IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Wreckchecker OP
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,314
We are back to the land of cell phone signals and wifi connections' , so can start updating the thread again. We've got lots of photos and this will take several sessions.
After a day of this we traveled from Yellowstone to Glacier National Parks. Gee, they looked so close on a map.

Got sandwiches and such in West Glacier, entered the park, and this is where we had lunch on Lake McDonald:

Had our rock skipping contest. Tim won.

Celebrating his win.

Going to The Sun Road.

Unfortunately this is as far as we got. For those knowing Glacier, Going To The Sun Road was closed at the Avalanche rest area, due to snow removal ahead. Again, this is mid-June, and we heard that last year it took till July. We understand that the road did open last Friday for the 2012 season. W felt a bit robbed, as we both were looking forward to it. The up side is that we now have a reason to return.

So we left Glacier and headed up 93(?) through the. town of Eureka, MT, to the Canadian border, eh. Zero traffic. Took off our helmets, sat and pleasantly chatted with the Canadian Customs agent with nobody else behind us or around. Truly a pleasant experience. Meanwhile, over our left shoulder was the US entry and it looked like a top secret entrance for some sci fi movie, with all the barricades and bright yellow paint. Those nasty Canookians better not try to invade the U.S. here! ;)

More to come, as we've now gotten to the Icefields Parkway, Jasper, Hyder in Alaska, and are drying out in Smithers, BC, working our way toward Seattle.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Lake Mcdonald looks beautiful. I bet the scenery has put you in sensory overload.

How are your K 60's holding up? any idea how many miles you will get out of them?

My bro in law is worried his won't hold up for our trip out west. I told him to lose some weight
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
Wishes from Australia

Sounds like a great trip. I look forward to following you both. Keep up with the RR. Best Wishes from Australia. Rod
rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
rapidfire7
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sounds like your having a great time. I too have a black Super T....and I live in Sturgis. Matter of fact I think that when you took the picture of Main St with the sun to your back, my wife and I were in the Pizza place on the left eating dinner. The Jeep that you can see on the left I believe is ours. Unfortunately, many people get a false first impression of Sturgis as being dead and waiting for the rally to be able to survive, when in actuality most of the locals wish the rally would just go away. The town survives just fine with a strong agricultural and manufacturing economy (firearms) as well as having the Ft Meade Veterans Administration Hospital just to the east of town. It is also a bedroom community for Rapid City and many people commute, myself included (perfect for scratching the itch to ride). Main St is kind of a tourist trap for sure because of the inflated real estate values due to the rally. A good guess is that 90% of Main St has been bought by out of state and out of country rally vendors who only use them for the 2 to 3 weeks around the rally. So, consequently, we dont have much of a down town business district. Anyway I,m glad that you were able to come through town and maybe someday if your back out this way I can show you the gems that the area has to offer. Stay safe.
rapidfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Wreckchecker OP

We've been on the road for two weeks yesterday morning and taken a nearly two day break in the small farm of my brother & sister in law, between the Washington State towns of McKenna and Roy.

First order of business is to acknowledge my brother, who is defending our ability to take trips like this. Till February, Russ is living in an Army tent somewhere in Trashghanistan, where the temp is a dusty 103.

It's quarter of 7am and I'm standing in a woodshed, near a pig named Brat, who weights a whole lot more than I do.

Just want to assure Russ that 2 of the crows who've been dropping into the chicken coops died of sudden lead poisoning. Katie's been a gracious hostess and I wish I could do more for you. Just do what you have to do to get out of there. We'z got adventures to do! Meanwhile, Katie and the pooches are waiting. Since photos of her with the dogs didn't come out...

When we last posted, we'd just ridden Montana 93 to the US border, north-bound. one of the things we enjoyed about Montana was the ability to do 70 on the back roads. Talking to a clerk at a gas stop, she was shocked that out eastern US speed limits aren't the same. We really enjoyed Montana.

Speds in Canada are typically 90 or 100 kph, so about 54/60 mph, plus a bit to stay with traffic. There are a lot less police vehicles too, but we typically keep it within 10 or so of the limit. After Montana it just feels slower paced.

We stopped for our first night in Cranbrook, AB, and got a motel room to get out of the rain. Even got to see a movie, which cost ca$11. It'd cost that for a single ticket back home.

The next morning (Sat 6/9) we continued up 93 to Radium Hot Springs and turned east, to go through the Kootenay National Park. Beautiful road and stunning secenery. Didn't get many photos, due to the rain, but this is the idea:

We stopped at Lake Louise to dry out, warm up, and have lunch. Tim's boots were soaked.

We somewhat dried them with the Men's room hand dryer and watched the Euro soccer championship game. Starting back out on the new highway, we found these interesting bridges every so often. They are for the animals and to cut the number of cars hitting elk, bear, deer, & such:

Near Banf, we got onto what has been one of the highlights of our trip. The Icefields Parkway through the Canadian Rockies is 142 miles long and should be on everybodys' bucket list. Being on the bike, you are just immersed and constantly twisting to see the rocks and mountains and fields of ice. To me, this is one of the most beautiful places on Earth that I've been. This is a frozen lake of glacial run-off:

We met a father and his high school daughter from near home, where they took this of us:

We have bears back home, but this blackie was as high as my waist and easily the biggest of his kind that I've seen:

We stopped for the night in Jasper. Another fantastic place, almost lost in the north and we want to go back someday to spend more time there. If you take the roads we took, allow more time to get out and hike, both in Kootenay and Icefields, then relax in Jasper!

Next, west to Alaska...
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
Thaks for the RR Checks..

Enjoying the trip mate.

Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
Fire Terp
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Theiving Bastards

So as we were crossing Nevada, we stopped in for lunch at a McDonalds in Ely. My dad has been posting all of the updates from his iPad and brought it in with him to write the next update and to select photos to upload. Sadly it was stolen and so we spent most of the day in Ely visiting the pleasant police there (some of whom are motorcycle addicts). My dad was pretty pissed and bummed. We spent a good portion of time attempting to turn on the location feature to get the coordinates. Sadly no luck so we had to move on. We are now in Fillmore, Utah getting ready to camp for the night. There were a lot of strong cross winds as we traveled East. It is easy to see why so many settlers died of starvation in Utah and Nevada. The mountains that we passed through had geologic layers in pretty patterns. There were also some interesting caves that we passed (one of which looked like a skull).
Fire Terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
tshelfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Must be an epidemic. I have some Texas acquaintances, riding Connies, who had a tablet stolen in Nevada about a week ago. Sorry to hear about your bad fortune.
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #25
Wreckchecker OP

Jasper to Kitwanga

The hardest part of ride reports is finding the time to do them…

We left Jasper, Alberta, the morning of Wednesday, June 14, headed west to get to Hyder, Alaska.

Being in the north country, you’ll hear numerous times about how the elk and possibly the moose are more dangerous than the bears. The elk and moose like to eat the grass next to the road, while bears will look for road kill and trash. Bears are lower to the ground and typically way hundreds of pounds, so hitting one can mess up a car or wreck a bike. But they are also chickens and will amble off if given a chance. A hungry elk will stand his ground and hitting one will take the legs out. In a car this can put over a thousand pounds of pissed-off hurt thrashing critter in your face. Hitting one with a bike may just end your day.

First thing in the morning and as we were less than 3 miles (5k) from Jasper, we came around a fairly sharp curve and came to a stop to get a photo of this guy. The photo doesn’t do justice to how tall and handsome he was.

He was eating as we came around the corner and perked up when we stopped. As I took photos he started to get fidgety and gave no sign that he was going to back down. In fact, he took a step forward. We used the far shoulder of the road to get the heck out of there.

The ride was miles and miles of good quality road through tall trees, small lakes, and country side like this:

Canada exports a LOT of trees from here!

We finally came to the city of Prince George, which is a big city for how far north it is. We learned that the good people of PG have two common themes that they like to talk about. One was how bad their roads are and their roads were pretty rough, probably due to the continual frost heaves and traffic. The other thing they like to talk about was the need to watch out for clueless drivers in their fair city. Having commuted into DC for years, we found even the drivers in PG, British Columbia, to be typically polite Canadians. We had a great lunch in a restaurant bar to watch soccer and moved on.
Btw – Thanks to the guys at NRMotors Suzuki for a pleasant visit.

We headed west out of PG in the rain. Actually, it’d rained every day since getting to Yellowstone and rain was a recurring theme for the trip. Having been to Alaska a number of time for work and visits, I’d expected rain but the Northwest has been getting more than normal this year.

The reason for bringing this up is that Trans Canada 16 west of PG is beautiful and dotted with numerous small get-away towns with cabins on lakes. It’s a very pretty place that people like to get away to and we even saw a moose and more elk. But the weather was not very good for frequently stopping to take photos. Here is more about the road: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...bia_Highway_16

Highway 16 is also posted with bill boards that show photos of mostly young girl victims of a serial killer(s?), who stalks the road, which is how it is also called the Trail of Tears. Pretty disturbing and something we heard about from a young waitress, so looked it up.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=1694.0

We finally came to the village of Kitwanga, which is where the Hwy 37 Stewart Cassiar Alaska Highway turns off.

For those following us, it’s about 120 miles to Stewart from the turn. Make sure to top off your gas at the one station / general store on this corner. The restaurant at the station had a surprise for us as well.

For $14.95, we got a full salmon steak dinner, complete with big slabs of fish, heaps of fries, and cole slaw. We learned that the salmon are actually caught in the river that runs behind the building. Nothing like a good salmon steak!

Along the trip, kids always liked to stare at the loaded bikes. Here’s Tim entertaining a fan:

There are a couple of camp sites in the area. We met a couple of guys on BMW GS’s who enjoyed staying in the Provincial park. We put up tents at the small Cassiar RV park on the north side of town and this was our view:

A pleasant gentleman named Bill owns the park and speaks a number of languages and is another soccer fan who got into a great conversation with Tim. Tim takes care of the park and the hot showers were fantastic after the last couple of days in the rain and tents.

Of the maybe 15 RVs & tent campers in the area, 3 were German and another was also foreign. It was always interesting to find how many foreign tourists are enjoying the area. Of course, that means that you regularly some across CRUISECANADA rental RVs in the way on the road and those folks generally seem to be incapable of exceeding speed limits. ;)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #26
Wreckchecker OP

The road to Hyder

Wanted to post this shot of the station at the bottom of 37, where it meets 16. It may not look like much but is important if you head this way.

This was a scenic church in Kitwanga:

And these totems, as it is a native village:

We woke on Friday, 6/15 in Kitwanga and headed up the Alaska Highway (has at least 3 other names) toward Stewart, BC, which Hyder is essentially a small arm of. As mentioned, both are at the end of a road that is about 120 miles in, and the same 120 miles out. At first it was more road through the woods as we headed north. The road then curves around to the west and back to the southwest as it passes Mezziadin Lake and the Glacier Highway splits off of 37.

The road became more fun and interesting after passing Meziadin Lake. Still the same good surface, but we suddenly came around a curve to this view:

And as we rode, the glacier covered mountains got bigger…

Until we came to the actual glaciers…

As I mentioned, logging and ore mining are big industry in these parts, so there as some of these to pass:

The road gets a bit narrow, which can make passing logging trucks “interestinger.” J

And if wet, which is common, I wouldn’t want to do the wooden bridges on a cruiser:

At the end of the raod is the Canadian town of Stewart:

And its’ one gas station, car repair, and hardware store. The folks working here were very friendly and used to seeing bikes come through:

Fill up here, as it’s another long 120 miles back to Kitwanga.

And this is finally the Canadian Customs post for leaving Hyder. Note that there is none to go into the US here. Of course the only two ways out of this US outpost are this road and a boat.

And here’s our destination, Hyder, Alaska. Winter population of about 60 and the most southeast tip of the State, closest to the lower 48.

First thing we saw were two guys with BMW GS bikes and one was working on his. It was a minor deal as he was gluing a broken peg back onto a side panel that broke as he was doing something electrical. hmmm

We got the shot that we came all this way for:

When Tim saw this, and added the ADV salute!

Lunch time:

Stop across the street for a Hyder sticker, buy some trinkets, and pet Diesel:

The road from Hyder to the glacier was closed for construction. The locals know who feeds the bears and then leaves a problem behind, according to them and the language of this sign.

Mailed a postcard from the Post Office:

Looking back to the town entry and Canadian Customs post:

And it was time to head back toward Kitwanga. This is Stewarts’ main street:

It was a chuckle to talk to the Canadian Customs agent. He’d only had a few other people come by that day and was happy to talk. He was curious if we were camping, as it was pretty clear that we had been, and asked if we’d come across many grizzly bear. Turns out that the bears are somewhat regulars in Stewart and Hyder.

Btw – we are currently in Litchfield, Illinois, waiting for a new countershaft sprocket for Tim’s Strom. The bike is now up to 41,000 miles and the last 10,000 miles have eaten the chain.

Have to get off this hotel computer.

Next – The road to Quesnel, BC.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
So did you guys get Hyderized while in Hyder?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #28
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Looks like a great trip, ride safe.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #29
Deldog
n00b

Oddometer: 7
What a great trip. Thanks for the updates. Safe travels, gents!
Deldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #30
Wreckchecker OP

Thanks Typhon

We're home and need to finish the ride report. We went from Hyder to San Francisco, east through Yosemite, did Route 6 through NV & most of Utah, camped above Breckenridge in CO, and had a day+ to replace the Strom's chain in Illinois. Lots of photos and great things to remember.

Tim's now trying to find a job in Fire Protection Engineering and I'm in the rush of returning to work after a month.