Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586

The shipwreck at Hurrah pass. We saw and met mountain bikers everywhere we went. Gotta hand it to those kids, they must be in incredible shape!

Ted gets a quick change of the tube on the tractor and off we go

The shipwreck stuck in the fesh fesh This was tough riding at slow speeds. Trick is keep your speed up, your weight over the back wheel and be smooth on the throttle.

Eric and Frank prepare for 4 hours of surgery at +100f If you've ever had the pleasure of tearing into the carbs on a 950 you can imagine what it was like at +100f in the sand. I couldn't help but think what the hell are we going to do if the bike won't fire up, 35 miles from town in the bottom of the canyon...
I I try to find a sliver of shade from the sun.

Repairs complete, Eric bombs his way out of Jackson's Hole.

Even at 5:00pm, you can still see the heat in the air.

I'm still in awe of Eric's riding skills. He would throw that 950 around like he was on a lightweight
When we got back to the house, he'd have the bike torn apart and worked till midnight to get ready for the next day. I got tired just watching him.

Frank and the boys returning from Jackson's Hole after along day in the heat. The hot tub and pints await
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...

4badboyz screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 08:15 AM
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
With the Roaming Rally happening this weekend we can continue this wonderful ride report on Monday with Day 2.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Umtra

Side note:

While driving around Moab we kept passing signs for the Department Of Energy UMTRA project. Turns out it's a cleanup of the tailings from the mining operations that have been going on there from the 60's until the mid 80's

More info here:
http://www.gjem.energy.gov/moab/general/overview_b.htm
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #19
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday - The White Rim

After such an exciting first day or 5 hours moving and 4.5 hours stopped (baking on high heat) we woke with no real plan for day 2. Finally after some discussion we settled on riding the White Rim. We had purchased some bagels as well as a jar that has peanut butter and jam mixed together that we threw in Rider23’s bag and headed out

We quickly made our way to the visitor’s center, paid our $5 each entry fee and turned our bikes towards the dirt.

The trail started with a spectacular ride along a ridge with a huge drop off. I stopped several times for photos and videos before we made it to the big switch back that descends into the desert below.

From here we stopped often to take pictures and look out at the strange rock formations. The trail was rocky enough that we couldn’t get going at a good speed and some of the guys stopped to increase the pressure in their font tires for fear of flatting out on the rough terrain.

Air Traffic Tower

After stopping several times to take photos I urged everyone to hurry up. We had barely covered 1/3 of the distance and with our average speed it was looking like we wouldn’t be out of the desert before sunset so I took off at the next break and ripped across the desert. It was nice to be out front as the trails had been pretty dusty and I was having difficulty seeing with a thick layer of dust coating my visor and glasses.

Ted on the edge

Check that view!

We did take a few more breaks but fewer and farther between. Luckily the trail smoothed out and we could get some good stretches in 3
rd and even 4th gears.

Blasting through the desert

Zoom

After leap-frogging each other for a while we finally decided to get some bagels only to discover that we had a torn bag of bagel crumbs and a leaky jar of peanut butter and jam soup that had smeared itself across the inside of Ted’s bag. I guess it’s granola bars for lunch again :/

Back on the bikes we finally made it to a nice overlook of the Colorado river, which Ted almost drove into,

Finally we blasted across some open areas with big sandy washouts before starting a rocky climb out of the canyon. This time when we decided to stop and let everyone catch up we seemed to be missing people. Shipwreck was nowhere to be seen. Shit.

Watching the sun set while we wait for news on Sean

Rhino and Rider23 volunteered to turn around and find him and figure out what was wrong. Turns out he took a tumble in some of the loose sand and came to an abrupt and dusty stop.

I’ll let Shipwreck tell the tale but in the end he was stiff but able to ride. He dusted himself off like a champ, hopped back on and made his way out under his own power.

We had one more HUGE sand pit to cross before we finally made it up and out another set of switchbacks. Rhino had some issues but I helped him pick up his bike and we got him through.

Views along the Colorado just before hitting the sand

The shadows were getting really long at this point but we were on the final switchbacks. We elected to slab it back to the condo so we could avoid having to ride after the sun went down.

Finally, tired, weary, and thirsty we stormed the local gas station buying all of their Gatorade (2L for 3$) and wobbled home for some of Frank’s home cooking.

In retrospect everyone has said they would like to do this trail again but take two days and camp out in the desert.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Day 2 - White Rim Trail

Day 2 - White Rim Trail

Ever since the early planning calls, it became clear that we should do the WRT. Strategically, we didn't want to do it the first day, and we didn't want to do it on the last day. Somehow, in these teleconferences, I got the impression that WRT was rated as easy in the jeep and ATV trail book.The only issue for me was concern that my 13l tank would not take me the more than 200km from Moab to the trail and back. Mark and Eric assured me they were carrying extra fuel and would serve as tanker for this ride. So, after some deliberation, Tuesday became White Rim day. We loaded up the GPS with the trail, and headed out in late morning.

Eric was in the lead and instead of following the paved road (313) to the entrance of the park he opted to take us through the dirt road that climbed up the rocks

so, of course we all stopped for a pic...

We rode through the badlands - a preview of the WRT.

By the time we left the visitor center, it was past high noon and the day, again, was turning out to be a scorcher.

Shafer Switchback was our introduction to the WRT.

scenery along the trail is spectacular.

At the 150km mark I put in about 3l of gas from Eric's rotopak, leaving about one liter "just in case".

The riding varied from nice fast trails

to treacherous sand, to big rock infested climbs.

I was handling it all pretty well and was pretty proud of myself. Confirming that pride does in fact go before a fall, after a long straight I was bleeding off speed to make a left hand turn up a small incline - not a hard hill at all, but I was feeling pretty good. I took the corner hot, skidded too far left and found myself perpendicular to the trail, gunned it to try and save it, go off the trail onto a small ledge and tumbled about 4 feet with the bike landing on my ankle (thank you SIDI Adventure boots) and slid a few more feet down the ledge. Again Ted was there to pick me up and pick up the bike. I could tell I had tweeked my back trying to save it from the fall, but other than that, no harm done - well except to my afore mentioned pride.

It was stinking hot and the only shade to be found was provided by the outhouses located at the campsites along the route. They are located about every 30 KM and they became my rest areas.

Just when you think you're done the trail, there is what i think was the toughest hazard on the whole trail, a huge km long bunker filled with deep fine sand that makes a sweeping righ hand turn. I hit the sand in second, gunned it and made it halfway through then tried to cross out of the rut, the front wheele went one way, I went the other. I waited a few minutes but this time, Ted was not there to bail me out, so I picked up the bike, started it, and rode it out to the next outhouse just a few km from the bunker. I took a few shots of the scenery in the late afternoon light.

The rest of the ride out was uneventful until we hit 313 again and the engine started sputtering. I flipped the petcock to reserve and babied the bike back to the first gas station in Moab where I put in over 12l in my 13l tank. We go back to the house a little past 8pm. It was what Ted called very efficient use of daylight as the sun was setting at this point and we didn't have to ride in the dark.

If you're a relative noob to dirt riding, and anyone tells you WRT is easy - feel free to raise the BS flag. It is what I believe is referred to in the vernacular as "doable". WRT is beautiful, great fun to ride, and should be on everyone from out east's bucket list. I'm sure anyone within 1000km has ridden it.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #21
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

half way down the Shafer switchbacks we stop to enjoy the view and snap a few pics.

Frank seems to be in a hurry to get to the bottom. No hesitation here

hard to believe we just came down that canyon wall in the distance

our fearless leader Ted (rider23) proves he has no fear of heights.

Steve (Quantis) livin on the edge.

4badboyz taking it all in.

my personal favorite pic of the ride, six Canucks having the ride of a lifetime

spot the rider ?

here's a couple of frames from Ted's go pro video, cool shots...

Moab 2012

4badboyz screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 04:22 AM
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,386
hewhohesit8s
That sand pit from hell on the white rim gave me hell last Tuesday, I came around the corner in 2nd gear on my 06 KLR and there it was, i thought oh well and gassed it, when i came out the other end the bike was so bogged down and the temp gage was in the red, i could not believe i made a pretty good pass thru, hell i bet that pit is 300 feet long plus some.

I did mention that sand pit to a park ranger when i was asking about other roads, he said it was a result of some flooding last year and as far as he knew it was not there in years past.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 795
I have to say that the White Rim was the best ride that I have ever taken on two wheels. I knew from the moment we came around the corner and seen the switch backs to the canyon floor that this was a ride to remember. The views where amazing and not a Camera or GoPro where going to do it justice.

I never took many still shots so I’ll have to bore you with unedited video and the only reason I never edited is because I couldn’t find anything to cut 

This section was a nice flat run but my battery died just when I was getting going. I ended up with a two wheel lockup to avoid Steve and the Colorado River 

This section has the Colorado River lookout and a lot of great riding. Like I said I couldn’t find anything I wanted to cut out so I’m sorry for the long videos :p

Ya here’s another section of boring riding with some of the best guys I’ve ever rode with!

The end of the White rim trail has a surprise for us on heavy bikes DEEP SAND and when your beat out this is a ball buster!!

Well that’s it for this section it should only take you an hour or two to watch the videos

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,038
Little come back to day one...

I'm usually the last to be ready, and this day i kept my focus on this, quick breakfast, get all my stuff ready, camelback full, additionnal water ready...
I have to mention, english not being my native langage, I could be not hearing an english conversation if I don't pay attention or if I'm not involved... I guess that's why I was full equiped and ready to ride when I discover all the other guys are ready... to go shopping !
A team is a team... I went with us

And then we went to ride, heading Hurrah Pass... the place where I was the day before (beginning only) and where I adjusted my chain...

Once the Pass passed, in the switch back, I stupidly laid the bike in the sand, trying to do a U turn in a place too small ... beginning of the trouble!
LC8 was running perfectly and then was pretty hard to start... I start to ride and things became better... until I cross another sand place (Once again, my first off road trip for one year and the first time o a LC8).
Bike was smelling gas, I stopped and took everything apart to check the air filter... looks good

one hour later, everything was back on the bike, rough start, but is started... go again!

Only 1 or 2 minutes later, another deep sand area and bang... bike upside down and doesn't want to start .
Frank Helped me to push the bikes on the side
That's where we spend a lot of time, under the sun, while I tried to understand what's the problem... looks like the choke is an issue... I'm a diesel man ! .

I finnally was able too start it again (Ted's bike, after I killed Frank's battery) and pay all my attention on my riding... high rpm (engine stalls under 3000rpm), nobody in front of me ( I need a "clear" path) and finnished the Jackson Hole, cuting trough the stone hill, easier than the sandy trail in this condition.
I'm really sorry I ruibed the everybody's day.
Once home, without any LC8 carbs knowledge, I did take everythings apart, to clean and check everything.
At 10pm the engine was running fine, at 12 the bike was ready for a new day.

To continue about this issue, I understood the day after that the problem was the vent of the carb (and not the choke), the pipe being routed under the seat to avoid issue when crossing water and then keeping gas when bike is dropped... same result... the 3rd day (after White Rim) , I bought a T pipe and solved the issue.
Proud of me, I checked on the net and found thousands of thread explaining exactly my trouble and giving the "T" solution .

My memory is not anymore as good as it was before my 2011 accident... but I'm sure I won't forget that !
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
07wee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great report! Sounds like a memorable trip.
07wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #26
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 - Roads, Slickrock, Fins & Things

Day 3 - Roads, Slickrock, Fins & Things

After our trials in the desert the day before and some of us having a few bumps and bruises everyone voted to take an easy day. The guys who had done the drive in the truck wanted to retrace that road route and check out a few side trails they had spotted along the way. Everyone geared up and we headed out for an easy day of mixed pavement and trail.

We rolled out of town, dodged cows through some open pastures, and then started our climb up into the mountains. The backdrop for the day was snow caped peaks and the air was cool as we gained altitude.

Bunny that lives in the bush outside our condo.

Our first diversion brought us banging up an exciting boulder strewn trail to a wild campsite at the top of a hill. We turned around and back tracked before continuing along the paved route.

Up and up we climbed before cresting and starting a tightly switch backed decent to the Colorado River which we followed back to town.

Ted enjoying the cool mountain air

Mark waiting for everyone to finish the trail

Houses at the top of mountains, what a view !

After our easy morning we grabbed some sandwiches back at the condo and made plans for the afternoon.

Well Eric and I did. Everyone else decided to grab some beers and hit the hot tub (can anyone say sausage fest?).

For the afternoon Eric and I decided to try the fins and things trail. We rode into Moab and quickly made our way to the trail head paying our $2 each entry fee on the way.

We started Fins and things thinking we would do the shorter southern loop. This trail was super hard. Eric dropped his bike a few times and we eventually ended up at what could only be described as a 5 foot cliff ending in sand.

Here’s a photos from rustybrain.com

Needless to say we both made it, barely. My front wheel hit the sand and turned abruptly to the side but I managed to muscle it back upright before carrying on. There were some other difficult spots, a mixture of deep sand and rocky climbs and in the end we made it back to the road.

Conquering the sands of “Fins and Things”

After such a difficult ride (especially on a KTM950) we rolled over to slick rock to bounce around for a bit. This trail is VERY popular for mountain bikers but is also open to motorcycles.

The rolling hills of slickrock

We did the “practice loop” then started on the main loop but eventually came to a series of switchback that were so tight that the 950 wasn’t going to be able to make it. A friendly mountain biker showed us another way by basically riding off a cliff and rolling right past them but we thanked him and turned around. At this point it was getting late and other guys were getting ahead of us on the drinking so we packed it in and called it a day.

In the end we went back and re-read the guide book for the trails and it expressly warned against riding the section of fins and things that we attempted. Oh well, I guess were better than we thought.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

meanwhile... back at the ranch, the hot tub was hot and the beers were cold
Moab 2012
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post

meanwhile... back at the ranch, the hot tub was hot and the beers were cold
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,038
I forgot to mention Shipwreck help me a lot in the investigation of the carbs issue

Don't remember the name (Chicken Corner ?) but we did use a parrt of another trail to reach White Rim beginning

And had to share the road, as the sign advice to do

The cows in Moab area are not parked... the road have some kind of bridge to keep them but they are free to sleep on the road if they want

long time no rain

Sometime, KLR also need some care

Met some new friend

In the second part of White Rim, I realized my front brake is too smooth...
Never been an issue when driving on road (sat, all fingers on the lever) but of road (stand, only one finger on the lever) I was not able to brake enough... the lever coming to close to the handle, where my other fingers are... scary in the going down switch back .
I bought some Dot liquid when back home and flush the front brake... everything better then.

As Ted says, after riding White Rim, I could have accepted to have this journey being stopped here, no matter... but very happy it was not

rinho screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 07:22 AM
rinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #30
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The first trail we took to get to the white rim was called "Gemini Bridges".