Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #121
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Good report guys... I do a similar trip but on the south side of the canyon...I ride north from Phoenix through the Verdie Valley, up through Flagstaff and to the South Rim. Done the trip 5 times...

Things we found that will make your next trip more fun...Use a chase truck to carry all the gear. Heavy bikes are no fun...The largest bike we run is a XR650R...most are 400-525...I'm the lone ranger with my XR650R... We carry only a day pack with munchies, water and some cold weather gear for the elevation changes...We devide up the tools and trail repair items...Chase truck meets up with us a couple of times during the day to top up the water, munchies and gas...

We also found 10 or more riders is a challenge to keep everyone together. We run 6-8 riders, try to keep eveyone together, have radios with every other rider, last rider carries the First Aid...
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #122
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post
Good report guys... I do a similar trip but on the south side of the canyon...I ride north from Phoenix through the Verdie Valley, up through Flagstaff and to the South Rim. Done the trip 5 times...

Things we found that will make your next trip more fun...Use a chase truck to carry all the gear. Heavy bikes are no fun...The largest bike we run is a XR650R...most are 400-525...I'm the lone ranger with my XR650R... We carry only a day pack with munchies, water and some cold weather gear for the elevation changes...We devide up the tools and trail repair items...Chase truck meets up with us a couple of times during the day to top up the water, munchies and gas...

We also found 10 or more riders is a challenge to keep everyone together. We run 6-8 riders, try to keep eveyone together, have radios with every other rider, last rider carries the First Aid...

Cheater cheater....
I know, next trip you'll volunteer to drive your truck, right?

Seriously, this is pretty common in Baja too. We actually had a truck in the works but couldn't get it all pulled together. Gas, iced beer in coolers, and water were top picks.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #123
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post

Joel and his crew did this ride last year as you described it, truck supported way. But where is the adventure in that???
Camping 4 nights in a row without a shower, carrying a gallon of water and a gallon a gas on the bike, carrying your tent, sleeping bag, extra clothes, cooking ware, etc. and lifting a fully loaded Adventure bike is the real fun... Isn't it???

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #124
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Day 4

On Day 4 of our trip we woke up to a beautiful and hot day at Lees Ferry. The weather was so good that I and M1Jeep decided to sleep on the tarp and sleeping pads instead of setting up the tent. We didn't regret it.
Unfortunately my battery was dead and I used my GOPro to take some pictures today. I don't want to use my fellow riders pictures before they post them so here is my short Day 4 RR.
We got ready and left camp before 9:00am to avoid heat. But it was still hot. First stop Marble Canyon and Navajo Bridge at Navajo Indian Reservation.

Two bridges over Colorado River, one for pedestrians and one for vehicles. I think these are the only was to cross river to the other side for a loooooong way...

Perfect spot for bungee jumping.

After this short visit we gassed up and tracked back for a while on 89A towards Kaibab National Forest again. We passed through Vermilion Cliffs and some really nice dirt roads that took us from Northers Arizona to Southern Utah. We were also very close to famous "Wave" on the way.
We took some back roads with beautiful scenery all the way to Glendale, UT that is. There was no food or gas in Glendale so we went down to this little town called Orderville aka Souptown. We gassed up once again and had a great lunch with home made soup, sandwiches and tart.
We also met some Harley riders from Italy. Frank had a chitchat with them. He will fill this up.

After lunch we took pavement to our last camp spot, Navajo Lake at Dixie National Park. I don't need to tell you how beautiful it was. Half of the group left to see an other close by scenic area while rest of us went down to the lake to look around and take some pictures.

We had this thick forest on the back of our camp ground full of deer. Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures of them.

After our little exploring around the lake, we head to town for dinner. A small small town with only one open restaurant. No pictures from me but Joel had plenty.
We came back to camp before night fall and start getting ready for camp fire.

And finally some quality time with good people.

This is the end of Day 4 for me. There will be tons of more pictures to come....

All my pictures are at my SmugMug account.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #125
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 623
Awesome awesome awesome. That was my favorite camp.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #126
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Browneye's RR - North Rim on Day 3

Sublime Point is not very far from the tourist trap little town of NORTH RIM. It's only a few miles of forest road to the hiway, then on to the Grand Canyon Lodge there in North Rim. It's at the very end of the road from the north.

Someone should post the pix of the car that got stranded trying to make it to Sublime Point from there. They must have thrashed that thing getting as far as they did, then finally blew out the tires and left it sitting off to the side. Makes you wonder what became of them, and their car for that matter.

As mentioned, there are about four million visitors to the Grand Canyon each year, and estimated that less than ten percent reach it by the North Rim. I imagine the majority of that ten percent go via the actual town of North Rim. So we pretty much had the rest of the entire length of the north rim of the Grand Canyon to ourselves.

Grand Canyon Lodge was built in 1928. It's quite a fancy place, with log cabins, a white-linen restaurant, and a few shops. The deli lunch was really good, but a sandwich, chips, and a drink was $12.50. I didn't bother to look at the menu at the lodge restaurant - you can bet it was plenty pricey.

The cool thing about the lodge is that city-folk can come there, lounge in a huge viewing room indoors and view the canyon, or sit in the sun outside on their patios. Very nice place.

There's a walkway out onto a peninsula below the lodge. It's all pretty 'touristy' here.

While we were seated out front on the boardwalk for our deli lunch, one of the visitors came up to ask us about our ride. He was an older gray-haired fellow with his lovely wife, and he could tell by our dress that we weren't just ordinary bikers. He said he was an 'old harley guy' but was totally captivated with our story of riding all those dirt miles with our camping gear. In fact, just about everywhere we went someone wanted to ask us about our trip. We got questions like:
Where did you come from?
Is this a club or something?
What kind of bikes are those?
You rode them on dirt all that way???
How many days is your trip?
Where are you going?

It was pretty comical, and they were always really friendly. The cool thing is our group consists of some of the nicest guys I have spent time with, and they were always willing to share our story with these folks that were interested in our adventure. Looking at the group from their eyes I'm sure it was quite a spectacle indeed.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #127
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,006
i'm getting a lot of PMs from this RR.....

damit, our 2013 lineup is already full......

we need to figure how we can accomodate more peeps and find bigger campgrounds with better facilities.

rich has the premonition that the maintenance person will be cleaning that outhouse at 6AM and making a lot of noise...hahaha.

also, look for someone with a 4x4 and act as a support vehicle.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #128
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Joel and his crew did this ride last year as you described it, truck supported way. But where is the adventure in that???
Camping 4 nights in a row without a shower, carrying a gallon of water and a gallon a gas on the bike, carrying your tent, sleeping bag, extra clothes, cooking ware, etc. and lifting a fully loaded Adventure bike is the real fun... Isn't it???
BINGO
Ive done trips with a chase truck many times and the self supported long trips and i actually prefer the self supported trips....it is a whole different perspective and makes you really think both while on the trip and before.
I will usually choose a chase truck when it is mostly single track for a few hundred miles but on a trip of 1000+ miles i really like carrying all my own shit.
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #129
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
BINGO
Ive done trips with a chase truck many times and the self supported long trips and i actually prefer the self supported trips....it is a whole different perspective and makes you really think both while on the trip and before.
I will usually choose a chase truck when it is mostly single track for a few hundred miles but on a trip of 1000+ miles i really like carrying all my own shit.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 06-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #130
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 623
Aram - Day 2 Pics

Good morning Toroweap.

FYYFF capturing the view from our breakfast table/H8chains' bed. Thanks for the jetboil tutorial.

Morning hike. Our boots got a good workout this trip!

Different stages of errosion.

Admiring the view. (I started sticking my feet in the pics for a little persepctive. Still didn't work.)

This whole place was rock. Giant rock. Everywhere.

Exotic locale for a poop room.

No parachutes today.

Rrugger and FYYFF

TBarstow, Browneye, Rrugger

The parking lot.

Lot's of open spaces on the ride out. I was following Riddler990 at up to 100mph.... and still couldn't catch up. Damn.
This is the view looking back at where we came from.

I gave up trying to kill myself and waited to take some video of the guys passing by.

We arrived at a densely forested little canyon where our Indian Hollow camp was located.
This was one of those, 'where the... are we... is it... oh, here it is.'
Brownie was there first (of course) with his white Klim gloves out on the road so we'd know where to turn.
M1sasquatch gettin campy.

We setup camp and rode down the road a smidge further to do a little hiking.
This trail got us huffing and puffing, but holy guacamole- there was something special waiting for us at the end...

I was shocked with what I saw from our own private little lookout.

H8chains

I crashed out around 6:30pm that night. No particular reason. My sleeping accomodations were working out better than I imagined so I took advantage since it didn't seem like there was anything going on that night. I guess you damn well better have a comfy camp when you're piloting a 600lb two-wheeled vehicle off-road.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #131
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
BINGO

You nailed it Bobzilla.

What I saw last year was the bikes were loaded the same way AND we had a truckload of stuff with us. Granted, I did enjoy having chairs, cold beer, and bundles of firewood too, but I thought this was a better way to go. The only thing you could probably do better is to pair up riders and make sure that the guy that doesn't know how to operate his GPS doesn't try to lead the guy with no GPS anywhere.

Plus, all of you sea-level dwellers need to do some serious working out so you can breathe in the thin mountain air.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #132
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

aram, amazing how the weather comes into play and we all enjoyed the view.

last year, it was so windy we have to crawl to the edge
Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #133
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
You nailed it Bobzilla.

What I saw last year was the bikes were loaded the same way AND we had a truckload of stuff with us. Granted, I did enjoy having chairs, cold beer, and bundles of firewood too, but I thought this was a better way to go. The only thing you could probably do better is to pair up riders and make sure that the guy that doesn't know how to operate his GPS doesn't try to lead the guy with no GPS anywhere.

Plus, all of you sea-level dwellers need to do some serious working out so you can breathe in the thin mountain air.

sea dweller....damn, even my bike was coughing at 8k feet.

damn garmin, the montana is about good and bad...270 pages...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #134
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

lee's ferry campround in the morning

the night was nice, not cold and lots of stars, several of us didn't bother setting up our tents

marble canyon is just outside the camgpround is marble canyon. it is famous for the navajo bridge

and north of the colorado river is the reservation

from what i heard, the grand canyon starts here

that's the new bridge

chris we're over here.....

standing on the pedestrian bridge and the visitor center in the background

Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #135
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
chris we're over here.....

Ha. There's yours truly, riding across the bridge...dumbass.

We took off from camp to get gas, figured to get there and get out of the way. So off I went, Paul followed. Gased up, got some carmex because the tube I had got packed away and my lips were chapped by day four. And Joel cancelled breakfast at the restaurant so all I had was a granola bar, I wanted to get a couple of apples. Gassed up and got everything.

We waited...and waited....then I said WTF Paul?

So we rode back towards camp because it was about 6 miles from the hiway going out of Lee's Ferry. Hmmm...maybe that's the bridge....naw. We rode over it and back and never saw them, rode out to the end of the road to the boat launch, no ADV bikes...rode all the way back and they finally made it to the gas station. Missed the whole bridge thing.

Now what???? Back to the mountains, it was gonna be hot here.

The fourth day's ride going up Johnson Canyon was awesome. Riddler took off and I followed and we must have hit 80 a few times carving corners, and then 70 when it turned to dirt and we hit the cut off before I could even blink. Jon says I think we turn here.....I must have not been looking at my gps. What a cool route.

Once we climbed out of Johnson Canyon we hit this plateau going into Utah that was just beautiful. Roads for miles, as far as the eye could see.

Orderville was very quaint. Talk about a morman enclave. We hit the gas station then this little soup cafe. They were very hospitible to this gnarly group of dirtbikers, made us sandwiches, nice lunch. Cute place. No cell service. Morman Boks in a basket at the front door.

I was kind of embarassed. I walked across the street to the grocery store and got a few things for dinner. Not a spec of liquor in this place, not even a beer. So I opened my little mini cooler and took out a ziploc to get some ice from the cafe. The little gal that waited on us said sure, looked like she was the owners daughter, mom was making the sandwiches. My baggie kind of smelled like beer a little...oh well, gotta have some ice to chill some more beers for camp, eh?.

browneye screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 08:47 PM