Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
fredhayes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Garmin Zumo 590LM USB power cable problem

Hi,

I recently bought a Garmin Zumo 590LM motorcycle GPS.
It comes with a wiring harness and cradle for the GPS and a variety of other cables for audio in/out/mic as well as a USB cable.

I dont use the audio cables but I thought the USB cable would be handy for charging the phone while on the road.

The problem im having is that I cannot charge anything via that cable because there is no power going to it. Ive had the entire wiring harness replaced but im still not seeing any power getting to the replaced USB plug.
Ive checked using a multimeter...zero volts on the 5+ pin.

Same issue whether the GPS is plugged into the cradle or not (the GPS is being charged UP OK).

Now, one faulty harness I can accept but to have the replacement one have exactly the same fault makes it look like im being the bunny here.

Has anyone had any experience with this GPS/Wiring harness setup ??
Please note, there is nothing customised here. The harness/cables and GPS are as they come in the box from Garmin.

Thanks
fredhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
dunc59
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
have one and i cut all the cables off except the power cable
have a different audio setup and usb power so did not use it

garmin help is zero for anything
my battery went kapoot after 3 months and wouldnt charge up and there response was send it back to them [the whole unit] and if they cant figure it out they would send me a refurbished unit to replace it and not just send me a battery so

i told them nicely to get fracked with there warranty and service as it is crap and they dont want to help solve anything and would be the last garmin i buy

good luck with them for any help

dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:03 AM   #3
Annie & Her Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
IIRC, the 590 requires the GPS unit installed in the cradle to power the USB. The problem could be there... either contacts or internal (or settings, firmware...) and I wouldn't assume the worst of the harness.
When all else fails try a factory reset then open a ticket with Garmin support or use their "Ask a technician" service for a better idea of what's going on.

BTW, that port is not the best way to charge a phone, but it'll power it and trickle charge it okay if that is all you need. Best is a dedicated charger that does better than the usual 250mA... Doesn't change the fact that the USB port doesn't seem to be working though.

@Dunc59; Garmin's position was entirely reasonable in respect to the return for testing if it was a warranty claim. It could have been the battery, but it could also have been the charge controller or one of many other problems and it is possible they'd just be throwing good money at a bad diagnosis by the user.
The only thing I would have kicked up about was being told any replacement on a 3 month old unit would be refurbished... ie some other poor bastards broken POS GPS...
Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #4
dunc59
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
fredhayes try asking or look thru this link http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966727
590 lm thread

and
obvious you didnt talk to the guy at garmin as i did
bought a battery elsewhere and works fine

The only thing I would have kicked up about was being told any replacement on a 3 month old unit would be refurbished... ie some other poor bastards broken POS GPS...

you dont get a choice what they want to send you back so of course i was not going to do that and get a 2nd hand one when i shelled out for a new one

dunc59 screwed with this post 02-28-2015 at 01:27 AM Reason: added link to the 590lm thread
dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:32 AM   #5
Annie & Her Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
@FredHayes; BTW, power management might be in play if you're not getting a reading on the +5V pin. Check and re-check, clean and if necessary, pinch the end of the male USB connector (for a tighter fit) between the phone cable and GPS harness.

@Dunc59; So your diagnosis was correct, but Garmin wasn't going to know that until they actually saw it - I wouldn't have sent you a new battery on your say-so either FWIW. On the second point we are in agreement.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 977
That usb is a data cable, you aren't meant to charge anything off it I don't think.
KTM 950 'S' - Loving it!
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,323
I have a 660 instead of a 590 so it might be different but on mine, the USB cable is for a traffic receiver. It's not a charging port.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
fredhayes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
According to the Garmin support pages, that USB cable will charge anything that can be charged via a USB connection. It can also be used for certain data services (ie iPod).

I checked that there was no power coming down the cable using a multimeter. I think that the GPS does need to be in the cradle but ive also tried that and still no power. If the GPS needs to be in the cradle then it could well be a problem with the GPS itself (as the cradle has been replaced).
fredhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:00 AM   #9
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,948
I have a 590. No problem charging my samsung phone. Works fineFor me. In fact I usually connection a USB hub and charge 2 phones at the same time. The other is a HTC, but both are android phones.
Only problem I've had is the phones warning of high battery temp in the tank bag.