Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
A peek behind the curtain, eh? or.....

God? God? Is that really you, God?

TWT Admin by day, ADVrider member by night.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 455
Great Ride

First I'd like to say thanks to Britt "BikeJones" for putting this together and the rest of the guys for making it safe and enjoyable. This was all new ground for me and it was a lot to take in.
I was following the leaders most the day so don't remember the exact route but paid better attention after the lunch stop.
Our first rest stop after our departure from Bee Cave, was in the Click Ranch area on LLano CR 315? Probably about 1030 or 11am. Think the mountain down the road and to the left was Watson Mtn.
From June 10, 2012 DS ride

Britt lead us through a bunch of CR's and RR's that were unpaved and surrounded by great scenery. As stated in an earlier post, we ate in LLano and that was by far the largest group of people we saw all day (outside Travis county).
Here is a shot of our first rest stop after lunch on House Mtn Rd I think?
From June 10, 2012 DS ride

It was an intermittent sandy-washboarded-sandy rd, and got interesting a few times. The shinko 705s have been wonderful on pavement, the front tire doesn't grip in loose stuff that well though.
Having not been on a day-long ride in a while I started to feel the heat and loose energy. I drank over a gallon and a half of water on the day but didn't eat enough along the way. I thought I had brought some granola bars but couldn't find them (found them buried under my empty water bottles while unloading the tankbag afterwards). The gang was all prepared and I ended up eating some trail mix that gave me some spark for the rest of the ride (2 hrs more?). That was at Willow city around 530pm.
From there we bombed up and down the east side of the Willow City loop, paved with great scenery and the first "Don't get out of your car", i.e. rattlesnake warning billboard.
After returning to Willow city, we departed to the east and shortly turned north on Althaus Davis Rd where we did have our first rattlesnake encounter (evening is more probable as they are warmed up and ready for a night of hunting), and shortly transitioned to cr 310 and the last stretch of gravel road.

All in all a great trip. We hit 5 counties, if I'm not mistaken. Off the highways we crossed paths with maybe 8 vehicles (including one tractor) all day. We saw zero tractor-trailers, that in itself is awesome. There were lots of cattle and deer, including suicidal ones, but everyone rode smart and we had no issues. There was also a billy goat guarding a river crossing, but he let us pass after taking a quick rip down the road on one of the XRL's.
I'd also like to mention that no-one left any trash anywhere, that's a good representation of the folks involved on this trip.
If you missed this ride, make sure to get on one of the following trips because it is worth it.

Bike issues:
Front left blinker worked its way loose from the retention nut, had to stop and re-fasten and then re-tighten a few times.
Just after lunch, my speedo cable backed out (against gravity) from its housing on the hub. This wasn't the first unimproved road/trail riding I've done but that's never happened.
Wolfman Explorer Large tankbag is too big for the KLR. It's great for long, sit-down, riding but doesn't allow me to stand on the pegs. So it will be in the flee market soon.

Thanks again to Britt, Frasier, Val, and Lamar.

escuchamente screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 12:44 PM Reason: typos
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Ride Saturday 6/23 in Bastrop and Sunday 6/24 in the Hill Country

Double the pleasure..........Double the fun!!!!!!

Saturday.......and........Sunday......Sunday...... Sunday!!!!!!

When.....Saturday June 23, 2012

What.....Bastrop Summer Big Ride!!!!!!!!!!

Where.....8am at the soccer fields in Bastrop...........near Hwy 71 and 95........bring $4 to give to RollingJ for entry into the park.

This is a 50/50 ride. 50 dirt/50 pavement......with an optional after ride around 2pm. The after 2 ride will most likely be a long one and head east from Bastrop toward Lake Sommerville.

For more information click the link below or cut and paste it into your search bar

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73850

----------------------Wait-------------that ain't all------------------------------------------------

When: Sunday June 24, 2012

Where: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

Kick stands up at 9:00 a.m.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up. If you need to contact me........please call five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

There is gasoline near the meeting area to top off your tank. If you have less than a 4 gallon tank we will make gas stops along the way.

Destination: Points Known and Unknown.......Exploring some of the Hill Country's dirt roads between Llano and Fred'sburg/Harper.

bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

We will stop somewhere for lunch.

If you plan on attending please post up so we have an idea who's riding.

bikejones screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 09:15 PM
bikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #19
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

06/24/2012 ATHCDSDT Ride Report

Another Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip has come and gone with nothing but good riding with good friends. Overall, we did 220 miles.

I didn't have the opportunity to take any action shots or scenery shots as we were riding the whole time with brief pit stops in Blanco for breakfast and Luckenbach for libations.

It was a great ride with KosmicKLR, Lamar568, GlockPointer and myself in attendance.

Here is the roll chart starting from Hwy 71 W @ RR620 (plz Xcuse da sp3llin'):

71 West
L @ Hamilton Pool Rd
L @ Crumley Ranch Rd
R @ Fitzhugh
L @ McGregor
R @ 290 West
L @ Holder
R @ Creek Rd
L @ 165
L @ 165 Loop
R @ 165
R @ Chandler/4th St. in Blanco
L @ Main St./Hwy 281
R @ Taco place (yo no se nombre pero tienen tres tacos for $2.99 y muey bien)

From the taco place.........
R @ Main St/Hwy 281
L @ PR102/River Rd
L @ Kendalia Rd/Old Blanco Rd
Straight across at Stop sign/Old Blanco Rd
R @ 473
R @ Sisterdale Rd/FM1376
L @ 473
R @ Old Hwy 9/Old San Antonio Rd
R @ Grapetown Rd
L @ FM1376
R @ Luckenbach Town Loop
Straight to the bar

After talking and swapping stories with friends (Andres [BMW 1000], Bubba [BMW 1200] {both of Blanco fame} and Ian [Triumph Tiger] and Greg (?) [Triumph Tiger Explorer] and others that were at Luckenbach) we headed back down the road.

From Luckenbach Town Loop:
L @ FM1376
L @ Old San Antonio Rd
L @ 290 West
R @ N Llano Rd/Hwy 16
L @ Lower Crabapple
R @ Eckert Rd
R @ Hwy 16
L @ FM 1323
L @ Willow City Loop
Turn around at Hwy 16 and do Willow City Loop again

Because of time constraints we skipped Willow City/Click Rd and some fine dirt roads in Llano County.

From Willow City Loop Stop sign
Staight on FM 1323
L @ Althause-Davis Rd/RR 3347 (A-D starts as paved road then becomes dirt road and then becomes pavement again when it becomes RR 3347)
R @ 962
Straight across Hwy 281 to Bird Ln (in Round Mountain) (this is where KosmicKLR spilt off [South onto Hwy 281] to go home)
L @ 962
After crossing Cypress Creek (?) in Cypress Mill:
L @ 962/Hamilton Pool Rd/FM 3238
R @ Hwy 71
L @ RR 620 (this is where Lamar568 went straight on Hwy 71 to go home)

Thanks for riding folks.........'til next time............

Adios!
bikejones
Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like I will not be riding this weekend.

Since the wife and I are on vacation for a couple of weeks we decided to coordinate getting my wifes chocolate labrador pup spayed while we are on vacation so we can look after her while she recovers.

Thursday I took my wifes pup to the vet to get her spayed. Talked to the vets assistant and the pup is doing fine. I have to pick her (the pup) up from the vet tomorrow. Although she will be kennel bound except to eat and go outside for obvious reasons, I prefer to keep an eye on her to make sure her recovery goes without a hitch.
This is Koko at 4.5 months old. I have already trained her to obey "here" and "sit" whistle commands off leash. She loves water and has a very strong desire for retrieving.

Her first day home back in February with my yellow lab Remington...........

This one was also taken when she was 4.5 months old......

My how fast they grow................
Old 07-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,422
Man, that's a great image!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Man, that's a great image!
Thanks Mudclod.....I use a simple little Sony Super Steady Shot DSC-T100. It is an 8.1mp digital camera. I typically keep the megapixels on 5 so that the shots are clear but not too large.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday 7/15/12 Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip

Ok......Time to ride again!!!!!

When: Sunday July 15, 2012

WhereTo Meet: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

Please let me know if you plan on riding by replying to this post.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up. If you need to contact me........please call five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

There is gasoline near the meeting area to top off your tank.

Destination: Into the heart of the hill country to ride some dirt roads and with this past weeks rain...........cross a few creek crossings.

bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

(Edit) We will stop at Coopers BBQ in Llano for lunch.

You may want to bring a snack as well.

As always.........this is a no drop ride. Please read the first page of this thread for general info regarding no drop rides.

The weather has flip-flopped from 0% chance of rain on Sunday to about 50% chance of rain on Sunday.....but the showers are intermittent and don't tend to last too long.

Rider List

In.......
bikejones
GlockPointer
Lamar568
jmark7

Maybe......

Out........
Meriden
JT

Hope to see y'all there!
Britt

bikejones screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 05:07 AM
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
sweet!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #25
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A Mighty Fine Ride................

Starting on a comfortable, sunny and clear Sunday morning in Bee Caves Texas, Lamar568, GlockPointer, jmark7 and I headed deeper into the Texas Hill Country for a day of riding some of the awesome dirt roads this area has to offer.

Although there were many creek crossings, only a few actually had water in them. What is most surprising is that only the shortest, wet creek crossing gave all of us an agility test…..i.e. a little slippage here…..a little slippage there……..everyone was able to defy the affects of gravity and stayed upright.

