. Today, after 500 miles of commuting on the Chain Saver, I lubed the chain with the old-formula Muti-Use Dry Wax in the spray can (I found one can in a little hardware store). I swear as I sprayed on the lube the wheel turned easier and easier, and when I wiped the chain down it was unusually dirty. It even sounded a bit quieter as I turned the wheel to put on the lube. So far I am not impressed with the Chain Saver, and I think I will stick with the old-formula Multi-Use until I use it up. Then, I don't know what I will use!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #43
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,400
How about moly as a chain lube...tolerates high loads better than Teflon.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Minor update. I used the DuPont Chain Saver liquid in the little bottle last time, and my chain was unusually dirty compared to what I am used to seeing. Today, after 500 miles of commuting on the Chain Saver, I lubed the chain with the old-formula Muti-Use Dry Wax in the spray can (I found one can in a little hardware store). I swear as I sprayed on the lube the wheel turned easier and easier, and when I wiped the chain down it was unusually dirty. It even sounded a bit quieter as I turned the wheel to put on the lube. So far I am not impressed with the Chain Saver, and I think I will stick with the old-formula Multi-Use until I use it up. Then, I don't know what I will use!
Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short....bought the new formula for my new to me DRZ. Let it dry for at least 48 hours and went on a dusty ride. There's a line of dust stuck to my rear sprocket where a bead of the stuff dribbled down that I missed wiping off. Definitely sticky lube, but it hold dirt like crazy. My chain and sprockets are totally caked with dust and dirt that won't rinse off. Also got a bit of slop on the frame after 48 hours of dry time. Not impressed.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #45
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,953
Dupont did make a Red can of Chain Cleaner , I have had one can of the stuff, it was meant to work with the chain lube. Both came from Wally world, I haven't been to that particular one since but I have found the yellow can at other Wal Marts. Sometimes you have to look around quite a bit, might be in automotive, might be around the motorcycle stuff, it varies.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote