User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Who is still using the old ChartPlotters 276/376 ?

Just wondering if anyone else is still stuck on the form and function of the old 276/376/478 style chartplotters. And what have you had to do to keep it running, since most of these are getting a bit "Long in the Tooth"

I just scored another backup 478 on FleaBay. I have a few backups but I have yet to break one of these, other than the internal battery on my one 376 can sometimes cause it to take some time to lock into satellites.

I also use a Montana and have learned to appreciate all that comes with a modern processor . With the Montana I use BaseCamp and it is also far superior to the old Mapsourse. Especially When in sketchy coverage areas like heavy foliage I like the Montana because of its superior chipset, but when out on the wide open road the old style 376 for me is much easier to use, especially on the fly. I have just learned to work around the 376 shortcomings of limited tracks, and memory.

jrsue screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 08:57 AM
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,010
They aren't "old", they are "classics"!

I just wish Garmin would continue to produce a unit with the quality, functionality, and features, combined with new GPS chipsets and memory capabilities.

I don't need Bluetooth/topo images/music/pictures/dishwashing on my GPS. I do need the ability to store and display multiple tracks and routing.

It was godawful expensive when I bought it. I think I had almost a grand in it by the time I bought the unit and maps. Then I bought a Touratech mount to protect it. I have never regretted any of that. It's been a great unit.

I've replaced the internal battery once. Probably need to again.

Still a great unit. I pray it keeps running for a long, long time.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
They aren't "old", they are "classics"!

I just wish Garmin would continue to produce a unit with the quality, functionality, and features, combined with new GPS chipsets and memory capabilities.

I don't need Bluetooth/topo images/music/pictures/dishwashing on my GPS. I do need the ability to store and display multiple tracks and routing.

It was godawful expensive when I bought it. I think I had almost a grand in it by the time I bought the unit and maps. Then I bought a Touratech mount to protect it. I have never regretted any of that. It's been a great unit.

I've replaced the internal battery once. Probably need to again.

Still a great unit. I pray it keeps running for a long, long time.
Did you replace the internal battery yourself? I have seen the pics/tutorial, not sure my soldering skills are up to it.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:20 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
Did you replace the internal battery yourself? I have seen the pics/tutorial, not sure my soldering skills are up to it.
Yes. It's a couple tiny connections.

There was someone in the past couple weeks that posted there is a company who will do it for you.

dunno.....
Old 02-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. It's a couple tiny connections.

There was someone in the past couple weeks that posted there is a company who will do it for you.
That would be great. I did some searching and couldn't find it. Any idea what the thread its in??
Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
That would be great. I did some searching and couldn't find it. Any idea what the thread its in??
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036441

http://www.palmdr.com/cart/repair-se...s-c-31_32.html
Not listed on the site repair pages,but this is the place mentioned by another poster,he sent his x76 in and it came back fully functional,for a reasonable price.

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 AM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036441

http://www.palmdr.com/cart/repair-se...s-c-31_32.html
Not listed on the site repair pages,but this is the place mentioned by another poster,he sent his x76 in and it came back fully functional,for a reasonable price.

JR356

Thanks. I didn't have time to look for them yesterday.

dunno.....
Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks. I didn't have time to look for them yesterday.
Thats the place, I contacted them and they responded immediately stating that they do replace the button battery on these old Garmin units. thats great thx alot.

http://www.palmdr.com/

Hopefully this will breath a few more years out these GPS's. Typically I wholeheartedly embrace new technology, but I gotta say there is still no better or even equal GPS unit for overlall ease of use, than the 376/478 Garmins...Touch Screens just don't get it for me.

jrsue screwed with this post 02-17-2015 at 01:53 PM
Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 AM   #9
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I'm still using 276C on my duel sport bike and a 590 on the Adventure. A GPS V backs up the 590 because I can hit a button to mark a spot on the fly with the V. Plus the V and 276 has never let me down like the 590 has twice.

Now "suddenly" Basecamp on two different computers can not find the 590.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
gundrted
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
Now "suddenly" Basecamp on two different computers can not find the 590.
I have two old Forerunner GPSs that we use for running. They are 'classics' and will not die. I love them. I had one Mac stop connecting after a garmin update, but my other Mac works fine. Also I'm now having issues with Garmin Connect. I think Garmin is trying to force people to update to new units and that really sucks.

I work in the computer field and I get 'end of life' or EOL, but that doesn't mean they have to remove support for software.
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I have a 276 that I still use with the 2 gig card, plus a couple of backups (one is a 296 with aviation base map).
I bought a Montana, my fingers don't work right on a touch screen. It has been relegated to the pickup mostly.
I also have a couple of 78s units. They are great for my 350exc in tight terrain and brush (and they have buttons!).
I don't take long trips and for general dual sporting I prefer the 276.