Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #31
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
As a relatively newly married biking couple in the early 70s we considered investing in a Japanese superbike, but knew we also wanted kids. The latter determined investment in a sidecar outfit, a new Ural with Watsonian Palma reasonably well before our first was on her way. Would have liked a different machine, but the cheaper Ural fitted in with our financial status. The deal was very much reinforced by the lady wife having a history with sidecars in her family, and to be fair I didn't mind.

Did have problems with the Ural, lots, but we had joined a facet of motorcycling that ultimately proved to be great for us and our two kids. Regrets ? Not for us, but feel sorry for the many solo rider mates who left the fold and were relegated to cars.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
chiba
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,175
45 minutes into any ride, my kid falls asleep. In the sidecar, she can do that safely.

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #33
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,043
The only reason why I haven't responded is I have been preparing my bike for the OCR. Who else is going? Oh that's right not Andrew, not Brendan, not Clancy, Not Flooder (I think) and not Snayle but to be fair to Snayle he is not going because he is doing a lap of Australia at the same time so he's excused.
So infidels, kiss my pimple marked fat arse

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #34
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
The only reason why I haven't responded is I have been preparing my bike for the OCR. Who else is going? Oh that's right not Andrew, not Brendan, not Clancy, Not Flooder (I think) and not Snayle but to be fair to Snayle he is not going because he is doing a lap of Australia at the same time so he's excused.
So infidels, kiss my pimple marked fat arse

3legs
Neils not going???.Let's get that right Alex,you only ever do 1 ride every second year.it is a biggie though

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #35
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,043
Grumble mumble Andrew's a c@#t mumble grumble I hate it whens he's right grumble mumble must do more rides to keep those bloody New South Pussies er I mean welshman and victorians off my arse mumble grumble. Now where's that shotgun.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #36
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 689
Well I wanted to respond because I can! I got mine because I thought they look cool as crap and my dad always thought they were cool. I had a child (ok so the ex wife had a child) but than she became an ex wife and doesnt want my son riding in the rig. So I have considered selling it but I am leaning more towards just keeping it. It will be paid off after this deployment anyways might as well keep it until he gets older and maybe his mother won't bitch as much. We shall see how it all pans out! But I love my rig love the smiles love the storage just really enjoy riding it!
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #37
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
First one was because we wanted to try something different for the '94 OCR at Mt Dare with the sand and all that; then because it's practical, carrying space, the dogs love it etc.

3 K100 sidecars later, it's mostly just cause it's fun and the dogs still love it. Marie mostly always takes her own bike, I rarely have passengers in the chair.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #38
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
Grumble mumble Andrew's a c@#t mumble grumble I hate it whens he's right grumble mumble must do more rides to keep those bloody New South Pussies er I mean welshman and victorians off my arse mumble grumble. Now where's that shotgun.

3legs
Not that you weirdos from over the border would know how to shoot anyway !!!!

Now back to the topic at hand !!!

Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #39
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I got old enough to appreciate the finer things in life.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Preface: I first saw a Ural or Dnepr somewhere around 2000. Thought pretty cool bike but not what I wanted at the time.

I am an avid Harley and Buell fan and have had several different Harleys. My first Buell was an S1W, then a Firebolt (and another for racing). I had a bit of lust for the Uly when Buell introduced it. Finally the "adventure" riding/touring/ moto camping bug bit me in in 2009 and I traded my road going Firebolt to a friend for his Uly.

Likes; Handled well on the road, the 3 bags had lots of room for storage and a I could strap a lot on the back seat.

Dislikes; I found the ergos not to my liking, it was a tad on the tall side, felt a bit top heavy, nobody made an agressive enough tire for it and it wasn't much of an "adventure" bike to me (other's opinions will vary).

In 2011 I remembered about the Ural/Dnepr and began my research. From my research I determined a Ural is not perfect, but would most likely suit my needs. I put my Uly up for sale. I went and test rode a Ural and was pretty much hooked. I decided on a 2007 or up Gear Up. I watched several come and go before I could sell my Uly. I began contemplating buying a new Ural T before the Uly sold.

In Feb 2012 I sold the Uly and less than a week later I found myself at Holowpaw Genes with the intent to buy a brand new Ural T. While there I spied an olive drab Ural that I really liked. It was equiped very simular to a Gear Up and even had a hack windshield. When Gene told me it was a 1997 it nearly crushed my hopes as I really wanted an 07 or newer. Gene continued to tell me about the bike and informed me it had a 2008 motor/trans/final drive and the Ducati ignition. Gene told me the price. My eyes brightened up and I went to the corner to consult with my buddy who had driven me down there.

I met with Gene, briefly discussed the price and cut him a check...

I've put 7,200 klicks on the bike since! Only issues thus far have a been a bad electric starter and some bad light bulbs. Everything else works just fine. Getting ready for my third oil change.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #41
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
One of the reasons i ride a sidecar

One of the reasons my wife rides her own sidecar now .

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #42
tempered_lobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Not long after I passed my bike test, I saw a magazine article about the Ural and ever since have had an itch to get a sidecar. Money, time and knowledge meant I never got round to it.

In may last year I got a contracting job which meant living away from home during the week, and a total weekly commute of 600 miles. Doing this trip in the 4x4 was costing me 230 a week in diesel, but I had too much stuff to take on the bike. I decided that I could justify a sidecar on the saving in fuel, and finally got one. The savings on the weekly fuel bill, 80 a week instead of 230, meant it paid for itself in just a few months.

My only regret with getting the sidecar fitted, is that I never did it years ago........
tempered_lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #43
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I've always thought they looked like fun. I've had a couple of BMWs so the Urals looked interesting to me. I went to an open house at Crawford's a year and a half ago and he took me for a ride and let me pilot his Gear Up. I decided to go a different way, just got my Harley rig together, a 93 Tour Glide and a 96 sidecar. I went through the parking lot at my local bike night on my first ride on it yesterday. Its a hoot to ride, I'm sure it needs some fine tuning of the alignment but I don't know how its supposed to ride so it seems ok to me (only got it up to about 35 mph so far). The other bikes may not get ridden as much now.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,000
Some of the best fun I've had in years and a great work out that seems to be what's keeping my bulging disk from pushing on the sciatic nerve.
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #45
jeffygs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
After purchasing a naked 83 Goldwing with an EML attached, I have to say my GS1100 sits in the garage. Why you ask? because every turn puts a smile on my face. Sometimes I can get my wife and daughter to go with me, not often as its not their thing, but they don't mind that its my thing. I have a 2 week trip in July on my rig, I can't wait
jeffygs is offline   Reply With Quote