User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #46
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,052
Yes, I'm late

The day after White Rim, we did a cool road ride and then Fins and Thins, and then Slickrock
Nice, very nice!
Some sand in the first let me discover it looks like I now know how to ride the LC8 in the sand... but I have to remember to not exagerate

What I wrote earlier is wrong... at this time, the Tmod was not done yet... had some issue, but not very

The hardest part in this trail was a step with sand.
Very wide, we could had took it with an angle, but an ATV was parked at the wrong place.
I'm editing a video, but I guess I'll have to wait tomorrow to finish it)

The ride tooks end in the tourist center, buying some nice books and some stickers

Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #47
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Day 5 - The road to Whitesands and back

I have no pix of Whitewash Sand dunes as I left the camera memory card in the Computer, and someone forgot to charge the Hero2. But again, we let Eric plan the route to the dunes and again, he decided to get us there via back country roads. After about 10 km of sandy trail, Ted, having determined that discretion is the better part of valour, took a right and headed back to the house via a more KLR friendly road. The big bike was apparently a handful in the long sandy stretches.

By now, Mark and Ted's advice to put my weight back, let the front wheel flop around, trust the rear wheel to drive straight, and most importantly, maintain speed was sinking in. I was feeling reasonably comfortable in the sand we were encountering on the road to the dunes. But riding that way takes quite a bit of effort - mainly mental effort. So when we did get to the dunes, I was not inclined to play around in the dunes. I was quite happy to take a break while Eric, Steven and Mark bombed around on the dunes. After a few minutes, it was time to head out. Mark and I took off in the direction of a fence where we expected to find a road. All we found was more sand. so we headed back in the other direction towards the other guys and informed them that was a dead end. We headed in the other direction.

At this point, we have 4 bikes barreling down in third gear, throttle pinned to the stops. I think it was Steven who said when we stopped after about 2-3 km of exhilarating sand surfing, "That, right there, was a Dakar moment." And everybody agreed.

The ride back to the house was anticlimactic. We slabbed it back, and 30 km on a 530 at 105km/hr, interspersed with waiting for construction is no one's idea of fun. But even that last ride back from the sands couldn't dampen the enthusiasm I felt for the whole week. It had all been a rush. And I was pretty sure I was coming back to Moab at some point.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #48
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
Yes, I'm late
.../... (I'm editing a video, but I guess I'll have to wait tomorrow to finish it)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #49
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
WOW, Fins and Things is not the trail I think I would take a bike on, and I certainly do not think I would do the optional section you did at the very end of the video.

Brave guys! Fun trail for the rest of it though, did yall do the rest, or bug out with the rain?

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #50
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
It didn't really rain. drizzled on and off. The sandy sections absorbed it and the rocks were hot enough that it just evaporated.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #51
rinho
Rinho Féroce

We rode only half of Fins and Things, and then a part of Slickrocks
we stop where even a bicycle (beginner, but a bicycle) had to walk to pass the switchback safely
I guess I have a video... I,m looking for it)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #52
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Nice pictures and ride report.

I was in Moab several years ago doing a mountain bicycle ride on the Slick Rock Trail. That was a very humbling experience ! I wonder if that's the same trail where you guys ran the motorcycles. I wouldn't think so.

I also did the north rim of the Grand Canyon and all of that. Utah is a very nice place.

I've been out there several times but so much of the West is just too darn dry for my tastes. It's like riding on the moon. All red dirt and scrub brush.

I've motorcycled in Southern California too. Angeles Crest Hwy and all of that. Sheeze, looks like a Roadrunner cartoon.

No offense to anyone or that area. Everybody likes different things but I sure like the lush, green, shady and verdant surroundings of Appalachia, Western NC etc.

leafman60 screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 07:13 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ya we were on the same slickrock trail as the mountain bikes.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 - White Wash Sand Dunes

Day 5 - White Wash Sand Dunes

For our last day of riding we were looking for some easier trails to do. We decided to take some connecting trails across the desert ending at the White Wash Sand Dunes. Not really knowing what to expect we headed out to see what the dunes were all about.

After speeding across the desert, which was flat and open, we finally came to the dunes... AND THEY WERE AMAZING !!!!!

Highlight of the trip. Totally unexpected ! We are all planning on spending an entire DAY here next time we go. It was truly a unique experience.

The 950 struggled a bit but I was ok on my DR650. The KTM 525 and 530 just FLEW through the sand. It was much more like carving a turn on skis in fresh powder than anything else. You just drifted effortlessly.

Big bikes are heavy!

I didn't get many pictures because I was having so much fun riding.

Here's one that Mark took of me.

Salute in the dunes

Well that was about it. The rest of the day was spent packing and getting things loaded into the trucks so we could leave at 6am the next morning. Then we spent 42 hours in the trucks until we finally made it home.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #55
rinho
Rinho Féroce

slickrocks video

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #56
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantis View Post

Big bikes are heavy!
530EXc is the gulty !

Everything went pretty well this day (after the previous "Trial sand days")... Lot of gas and trying not to turn too quickly ... And then I tried the 530EXC... wow, Wow, WOW ! Was able to draw line in the sand with my little finger while turning with my hand still on the bar ! At first I thought it's a kind of magic, and then believed the sand is maybe different here than the one we met the previous days... And then I tried with the LC8... my first thought was the right one
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #57
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Rinho, that was an excellent video.

I really enjoyed that, and I think I may have to find that trail now! Loved it.

Ok, now my wife is not going to like these threads much. I have wanted a white rim trail ride for over a year now, and because of this thread and a couple others I am thinking a week or two might be wiser.

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dunes Video

Video from the White Wash Sand Dunes.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #59
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Fun details about the trailer...

Those in the same truck than me remember the trouble with the left tire, brand new but having a bad shape and making big vibration... we then put this tire as spare and use the spare as a main tire.
Two day ago, a friend took the trailer to come picking us (my wife has broken her ankle on the first day of our 3 weeks travel ) in Pennsylvania.
Leaving Quakertown, the right tire has been damaged (the new one having no problem) and we then put the supposed bad tire on the right side.
Don't know if it,s because of the rotation or the pressure (I did unflate it a little bit) but we had absolutly no issue (9 hours driving back to home)

at home I found a bill in the mailbox... $8.79 from 407ETR (Toronto highway)... they found me because of the trailer licence plate... each guy in the same truck owe me $2.19
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #60
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 795
Lol I got the same amount in the mail. They must have split the bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote