Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
RJK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
i have been thinking of getting a one piece aerostich roadcrafter suit but am unsure which one. the original roadcrafter with new waterproof zippers should be great but it is bulky and may not fit in one of my jesse boxes when i get to work. the roadcrafter light & ultra light may fit in the jesse box but i believe you have to buy the armor separately, which brings the price up above the original roadcrafter. as i said my main concern is what ever version i choose it has to fit in one of my jesse boxes when i get to work as i have no ware else to keep it while i am working. for reference, my olympia jacket (forget what model) or my road gear jacket along with my olympia ranger pants fit into one of my jesse boxes.

FWIW, I have an older 1 piece RC ( Size 46 custom tapered...athletic cut I think?) w/ Bohn back pad installed and I could roll mine up and fit in the right side Jesse bag. Jesse's we're on a BMW 1150 GS Adventure.

It was tight but doable without feeling like you were wrecking your suit. I'm sure that without the Bohn back pad it would be a lot easier. .

No way it would fit on the exhaust side case since I didn't lower my exhaust which meant the left side case was smaller.

Not sure how much of what I said will help you but I hope it helps, Rob
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,603
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I've gone back to the improved Aerostich Roadcrafter after the zipper on the Admiral suit failed miserably. That suit was discarded. The Roadcrafter has armor and ballistic fabric in the right places, it has water resistant zippers now, and in case the suit is damaged, it can be repaired by sending it back to the factory, and I've received excellent service when I've sent my older roadcrafter pants for repairs.
Nothing inspires more piece of mind while riding than a 'Stich. Great product from a great company. Timeless.
Ron

BMW R1150GS ADV
KTM 300 EXC (plated)
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
CoolHand Luke
Can it core a apple?

Oddometer: 115
I know lots of folks here love their Aerostich RC - but I had 1 for 5 years and hated it. It leaked consistently and obtrusively (on my crotch and arms), fit like I was wearing adult diapers with a load in them, was hot in summer and cold in winter, and never loosened up even after 50,000 miles so it felt like a suit of armor. Again - I know others think they are better then TV but I was not a fan.

I have the Olympia Phantom and find it much better all around (except in ease of off/on- there I admit the RC is the king). I will probably get a Teiz Navigator set up next - great write up on WebBikeWorld.
"We had it tough ... I had to get up at 9 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work 29 hours down mill, and when we came home our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our grave singing Haleleuia ."

2007 1200GS
CoolHand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
lochridge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
i have the spidi admiral suit. seemed real nice for a while, but the zipper failed on it after about 1.5 years. i think it had to do with the road grime on there, eating away at the slider. (think sandpaper) and eventually the slider would not close the zipper anymore.

i ended up putting a heavy duty zipper on it instead. more along the lines of a ykk carhart zipper. it leaks now, but i can still wear it.

if going out and buying a suit again, i would go with the aerostitch.
lochridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Roadcrafter user for about 4 years. Just had mine retrofitted with the new zipper. So far, no crotch leaks although the real test will be how it will perform through one of our wet winters.

The side and pit zips are still the same non-waterproof originals but I've never had water intrude from those locations.

With the big Aerostich back protector installed, it's tough to fit it into a pannier but piece of cake without it.

I don't care how it looks or how others thinks it looks. I ride rain or shine and they don't.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Had a Phantom, didn't fit well, was uncomfortably hot... In the winter! Low speed (<10MPH) crash tested it, FAILED! Right through the heavy fabric at the knee, throught the waterproof layer, and into the inner liner. Knee pad shifted out of the way enough that I hit straight knee on the ground.

Got a Roadcrafter, been happy for the last, um, 2.5 years and 70+k miles. Crash tested at 50+, wore through ballistics in elbow but NO wear into the next layer of fabric, wore a little in double layer of seat, but not even through the first layer; sent it back, and after several weeks had my suit back complete with color mismatched panels (not their fault, yellow doesn't stay yellow with the crap I put my suit through) for about half what I spent on the garbage Phantom. When I wear this one out, I'll replace it with the same.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I've been riding with a 1 piece roadcrafter for a few years now and I'm quite happy. When you are ready to buy one you should go to a local tailor or suit shop and ask to be measured. I paid $20 for them to accurately measure me. Once I had the measurements I ordered my suit. As it turns out I preferred a longer length on the arms and they were more than happy to alter it to fit for no charge. They are very easy to work with.

They will send you a suit to try on and gauge the fit for yourself. As long as you don't ride it and get it dirty they will take it back and swap for other sizes until you feel your fit is perfect. Money well spent. -Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemsay View Post
Thanks.

The Roadcrafter is tempting, particularly as it's possible to tweak the fit. Larger sizes tend to be cut for the more portly gentleman, and the upper body gussets option mean it's possible to get a trimmer fit.

My concerns would be buying something unseen, particularly when it's hard to check the sizing before I ordered it; the waterproofing doesn't have a good reputation; and I'd like to upgrade the armour.
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I bought an Olympia Stealth last July when I got my GS. For summer riding in Texas and ease of getting into and out of, and, for the money, it's hard to beat. I'd considered getting the Phantom for winter riding just because I was impressed with the Stealth but in Texas, in the winter, all I really need is a rainsuit as a windbreaker and maybe another layer when it's below 45-50, under the Stealth.

I've also thought about getting a two piece suit for versatility and, looking around, still can't find a lot that will beat Olympia for the money.
Ridestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Lightisright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I've had my 2pc RC for about 10 years now, maybe 15. I like having the 2pc and will wear just the jacket sometimes. Most of the time I'm wearing both parts, love being able to ride to work in my scrubs (RN), or anywhere else in the summer wearing shorts and a tshirt with a pair of flips in the bag for when I arrive. It looks stupid for about 2 minutes/ride, just before riding off and just when getting there before stripping it off again. Mine does leak in a good hard rain at the crotch, need to send it back to them for the pants zipper upgrade. The jacket has never leaked on me, you just need to treat the zippers 1-2x/yr.

I've been kinda kicking around the idea of getting the new vietnam made 1pc Aerostitch and selling my current one. I just don't like the two color combos it comes in right now.

As far as rolling it up, I always thought it was a large roll, bulky. But my shoulder, elbow and knee armor finally gave up the ghost (it's memory like foam with a hard plastic panel glued to it). The foam was just crumbling. I have been riding without it and love it that way, plus it rolls up MUCH smaller. It's all a trade-off and what you're willing to risk I suppose.

If I was buying today? Tough choice, mine was I think $700 when I bought it.

Oh, and the new ones have magnets to hold the lapel open? I'd really love to have that feature on mine. When it's hot, that makes a big difference in air flow with the back vent open (another must have for me, a horizontal full width rear vent).
Lightisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
SF_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Think it through

I had, for a short while a AS RC. If you are going to use it over regular clothes for commuting I think it would be great. If you are going to road trip in it, I would NOT get one. I sold mine. Too much to deal with. I personally don't like the AS product. WAY too bulky and their sizing is not for normal sized people.

What I didn't like about it for road trips was the fact that when you get somewhere you are stuck with a one piece.. and it can be hot. Great thing for camping when it's chilly to keep on you. However, going to the bathroom (wait for it...) is an ordeal. Also, if you go to dinner or something you are once again stuck with the one piece... wasn't for me.
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #26
RJK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
I'm in the process of getting the right fit for a Trasit suit, but once that's done I'm sending in my RC for service and I'm gonna keep it as backup.

It's served me well and saved my ass too.

For clarification, you can ask for the upgraded waterproof zipper? My main zipper pull is broken.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
Officer Impersonator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I ride year round in Seattle, five days a week, 200 miles a week minimum, all weather except snow.

I wear a 5 year-old Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece, and mine doesn't leak. I have 60,000+ miles on my suit. If your Roadcrafter does leak, then it's not sized correctly and because of this you get a big fold in your crotch that collects water and lets it sit there until it seeps through the zipper. Nothing short of a neoprene dry suit will keep you dry when you're pooling water on top of it.

