Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
Lil' Irv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Should I consider updating with torque limiter or is it even applicable to the '04's? What is the torque limiter intended to protect in the motor? And what is the nasty snap sound I've been hearing on startup if not the torque limiter?

Full of questions this morning...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Irv View Post
Should I consider updating with torque limiter or is it even applicable to the '04's? What is the torque limiter intended to protect in the motor? And what is the nasty snap sound I've been hearing on startup if not the torque limiter?

FWIW, I know one guy (who worked for the dealer) who fixed (backdated?) his torque limiter by replacing it with the early setup, rather than with the updated model.

A guess on the sound: Those bolts hold the freewheel. They would have been loose for a while before breaking, and might have allowed some slack, to be taken up when the starter engaged the freewheel.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
thumpingaway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Think I've got the same problem. The stator bolts backed out, shredded into peices and took parts of the starter and flywheel with it. At least that's what I've been told. It's gonna cost about 1200bucks to fix, unfortunatley I'm not that mechanically inclined so I've got to pay the mechanic. Thought about selling the bike before I comitted to fixing it. Hope it's worth it.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Holy crap.
$300 - MAX - for a new alternator, less than $20 for your LocTite or equivalent.
You got the interweb, ya got OC, buy a couple of wrenches and the satisfaction comes free.
NOBODY was a born mechanic... we all learned somewhere, and we all learned by doing.
I actually learned here...on Orange Crush. My trials and travails are documented on this website.

Face your fear... live your dream.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Cool2 KTM Dealers & Your Bike

We should all have our VIN's checked by your dealer- you can call one & we are required to provide you with any & all motorcycle history details & any outstanding recalls or technical bulletins for your bike.

All we need are the last 6 digits of your VIN to check the bike out. Here's the TB0410 that covers your bike

Many long-time owners have been riding through town & visit the shop; when I check their VIN's there are often open bulletins for their bikes. They thought everything had been taken care of until I did a check on the bike.

KTM dealers are also to enter service history when they work on a bike so the repairs/updates can be seen by any dealer (and KTM) anywhere. When you get your bike serviced (valve adjustment, technical bulletin work) make sure to ask the dealer if they updated the motorcycle's service history- which is not the same as a warranty claim process, if applicable

Hate to hear of your problem, I guess you're doubly kicking your own ass now for not replacing those bolts...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Stator

When mine came apart,it ruined the bolt holes in the rotor itself. I had to purchase the whole assembly. I have done 5 oil changes,now we are good.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
2 Loose

I just changed a balancer shaft seal (06' 950AdvS w/ 35k mi.) and decided to take a look at the flywheel bolts in the process due to the info provided here. THANKS!!!!

I had 2 of 6 bolts loose and backing out. There was still some thread locker on the bolts that were loose so they weren't all the way out and no damage yet. It was close though.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I just changed a balancer shaft seal (06' 950AdvS w/ 35k mi.) and decided to take a look at the flywheel bolts in the process due to the info provided here. THANKS!!!!

I had 2 of 6 bolts loose and backing out. There was still some thread locker on the bolts that were loose so they weren't all the way out and no damage yet. It was close though.
On the opposite end of the spectrum I pulled my cover and checked the bolts on my SE. They were installed extremely well. I hope that I got them in as good as the previous installer did.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
What's involved..

What's involved in checking these bolts? Is it as simple as removing the ganerator cover and visually inspecting?

The OP's bolts has snapped - not really any way to check that unless I were to replace all the bolts as a precaution - what do you guys think - check, replace?
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
What's involved in checking these bolts? Is it as simple as removing the ganerator cover and visually inspecting?

The OP's bolts has snapped - not really any way to check that unless I were to replace all the bolts as a precaution - what do you guys think - check, replace?
Presumably just go around and check to be sure they're torqued? I assume that if any are broken they'd spin in place.. I'm getting ready to check this myself. (winter here) Does anyone know the torque value for these bolts?
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Been putting off checking my 04. Just did today. Bolts are tight, but not very tight. I cleaned them properly, used 648 as it says in the TSB, and torqued them down. Just to be on the safe side.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport View Post
Presumably just go around and check to be sure they're torqued? I assume that if any are broken they'd spin in place.. I'm getting ready to check this myself. (winter here) Does anyone know the torque value for these bolts?
Checking the torque could break the bond of the Loctite. Better to remove, re-Loctite, and then retorque.

Be careful in removal: I broke off a bolt head because the old Loctite held too well. I got the rest of the bolt out, but it was not fun.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Irv View Post

The torque limiter helps save the starter in the case of kick back. The 9x0 has very low rotating mass. That's why it likes to rev so quick. A misfire during starting can cause the engine to rotate backwards and this can create a lot of stress on the starter and the loud clack.
KTM tried to fix the issue with a torque limiter in the later models, but that would slip too soon and caused more problems. They got it right in the next revision.

However, I don't know of anyone who has ever had a problem with the original system without the torque limiter. I noticed my bike only clacks (aka kicks back) if I am starting it when holding the throttle open. If I don't give the bike any throttle when starting, no clack.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #29
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,462
First off, bummer deal...

Personally, I would not "update" the starter gear of a early 03-04 bike with a torque limiting style unit. Aside from the gear, the outer cover needs to be replaced with the newer PN as well.

If the cores of the alternator is not messed up, you can have it rewound for far less than a new one and output will be higher too if you want it to be.. I will have to dig for the reference of some guy in the SE USA somewhere, under $100 if I recall correctly.

EDIT: from the 950 HOW: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...or_rewind.html

Custom Rewind
2014 Pratt Highway
Birmingham, AL 35214
Phone: 205-798-7282
Tool Free: 800-798-7282

However.... their website URL is dead.. so I don't know if they are still in business or they may just have let the DNS/Web expire and go old school. Try giving them a call and see what happens.

EDIT2:
If you get a hold of Gary, and have him rewind the stator windings, ask to have the "green coating" applied as extra insurance for long life of the stator windings. Cyborg (aka Clif) had them apply to his RXV550 stator, details here: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-Stator-Rewind

Head2Wind screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:13 PM
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Checking the torque could break the bond of the Loctite. Better to remove, re-Loctite, and then retorque.

Be careful in removal: I broke off a bolt head because the old Loctite held too well. I got the rest of the bolt out, but it was not fun.
Ah, yup. That's what I was hoping to avoid. But you make a good point. With my luck I'll find five of them loose, and break the sixth one off.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote