Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
OceanMtnSea OP
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 629
TWISTY Road Navigation Websites

I have noticed that there are starting to appear several navigation websites on the web with "TWISTY Road" algorithms for navigation.

Here is one I have been playing with as of late: http://www.twistyride.com/Motorcycle...y-Planner.html

I am planning on spending a week in Washington and Oregon with a base near Mt Vernon WA. I am taking the Ducati and was looking for some twisty pavement to ride.

Here is what I have found about about the site and its' capabilities (mind you I am a Garmin Basecamp/Montana user and not a cell phone fan)

Pros:
1) It does seem to get you off the main highways.
2) It is pretty quick and easy to use.

Cons:
1) When you try to save the route at a GPX, it only saves beginning & end points, plus any inbetween points you have added to the route.......so you GPS must recalculate when you have transferred it to BC and it is unlikely that without many saved waypoints BC will reproduce the route.

2) You cannot save or download a GPX "TRACK" to avoid the problems in 1 above.

WORK AROUND to the Cons:
There is always a work around and unless you want to take the time add many waypoints you can open GMaps in a second tab and reproduce the route using the "drag & drop" function in GMaps to get the desired twisties.

Next you can copy the URL from GMaps to GPS Visualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input )
to create a GPX TRACK that you can now use on BC and/or your GPS unit.

If anyone else has been looking at these sites, I would be interested in reading your thoughts/observations.

J
Old 06-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
that was neato. i looked up one of the routes that seemed like a lot of good roads, selected the 'download gpx' and found out it was exactly what you said: three waypoints only, not a route/track.

wellll, i plugged those three waypoint into my phone anyway, just to see, and built a route around them using 'cycling' as the activity guidelines. after about 11 second of calculations, it turned out pretty good, with 78 miles of twisty roads, instead of 81 that the website showed, without having to use basecamp or manipulating things with a mouse at all. close enough for me. ;-)

if you're looking for a full on planner that has full gpx downloads, try out
furkot
gpsies
harleyrideplanner

those work great, and allow for full gpx downloads, just plug it in and go. :)
Old 06-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,160
Obviously the original focus was the EU(?) but it seems like a rather anemic application if it can't even Export GPX Tracks.

As for GPX Routes, Furkot.com's Garmin GPX Routes Export features surpass all of the applications except BaseCamp when it comes to exporting your planned Route.

When it comes to looking for moto-friendly roads in areas you don't know well, Furkot can show routes from MotorcycleRoads.com and you can add any of them to your route plan. There's also Americas Scenic Byways data. If there were an API-friendly site in the EU for this type of data, I'm pretty sure the Furkot folks would be interested in linking to it as well.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
OceanMtnSea OP
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 629
Just an update on the TWISTY RIDES website.

I know this is not a "full featured" journey planning website, but if you ever want to just ride a twisty road in an area you are unfamiliar with...............I think it is pretty easy to use and gives you want you want.......well a TWISTY RIDE.

I contacted them about the issue of downloading a GPX that just has 2 points and they have now modified the download to be a FULL GPX TRACK for the Twisty Ride.

If you are looking for a simple way to find some twisty pavement this website is now functional.

Here is my test pics and downloaded GPX file.

NOW IN MAPOURCE or BASECAMP

..............and the test GPX is attached.

A simple website when you are just looking for ........well twisty but simple.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Trip.gpx (480.2 KB, 3 views)