ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
BenFongTorres OP
Banned

Oddometer: 831
Hardwire Nuvi 1490 to 1200GSA help needed!

Already have ran wires from the battery to up front for use with a different Garmin GPS (worked perfect.) Just cut off that round plug for that GPS when I purchased the 1490. Stripping back the insulation I find four wires...red, white, black and green. The plug for the 1490 has red, white, yellow, green. First thing I tried was connecting all four to all four (connecting like colors except for yellow/black) NO GO. Next, I tried just red and black to red and black. NO GO. I just tried red and green to red and black. NO GO.

You get the picture...how do I connect this new plug?
BenFongTorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,368
if i'm not mistaken the 1490 doen't support a traditional "hard wire" solution. you need a 12v-to-usb converter to make it work. before moving on to the montana i used a cigarette lighter adapter (in the tank bag) and a dual usb port adapter plugged into the adapter. i ran a micro usb cable out of the tank bank to the 1490. worked great as long as nothing got wet. the 5" screen on the 1490 is extremely readable.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
if i'm not mistaken the 1490 doen't support a traditional "hard wire" solution. you need a 12v-to-usb converter to make it work. before moving on to the montana i used a cigarette lighter adapter (in the tank bag) and a dual usb port adapter plugged into the adapter. i ran a micro usb cable out of the tank bank to the 1490. worked great as long as nothing got wet. the 5" screen on the 1490 is extremely readable.
The 1490 does not support 12V alone. You need the 12V to USB converter. Like for the NUVI 500/550. Hope You did not cut the old 4 pin plug. Good to have a spare GPS for additional info.

"http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=nuvi+500"

http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=nuvi+500

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 05:58 PM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post
You get the picture...how do I connect this new plug?
Nope. I don't get the picture. What round plug are you referring to?

The cable for the 1490 should have had a standard "cigarette lighter" plug on one end, and a USB connector on the other.

And, If you hooked the GPS straight to 12V via the cable supplied with the unit, you may have just fried the thing. If you haven't had it working since, I'd try it with a standard USB cable and a known good source of power and see if it still works.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Nope. I don't get the picture. What round plug are you referring to?

The cable for the 1490 should have had a standard "cigarette lighter" plug on one end, and a USB connector on the other.
There is a hard wire converter you can add a fuze (unless it has one in line) and connect to power. But you have a GS so I defer to the CANbus experts. Maybe if you have an outlet you can find an BMW adapter.

http://www.aerostich.com/navigate-co...extension.html

Wee Strommin along.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
There is a hard wire converter you can add a fuze (unless it has one in line) and connect to power.
Quote:
Already have ran wires from the battery to up front for use with a different Garmin GPS (worked perfect.) Just cut off that round plug for that GPS when I purchased the 1490.
OK - now I understand.

The round connector was probably for something like a 276 or 60 series or the like?

I'd definitely check the 1490 to make sure you didn't smoke it.

The connector you had supplied 12V to the old unit, and the new one only takes 5V. The other wires in the old cable are potentially for data, or whatever depending on the unit.

On a 60 series, red/black are +/- power; brown/white are serial data out/in. http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GP...nersManual.pdf Page 92

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
BenFongTorres OP
Banned

The unit will hook up and run beautifully to any BMW plug in (using a BMW to cigarette adapter and the cord included with the unit...which also provides traffic info.) I installed a plug up front in the fairing when I first got the bike so that is not the concern. The issue is I hardwired an "always on" connection direct to the battery for my last GPS (60CSX which had a round plug and wasn't compatible with the 1490.) I like my GPS to always get power unless I turn it off and I just wanted the cleaner approach of having something hardwired versus plugs and adapters sticking out everywhere up around my handlebars.

I cut the round plug from the previous GPS off my hardwire job and was endeavoring to connect the mini-USB plug the 1490 uses. Biker Pedal has provided the missing link that this unit needs a 12V to USB converter cord (twenty bucks) to work.

Not sure if I want to buy and re-wire again but at least I know what needs to be done. Thanks BP!

BenFongTorres screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 07:59 AM
Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Wait a minute you cannot put a NUVI 1490 non waterproof GPS n a BMW. You have to get Zumo.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
BenFongTorres OP
Banned

Quote:
Wait a minute you cannot put a NUVI 1490 non waterproof GPS n a BMW. You have to get Zumo.

Wait...let me guess...

You either work for Garmin or you recently bought lot's of their stock cheap?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Wait...let me guess...

You either work for Garmin or you recently bought lot's of their stock cheap?
I do have a few Garmin GPSs but ride a Wee. That should explain it.

Really I have a NUVI 500. Or should i say i am waiting for a refurbished unit from Garmin. I looked at standard NUVIs but needed something waterproof. Just carry a few plastic bags and rubber bands.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Wait a minute you cannot put a NUVI 1490 non waterproof GPS n a BMW.
However non-waterproof should be fine on 98% of Harley Davidsons!

(It's not the people who really ride their HDs that annoy me, it's the posers who can't ride worth a damn but think they are tuff "bikers" cuz they bought a "real bike".)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
hdatontodo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
1> You can put a 1490LMT in an aquabox 6 to keep rain off of it.

2> You can buzz saw / Dremel the stock 12V car cord plug and wire 12v+/- from your vehicle to the circuit board in it.

3> For smartphones and GPSs you may be able to use a $10 stylus and an ID badge reel when wearing thick gloves.

I did this for a while, but recently switched to a Garmin 2820 from eBay so I had bluetooth audio, then subsequently switched to using its audio out / mike input hardwired to my bike's audio system (after buying an old Goldwing.)
Days: http://www.tontodonato.com
hdatontodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
BenFongTorres OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
2> You can buzz saw / Dremel the stock 12V car cord plug and wire 12v+/- from your vehicle to the circuit board in it.

Details please...
Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
hdatontodo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I used a Dremel cutting wheel around the perimeter of the 12v traffic adapter that came with my 5" 1450LMT (sorry, is not a 1490 w/bluetooth phone connection) and removed the circuit board. I left connected the wire that goes to the GPS. The +/- wires that were attached to the plug were loose. I attached a pair of wires and a fuseholder. I put the board inside an Rx container under the dash of my prior Versys.

Maybe an option would be to just cut the plug part off the 12v traffic adapter instead of cutting off the whole holder.

I still have this laying around, as well as the aquabox 6 holder I used (which needs replacement foam now)

Here is it RAM Mounted

Days: http://www.tontodonato.com

hdatontodo screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 03:20 PM
hdatontodo is offline   Reply With Quote