Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
Seems like strange logic. Not wanting a BMW with a BMW motor? I always thought they made decent engines...? Been making them for years!
Last 4 high mileage tests (marathons they call them) in Motorrad (read:
German magazine), with BMWs, they all had engine failures before the
end of the review, some more then once.

S1000RR was done by the time it hit 15k miles, they had the R1200RT
fall apart 3 times in 30k miles and I forgot what the other two were, but
I'm rather sure one of them was a K series 4 cylinder.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
a few others to consider if you're looking for exotic

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...rabeo500ie.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...lia-SRV850.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...io-X10-500.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...VTourer500.htm

one thing to consider is that the lighter the scooter, generally the more nimble in twisties and traffic, while heavier scoots perform better on the freeway and two-up.

PS: Honda also has their new 700 coming out, supposed to be better than the tmax or burgy

HammerMacGreed screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 07:43 AM
HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Cortez
BAZINGA!

The 670cc Integra?
Already in the shops here.. people reporting fuel consumptions in the
150cc scooter ballpark.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerMacGreed View Post

PS: Honda also has their new 700 coming out, supposed to be better than the tmax or burgy
As far as I know the US isn't getting the Integra, just the NC700X in manual and DCT versions. Still an automatic with some storage (faux gas tank has storage for a helmet.) That can obviously change next year.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,553
The Silverwing IS a reliable scooter. I know someone with an '06 they bought new, and are still riding it daily with no problems. I just can't get past the looks, but that is pretty much any maxi scooter. I like smaller scooters that look similar to Vespa's. Some day I will own a real Vespa. Right now I have a Yamaha Vino 125, and a Genuine Stella. Love them both. The Stella is more fun with it's 2 stroke engine, manual transmission, and manual clutch. For something much bigger I would get a cruiser motorcycle (actually I have one, an '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, bought new and now has over 74,000 miles on it) For one person, it is as comfortable as my '85 Goldwing. However, if I were going to buy a maxi scooter, I would get the Silverwing or the Burgman 650. They are proven reliable, and WAY cheaper than anything from BMW. BMWs USED to have a reputation for reliability, but that seems to have disappeared a long time ago. Now they are basically German Harleys. Unreliable and ridiculously expensive. You are paying for a name and image, same as with Harley.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Silverwing

I have 65k on mine since 2002 (would have more except the military sent me away for four summers) and still love it. Thought I would buy a new bike this year, but, couldn't find anything I would rather have. Great highway bike, great around town!!
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The Burgman and Silver Wing owners already hate me cause I own a Tmax,, I know why they hate me cause they are jealous, they know the Tmax is better but will never admit that, so they just hate me and refuse to ride with me,, i understand that the Tmax is a threat to them so they just pat themselves on the back finding wonderful things to say about their scoot and at the same time saying everything bad about the Tmax,,,, its like a co-worker that works harder and faster and gets more done and the boss's favorate,,, so you find anything bad or any mistake he makes thinking if you make him look bad, that will make you look better.

Are you sure it's the T-Max they dislike?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
Are you sure it's the T-Max they dislike?
+1

Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,321
Now that high school is out for the summer will Tacoma be riding more or will he just come here and whine all summer because the people that actually know him refuse to let him hang out with them.

And he could have 10 different brands of scooters and they still won't like him.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
Seems like strange logic. Not wanting a BMW with a BMW motor? I always thought they made decent engines...? Been making them for years!

My main point was the price premium. Before paying a bunch for a Kymco powered BMW (I have no problems with Kymco) I would buy a big Kymco scooter, either a 500 or the new 700i or whatever and save nearly half of my dosh!!!
If I have understood your point correctly, you are saying that it does not matter that the scooter is basically German - the ONLY thing that matters to you is that it has a Kymco motor and that is where all the value lies.

My understanding is that Spandau is busy producing Boxers and 4- & 6-cylinder K engines and the alternative would be to have no scooter at all. BMW have bought the rights to the engine and will not allow Kymco to use the 650cc motor in their own bike.

However Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha make great alternatives for those who feel that BMW might be cheating them out of something.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #26
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Honda Service Rant

I like Honda bikes, however in the age of the Internet their service is lacking. When an order was made for a Honda part I was told to check back in four days. I came back in four days and it had not arrived. I was asked why I came in when they will call me when it comes in. I said because you asked me to come in and get the part today. I called in to check the next day and was told don't call us we will call you. This went on for three weeks.
I just order a new front hoops tire for my Silver Wing on line with Motorcycle Superstore on Wednesday they said it would arrive today Thursday at my door by UPS. It did! Wright part, great service reporting my parts progress in shipping, on time delivery and 40% cheaper
I like local business but they need a better business plan.

My last order through the dealer took a week as I was told and my mechanic did a great job.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
I like Honda bikes, however in the age of the Internet their service is lacking. When an order was made for a Honda part I was told to check back in four days. I came back in four days and it had not arrived. I was asked why I came in when they will call me when it comes in. I said because you asked me to come in and get the part today. I called in to check the next day and was told don't call us we will call you. This went on for three weeks.
I just order a new front hoops tire for my Silver Wing on line with Motorcycle Superstore on Wednesday they said it would arrive today Thursday at my door by UPS. It did! Wright part, great service reporting my parts progress in shipping, on time delivery and 40% cheaper
I like local business but they need a better business plan.

My last order through the dealer took a week as I was told and my mechanic did a great job.
Honda today is ultraconservative. I say that as the new owner of a 2005 BigRuckus.

Aside from the end-of-civilization styling, the machine has...not so much to recommend it. No tach. No temperature gauge...I had BOTH on my VOG 300. The power seems derated for a 250...my Chinese VOG has a Linhai Yamaha 275 that will eat it for lunch.

I understand there are differences between different engines of similar displacement...but, really. A Honda getting its backside whupped by a CHINESE CLONE?

I write it off to Honda's conservative nature. They put drum brakes on the rear of the BR. They put drum brakes on ALL wheels of the Nighthawk 250. WHY?!...except that Honda's people felt it was "good enough."
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,553
I've never ridden a maxi scooter, but from everything I've read, both the Silverwing and the Burgman 650 will blow the TMax away, both in handling and engine performance.

I hate to get into the BMW thing, but I just have to wonder what makes them so much more expensive than the usually more reliable Japanese bikes. BMW used to build their own bikes, and they really were German. They were well built, had the BMW name, heritage, and reputation. But a BMW built by Kymco? I'm not knocking Kymco. They build great scooters. But they don't sell them for BMW prices. I still remember when the first F650 came out 2 decades ago, with a non BMW Rotax engine, chain drive, tube type tires, and no centerstand. I was sure BMW was making a huge mistake, and I still feel that way.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I've never ridden a maxi scooter, but from everything I've read, both the Silverwing and the Burgman 650 will blow the TMax away, both in handling and engine performance.
Engine, yes.. but handling, probably not.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

I'm not sure what you are reading but I've owned and or ridden all of the above. The Tmax is far and away the best handling and overall performer. The Burgman 650 has more power which shows itself on the highway.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote