Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #31
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
You got some awesome pics. Thanks for letting us come along.
Thanks for the kind words Scootard !
Did you check out klaviator 's RR, he was coming N on many of the same roads on an Aprilia Sportcity 250. I'm now hankering for a scooter, but promised myself a dualsport as next bike. Blessed to have way more than I need already, and so it goes, if and when He sees fit..
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Laugh Klaviator's

Yeah I follow his RR. I have him in my favourites along with yours and others, so it's easy to catch up. I am enjoying his ride but your pics are more eye-catching. What kind of camera are you using?
Whatever it is ....you're workin' it. Our RR pics are either Sony or Canon point and shoot, and we tend to snap multiples then sort them out prior to posting for the day. Works for ScooterChck and I.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=squampton
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #33
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Yeah I follow his RR. I have him in my favourites along with yours and others, so it's easy to catch up. I am enjoying his ride but your pics are more eye-catching. What kind of camera are you using?
Whatever it is ....you're workin' it. Our RR pics are either Sony or Canon point and shoot, and we tend to snap multiples then sort them out prior to posting for the day. Works for ScooterChck and I.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=squampton
Actually I'm using my phone ! HTC EVO 8mp
Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #34
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 24

Took off for my favorite area western NC again on July 24th
Set up camp at:

I rode I77 into Charleston,WV then 119>23. When I got down around Norton,VA I've noticed that 23 swings west around the Mountains. I decided to investigate. In Norton I took Alley Valley/High Knob S and it turned into gravel Forest Road 213 down into Fort Blackmore VA72. Nice little break from the 4 lane 23. Back onto 23 in Gate City,VA.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #35
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 25

My Birthday ! Carolina Hemlocks Campground is on NC80 below the BRP. I headed N on the parkway and took off down 226A in Little Switzerland to visit some friends in Marion,NC. Right near Bear Wallow Rd I happened across a Mama Bear and 2 cubs. Even though I have my phone/camera right on the handlebars I've not gotten a pic any of the 5 times I've seen bear in the wild. However I did get a wild life pic down in Marion of a flip flop wearing, ape hangers higher than the helmet sub species of our ilk.

Hung out in Marion for the afternoon looking at foreclosed properties for sale in the area. One I had checked out on line I was really interested in already had a contract wrote 2 days after listing. Another that was listed at $6,900 turned out to have an additional $25k lien on it. Checked out another north of Spruce Pine (off NC80 up Rose Branch) and enjoy a twisty ride on NC80 Between 226 and 19.

steveb126 screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 02:33 PM
steveb126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #36
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 26th

Rode the BRP from Buck Creek Gap (NC80) S to 19 around Maggie Valley into Waynseville.

Back to BRP via 276>215
Waterfalls right on 215, some kids were swimming at the bottom.

steveb126 screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 04:49 AM
Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #37
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 27

NC197

Switchbacks at Hawks Nest

I Love U 2

Visited with some friends at noon in Weaverville

Checked out the Vance Birthplace. 'Ol Zeb was Governor during the "War of Northern Aggression" or some such little skirmish as they call it down here in NC

Then came the localized summer thunderstorm. I got lucky, donned the froggy toggs and skirted it. Somehow missed my turn to head back up to the parkway and found a cool road Reem's Creek that meandered back around to Barnardsville.
Friday night the campground filled up fast. Swimming hole on the Toe River is a big summertime draw.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #38
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 28

Lunch @ Bearpen Gap, Craggy Gardens,
uh-oh Yogi the Rangers not gonna like this

There is a turn off for Stony Fork on the drive up to the picnic area nice gravel road and it beats hanging with the Sarurday afternoon crowd on the BRP. This little private owned mill is near the bottom outside of Dillingham,NC.

I found Forest Road 74 that heads up Walker Mountain and deadends at the trail to the waterfalls. Several nice waterfalls on the switchbacks on the way up.

Huge butterflies

The hike to the falls is 20-30 minutes, moderately strenuous and it had just rained so it was slick in spots.
I guess the falls to be around 90 foot or so.

Came back down the mountain headed N on Dillingfham Rd back across 197 and the skies were again threatening.

Hung out at the Burnsville library and downloaded some FB. Neat little square where the library sits with a playhouse and the Yancy County Music Museum. Shoulda taken some pics. The Lovely Rea and I will check it out next time we go down. My solo trips are justified as scouting trips for things we like to do together.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #39
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 29

Sunday Morning Coming Down, trying to decide whether to head home, stay put or move camp closer to home. Decided to pack up and head N on the Parkway. I was on the road and out the gate by 7:30am. I love the quiet solitude of early morn. Headed N on the BRP still a little undecided on setting up camp again or mosey home. It was a very clear day.

Decided to spend the day on the Parkway and set up camp at Peaks of Otter

I met 2 couples camped out separately and was bragging to the first that I'd been out since Tuesday. They had been gone from home 3 weeks ! Touring a VTX1800 with a cargo trailer they were returning from Nova Scotia. The other couple on a 2001 GL1800 and a bunkhouse were from Brevard,NC. I kinda got us all talking to each other and here the couples winter at the same spot in FLA. Pretty sure they exchanged info and I may have a had a small part to play in that. Pretty cool.

steveb126 screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 06:19 AM
Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #40
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

July 30

Packed up and ready to roll from Bear Wallow down 43 to Buchanan,VA and WV roads.
Couple early morn shots before exiting the parkway

Near Eagle Rock I detoured to some 3 digit state routes (615 & 621 up through Roaring Run & Rich Patch 616) that sorta run parallel to 220 and came in the back way to Clifton Forge,VA

Sulphur Springs/606 North out of Clifton Forge I came across Airport Rd/703 which my Atlas and Google maps showed went through to Warm Springs. Closed at the Ingalls Field airstrip. Conservancy people had closed it. Yes there was a sign at the of 606 & 703. Nice ridge top views.

Backtracked 703, N on 606 picked up 220>39>92>28>250
Green Bank

you can still see the thing 3 or 4 miles up the road

Stopped at the picnic spot on 28

Stopped again at the city park in Elkins,WV where I picked up US33 to WV47 to I77 in Parkersburg and back home well before dark.
Got away before they noticed me

The road is narrow.

Ducked under some shade in Smithville to rehydrate

7 days 6 nights

steveb126 screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 06:25 AM
Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #41
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Can't remember which days but I did hit a number of FS roads and gravel This is the forest service road that swings by Black Mountain Campground between NC80 & BRP crosses and heads down to Curtis Creek area west of Marion,NC
Old 08-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,641
It looks like you had another great trip. There is so much to see and so many great roads that it's nearly impossible to run out of places to go.

An adventure bike or dual sport really is the best thing for exploring that area however, when I ride my dual sport bikes in that NC I usually end up bringing them up in the truck. You have mentioned on getting a smaller dual sport. Are you planning on riding it down from Ohio?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #44
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
It looks like you had another great trip. There is so much to see and so many great roads that it's nearly impossible to run out of places to go.

An adventure bike or dual sport really is the best thing for exploring that area however, when I ride my dual sport bikes in that NC I usually end up bringing them up in the truck. You have mentioned on getting a smaller dual sport. Are you planning on riding it down from Ohio?
Yes it was a fun trip. Been touring down there since '95 and still find plenty to see and do that's new to me.

Not sure that I would ride a smaller ds bike down and back, but I have definitely not ruled it out. It would depend on what I end up with in regards to gearing, liquid cooled, durability. I've considered unbolting the cargo carrier from my trailer and hauling a ds behind the wing.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #45
woodschip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thanks

Thanks for sharing your adventures and pictures with us. I have traveled some of the same roads and appreciate being reminded of good memories.Hope you keep the shiny side up,the greasy side down(I rode a triumph back in the sixties) and may the wind be at your back.
woodschip is offline   Reply With Quote