What can you do if your RC leaks? You can wear a hi-viz vest over your RC. You'll improve conspicuity, and you'll provide the rain with an additional layer to get through before it gets to your crotch. Wear a towel under the suit, along the zipper. This will absorb any leaks before it gets to whatever you're wearing under your suit. I've heard the new zippers eliminate this problem entirely.

Another key to maintaining the waterproofing of the suit is to periodically wash it with detergents designed for Gore-Tex fabrics (like Nikwax's "Tech Wash"). Once the suit has been cleaned, the Gore-Tex pores can again breathe and let moisture out. After cleaning, you'll need to restore the water repellency to the outer fabric. Again, I use a Nikwax product - "TX Direct". This makes water bead-up on the fabric so it doesn't soak through.

Here's my Aerostich RC cleaning regimen, which I do 2-3 times per year:

1. Remove all the pads, back protector, attached accessories, etc.
2. Open up all the velco tabs to the loosest position (wrist cuffs, ankle cuffs, waist cuffs, etc.)
3. Zip up all the zippers
4. Wash the suit (ideally in a front-loading machine) with conventional laundry detergent. Conventional laundry detergent is best at removing the grease and grime left behind the miles of riding.
5. Run the suit through the wash again, this time using the "Tech Wash" product.
6. Run the suit through the wash again, this time using no soap. This ensures all the soap residues are removed. Soap residue attracts future dirt, and serves as a conduit for water to enter through the Gore-Tex pores.
7. Run the suit through the wash again, this time using the TX-Direct product.
8. Run the suit through the dryer, using the lowest heat setting.
9. Reinstall the pads and accessories you removed in step 1.
10. Ride.

My RC is getting a little tired. I'm about to order a 2nd one, and then when it arrives, I'll send the 1st one to Duluth for some TLC refurbishment. Then I'll have a brand-new RC and a perfectly serviceable back-up.

The guy who works in the office next to mine has the two-piece RC. I can get in my suit and be ready to ride before he's got his RC pants on. The one-piece is definitely the way to go.
1992 BMW K-75S (Sold)
"Why do I ride a BMW? Because Porsche doesn't make motorcycles."
Officer Impersonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,731
I've had a Fieldsheer one-piece for about five years.

Crash-tested it once; the suit and its armor did its job. I repaired the suit with materials that the owners of FS sent me at no charge. I feel safe whenever I wear it.

It's hot in hot weather, but I can vent it well enough. Electrics keep me warm no matter the temp. It's a bit inconvenient when I want to go into a store or restaurant...take it off and carry it? Just wear it in?

I've had wet crotch in heavy prolonged rain. I'm aware of it so I try to keep water from pooling.

It takes a lot of space to stow it.

I like it a lot, and wear it if I'm out on the road. I'd like to try a similar product in a two-piece version though.

Horsefly-bird whisperer
Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
Chi-Ha
soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer: 124
Just drank the 'Stich coolaid myself and got a 1piece RC from the sale section of their website. My size and the color combo I've been waitng to pop up there for years. Fit is exactly as their sizing tool told me I should be (which is 1 size larger than my normal "suit" size I wear for work). I was expecting it to be stiffer than it was based on reviews but it felt very comfortable on the bike.

First time wearing it I commuted home 60 miles on the highway of moderate to hard rain. Collar leaked, but I don't think I fastened it correctly. some leaking/wicking up the pant leg, but other than that, it did well for a water resistant suit in that rain.
Chi-Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
I've got one of these myself. I wear it daily with the same experiences and results for several years. About the only thing I'd replace it with would be a road crafter one piece from aerostich. I have had a zipper on mine repaired by one of the guys posted in the vendor section, he did a pretty good job too. When I goto a store, I normally just wear it in.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman View Post
I've had a Fieldsheer one-piece for about five years.
Crash-tested it once; the suit and its armor did its job. I feel safe whenever I wear it.

It's hot in hot weather, but I can vent it well enough. Electrics keep me warm no matter the temp.

I've had wet crotch in heavy prolonged rain. I'm aware of it so I try to keep water from pooling.
I like it a lot, and wear it if I'm out on the road.

TonyKZ1 screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 05:37 PM
TonyKZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote