Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #31
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantis View Post
The first trail we took to get to the white rim was called "Gemini Bridges".
Absolutly right... I should take some time to read my notes/maps
'92 KTM 400 LC4 (the first 400 LC4 produced, pre-serie unit)
rinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantis View Post
.../...
We had one more HUGE sand pit to cross before we finally made it up and out another set of switchbacks. Rhino had some issues but I helped him pick up his bike and we got him through.
I was dead !
I tried to pass another bike (LC8 is too tiring to ride at low speed in the sand) but I waited too long, was already tired, was not able too correctly handle the bike, went on the side dune, stayed stuck and fell.
I then stayed laying on the dropped bike 10 minutes trying to get some energy back to me... had to remove my helmet to be able to breathe.
A low energy level I previously met only once in my life (dragging/pulling/carrying the LC4 accross a huge rocks bank on a river beach)

That's the place where I understood, no doubt anymore, the LC8 is too high, too heavy to be rode slowly in the sand
Paddling with the feet is too heavy and fighting to get the front wheel in the good direction also.
Weight on the back, stand, combined with enough speed /rpm is very easy, no effort needed, as comfy as an armchair in the living room.
On a lighter bike, depending on the mood of the day, you can choose and use both kind of riding... not on the LC8.
This day I swore I will always avoid smooth ride in the sand
That's the point where the 1150GS is better, low speed... no surprise, Ktm is a race bike
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I'm so jealous!

I remember when I saw the tread started about doing this, I wanted to go but couldn't.

Thanks for sharing your ride.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #34
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
I was dead !
I tried to pass another bike (LC8 is too tiring to ride at low speed in the sand) but I waited too long, was already tired, was not able too correctly handle the bike, went on the side dune, stayed stuck and fell.
I then stayed laying on the dropped bike 10 minutes trying to get some energy back to me... had to remove my helmet to be able to breathe.
A low energy level I previously met only once in my life (dragging/pulling/carrying the LC4 accross a huge rocks bank on a river beach)

That's the place where I understood, no doubt anymore, the LC8 is too high, too heavy to be rode slowly in the sand
Paddling with the feet is too heavy and fighting to get the front wheel in the good direction also.
Weight on the back, stand, combined with enough speed /rpm is very easy, no effort needed, as comfy as an armchair in the living room.
On a lighter bike, depending on the mood of the day, you can choose and use both kind of riding... not on the LC8.
That's the point where the 1150GS is better, low speed... no surprise, Ktm is a race bike
So the ride almost killed you? I was begining to think you were superhuman
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
I was dead !

I remember waiting on the other side thinking I may have to ride back in there and see if you where OK, but I was like you beat to a snot I figured if you weren't out by dark I'd go back in lol. Riding a KLR in that shit is hard as well, if it had a LOT more power it would be great but being close to 500 lbs and the same HP as a Z50R sux ass . I came through it in first gear pinned. shift to 2nd and she'd die out. Moab next year will be on a full Enduro not a Brick

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #36
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider23 View Post
.../... I figured if you weren't out by dark I'd go back in
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider23 View Post
Riding a KLR in that shit is hard as well, if it had a LOT more power it would be great but being close to 500 lbs and the same HP as a Z50R sux ass .
I did not see things this way but you are right... it was easy for me because I had power... I only needed some time to understand I don't have the choice... I must use it .
My ego remembers me Moab was our (me, myself and my ego, on a LC8) first off road ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
It's comforting for me to hear that the ride almost killed you I was begining to think you were superhuman
No, I'm not a superhuman... and Quantis has brought back some evidence!
I tried to get the bike up by myself (trying to take advantage of the slope), I guess this achieved me

After this video, I stayed another few minutes, without the helmet
By the way, Thank you Stephen for your help... absolutly needed!

And I forgot to mention... I had to wash the inside of the helmet after this day, to remove the hurting sand paper feeling
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #37
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I took my KLR (2009) to Vegas and played in the sand dunes several times a week for about a month. (north of Nellis afb) and I found that it does a LOT better with speed, and also that it is not good to try to make tight turns. Personally I was not able to ride in the ruts of others either. For me it was easy to paddle and get going, but I am also 6'5 so that may have a factor in there as well. It would get up to speed from a dead stop with out much effort, and if I had a long and flat section I could get up to third gear, but if there were, well, dunes that made it a lot harder. Still tons of speed, back on the back of the bike, and I did well to sit because I could slide to the back half of the seat and move the weight further back on the bike than if I had been standing (IMHO).

Looks like a great ride though! Thanks for the great report.

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Day 4 - Top of the world & Onion Creek

Top of the WORLD!!!!

This was one of the big bucket list rides for the trip. Everyone was excited to tackle this monster and after having a bit of a rest day everyone was feeling up to the challenge.

The morning we rolled out and down the highway, across the open desert, then turned at this bridge that had fallen apart and been replaced. They left the cables suspended from the old bridge but the platform was gone. Really spooky looking.

We headed up a gravel road, not a nice fast one, a really rough and soft one. Made going really slow but we eventually got to the turn off for the start of the actual trail.

Now we were climbing up this rocky staircase of a trail up to the 7000’ high view point.

Up and up we bounced as the air thinned and our lungs and bikes complained. There was
a real stench of unburnt fuel coming from the carbureted bikes.

The smell of unburnt fuel

At one point after a steep sandy uphill we can across a decent step up. I finally dropped the bike for the first, second, and third time trying to get up this step. My das was blinking madly telling me my bike was overheating. The sweat running into my eyes was telling me that I was overheating and the thin air meant that ever time I made it up the step the bike would stall and I would slide back down.

Finally after getting up I ripped off my helmet and sat down for a good 5 minutes to catch my breath. I was completely exhausted at this point. Some of the other riders were having difficulties and were taking breaks at the sides of the trail. Some were close to admitting defeat but no one was going to let this trail beat us. It was supposed to be the HIGHLIGHT of trip!!!

Ted showing the good line

Back on the bikes we pounded the rocks some more. There were a few tricky sections and luckily we had put some extra air in our tires because as you can see from this photo of Frank we were really pounding them hard.

Check out that tire! It didn't get a flat either.

In the end we were victorious and the views were spectacular. Everyone got their pictures taken at the edge an enjoyed themselves.

Top of the WORLD !

Check out that view

The champion of the day, Eric, got his photos taken with his 950 at the edge of the cliff with crowds congratulating him all around.

Eric on top

Don’t look down

Open challenge to any other 950/990 riders. Try getting your bike up here!

On the way down I managed to make it about half way before I even had to start my engine. All those skills I developed mountain biking paid off.

Seeing as it was still the early afternoon Eric and I were up for some more trails. From the top of the world you could see the Onion Creek trail snaking along the valley floor and we had passed the trailhead on our way in. Everyone else was either tired or short on gas as they were only planning on doing Top of the World that day.

Once again we split up, 2/3 of the group heading for booze in the hot tub while Eric and I blasted across the desert.

Onion creek is marked as an “easy” trail in the guide books and was just what we were looking for. As you ride in you end up crossing this little stream something like 27 times before passing a ranch then climbing up and out of the valley towards La Salle pass.

One of the many creek crossings

I wasn’t really in a picture taking mood but this trail was AMAZING. Lots of 3
rd and 4th gear cruising on the pegs type riding. There were some sketchy climbs at points and the occasional bit of sand but still an amazing way to finish out the day.

We finally rolled in to the condo as the sun was getting low in the sky but we were grinning ear to ear. What an amazing day.

A well deserved break
Old 06-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #39
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

evil Ted in Castle Valley en rout to Top of the World.

staging for the climb. carburated bikes didn't seem to like the altitude too much. anything over 6,500' my bike ran so rich, it misfired and blubbered its way to the top.

lineups at the steep sections were the order of the day, crashing was frequent and lots of pushing required.

Canuks Steve, Ted, Frank, Eric, Sean and Mark giving the ADV salute at the Top of the World

photo's don't do the view or the drop justice. Base jumpers dive off the edge up here!

That's one steep rocky section in the background and one last crash for the day. None the worse for wear, Sean soldiers on once again
Moab 2012
Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
lol
I did not see things this way but you are right... it was easy for me because I had power... I only needed some time to understand I don't have the choice... I must use it .
My ego remembers me Moab was our (me, myself and my ego, on a LC8) first off road ride

No, I'm not a superhuman... and Quantis has brought back some evidence!
I tried to get the bike up by myself (trying to take advantage of the slope), I guess this achieved me

&nbsp
&nbsp

After this video, I stayed another few minutes, without the helmet
By the way, Thank you Stephen for your help... absolutly needed!

And I forgot to mention... I had to wash the inside of the helmet after this day, to remove the hurting sand paper feeling
I feel guilty as hell after watching the video for not coming back to help out. I had no idea the trouble the big bikes had in the sand. sorry boys
Moab 2012
Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
I feel guilty as hell after watching the video for not coming back to help out. I had no idea the trouble the big bikes had in the sand. sorry boys
Don't worry... that's the price to pay for learning!
Stephen's help was enough and this was my last issue with the sand... everythings was perfect after this, passing everything in front of me if needed, without waiting
Because as I said, ridden fast enough the LC8 is comfy and easy... good frame, good suspension, only few Kg more than a Klr and enough power to ruin a tire in only few Km
My ego did like the appreciations people gave to me (Top Of The World), I felt very happy, especially because of my accident one year before, but I don't think it's really deserved... I was the first, noboby in front of me except when I stopped to remove this f*cking mirror, but it was close to the end, other wise I just had to turn the right handle when needed... that's all.
If, for a any reason, I had to stop where others had difficult time, I would have stay stuck like them, for sure!

Going down was sometime scary... jumping from 2 or 3 feet steps make me closing my eyes

But hey, I did not spoke about the day before

The Guy from Rockcrawling.com sent me an email few days ago... he said he has nice pics
Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 793
On the morning we were heading Top of the World I went over to Arrowhead Motorsports to grab an extended shift lever for my KLR, the owner asked me where we were going today and when I told him he asked “Are there any street riders with us” I told him nope, all skilled trail riders! He said “Good because that hill has gotten nasty in the past two years with some areas that rise six feet in cut rock in three steps. He said just pick your line and go for it!” lol well he was right… When I got back to the house I think I warned the guys  Knowing that this was one of the major attractions for fools like us there was no way I was going to let it slip by because of what some skilled old local told me at a Motorcycle shop 
This is the start of the climb Note it has a boring section where I left the camera on while stopped 

The second video, The rocks are getting big and the steps are getting higher

This is was a long day for a short ride so lots of video

Some tough areas start to come in to play, this spot I came around a corner and it was all stop. The hills where very steep and off camber, I stopped and when I went to put my foot down the ground was two feet below my foot!

The hill claims another victim; this is hard stuff when it’s close to 100 degrees and your beat

Sean gives it a try buy chickens out on the first try, the second try he made it look easy!

Frank makes it with a little help from Eric

Finally after a few hours of climbing we made it to the top and man was it worth it!

Going back down we missed the go around for one of the “Extreme” spots and it was tough

The last of the videos for this section

After it was all said and done, everyone had the greatest sense of accomplishment and I would say it was probably the toughest riding most of us have ever done.

Moab 2012

Rider23 screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 06:29 PM
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Day 4 - Top of the World

After White Rim, I for one had already declared the trip a success. From here on in, I was playing with house money, so to speak. So when the group mentioned the TOW trail to start the day, I asked the obvious, "what's it rated". Of course I was given the answer that I wanted to hear. "It's rated easy, with a short more difficult part near the end." That settled it for me, TOW it is. So, again, in late morning, we hit the road.

A side benefit of riding TOW is that it is accessed via the Castle Valley (route 128) which, for my money, is one of the prettiest drives in America. It follows the Colorado river and is flanked by high canyon walls that open up to wonderful rock formations. Of course the group had to stop a few times along the way to take a few pix.

Did I mention the road was great?

Getting to TOW trail is a nice gravel road (Shura road) that takes you from the valley floor, at about 4000' elevation to about 5000' over about 5 or 6 km. It's a nice easy gravel road that was a bit dusty on this day. A right turn takes us onto the TOW trail. My Hero2 was pointed a bit too low, so there is little scenery, but you can get a good view of what the trail was like.

At this point I've struggled mightily, fallen a few times. At about 2:15 below, I fall for the second time in a short distance and my stamina and will are gone. I"ve had enough. When Ted again shows up to help pick up the bike, I tell him I'm done and will wait for the group here. He gives me the whole pep talk concluding with, "if you don't go to the top, you'll never forgive yourself."

"Fine" was all I could muster. I got back on the bike and made it to the top at 7000' which was only a few hundred meters up the road.

From there the scenery is breath taking and others have better pics. This one has to rate as one of my favorite memories of the trip. A nice gentleman who had ridden up with his wife on a 4x4 took the group pic. A finer bunch of guys you will not find anywhere.

I like this one of the mount at the top.

The ride down was surprisingly easy. Maybe because it was going down, maybe because I knew (mostly) what was ahead.

After the decent, we waited at the road for the rest of the group. Most of us headed back to cold beer and all things civilized while Eric and Steven took off for Onion creek. Another day that was in itself, worth the price of admission.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #44
rinho
Rinho Féroce

It's my turn Franck to feel bad... sorry I passed while your bike was dropped, without stopping or even asking if everything is good.
I also have too admit my memory is not good... watching your video show me it was harder than I remember !
Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #45
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

The next day we headed north towards the Whitewash Sands, up by the misile range. This is one place I wouldn't want to run out of water or fuel

Looks like a mini Sahara desert. The sand was coarse and dense making for easy riding. What blast to ride on!

Steve takes a crack at the dunes on Frank's 530.

great way to end a fantastic bucket list ride
Moab 2012