A few of the dirt roads had the perfect amount of moister so that they were not dusty or muddy….others were dry, yet not dusty.

The usual critters were out in the open range cows, deer, fox, road runners and even a lonely bull snake crossing the road……that everyone avoided running over.

After a short break in Click Texas, as seen in the photo below*, we continued along CR315 and traversed GlockPointers favorite creek crossings with the +/-100 yard sand pits.

*We came to a conclusion that these rides will have to include more photo-op stops in order to share these experiences.

We experienced a few light sprinkles along CR113 and CR112. However, it seemed that every turn we made onto another road got us out of the rain.

Only on one of the longer, wetter creek crossings, with a deeper beginning, did any of us (jmark7 on his GS1200) succumb to the gravitational pull of the earth…….and this was only after he reached the other side. Albeit dry…..the other side was a treacherous mix of very loose sand and small gravel in the middle and along the sides of the tire tracks formed by cages. Jmark7 was able to hold on to his bike without it going completely down. Lamar568 and I came to his aid but jmark7 and Lamar568 had the GS upright just as I got there. With a little spin of the back tire in the loose sand and gravel, jmark7 was on his way…..only to have to turn around and do the creek crossing again.

For you see, this particular creek crossing, on Threadgill Creek Road, was just outside of our travels, yet within view of GlockPointer......which means…….”if you can see it……..you must ride through it”……so ride we did.
We continued on our travels down Jack Rabbit Road…...or as it were……..Onward Through The Fog…..uh…I mean….Onward Through The Rain.

Yes, at this point we could clearly see the thunderheads we had so luckily avoided, until now. The looming rain did not matter to us at this point because we were on a mission.

You see, the original plan was to eat lunch at Coopers in Llano because we didn’t think we could make it to the Doss Country Store before they closed at 2:00 p.m. However, it was only a few minutes after 1:00 p.m. and we had already decided earlier in the ride to change our route and eat in Doss Texas.

After having some fine food and “a side order of bad attitude” at the Doss Country Store, we continued on our travels down Doss Springs Creek Road, Crenwelge Road, Pecan Creek Road and Loudon Road.

From Loudon Road and HWY 290, we traveled east on HWY 290 to Fred’sburg in the pouring rain. After a brief stop under a gas pump awning, jamark7 put on his rain gear and was heading back to Houston. We all thanked him for coming along on the ride and wished him a safe trip back to Houston.

The rain had let up slightly and the temperature had dropped noticeably so that we made a pilgrimage to Luckenbach for some anti-freeze so that we could warm up from the inside-out.

After warming up at Luckenbach, the rain had stopped and we found a dry line on the weather radar. So we continued east on HWY 290 into Johnson City and then down RR2766.

We rode a very welcome, warm and sunny stretch of RR2766, which eventually becomes Blanco CR201 and then Hays CR101 (aka: Fitzhugh Rd)……which eventually became very, very wet and cold…….again……due to the ominous thunderhead that crossed our path.

From there on, the rest of the ride had some dry patches of roadway and some wet patches of roadway.

Thanks jmark7 (Jay), Lamar568 (Lamar) and GlockPointer (Frazier) for the awesome adventure,
Britt
Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #26
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Time for a short ride.....for me anyway, as I need to be back at the house by 3:00pm

When: Sunday July 22, 2012

WhereTo Meet: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

Please let me know if you plan on riding by replying to this post.

There is gasoline near the meeting area to top off your tank.

Destination: Into the heart of the hill country to ride some dirt roads and with this past weeks rain...........cross a few creek crossings.

We may or may not stop somewhere for lunch.

You may want to bring a snack as well.

As always.........this is a no drop ride. Please read the first page of this thread for general info regarding no drop rides.

Rider List

In.......
bikejones
ShadySmurf
Lamar568
GlockPointer
Clark
Mudclod
ShoelessJoe

Added along the ride.......
Ryan
Brett

bikejones screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 03:58 AM
Old 07-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

See ya in the morn, Clark + Mudclod.

Down Texas Way
Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Looks like I'm a +0 .

I'll be the lost looking guy wandering around the mall parking lot on a KTM. See you guys in the morning.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #29
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday 07/22/2012 Austin Hill County Dual Sport Day Trip

Started with 7 riders......picked up two more riders in Click, Texas....Brett and Ryan.

It's a small world. Turns out Brett and I were both involved in the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Assoc. racing series for a few years. He raced a more advance class than I did.

In short....another fine....fun ride.....the weather was actually cool due to a slightly cloudy sky.

There were still a few slippery creek crossings....I crossed one that turned by bike sideways but was able to ride it on through with the front tire crossed up and the back sliding around to the right.

But enough jibber jabber.......as promised.......we took more pics on this trip....I still could have....or rather.........should have......taken more.

So sit back and enjoy the pics.........MudClod has more pics as well.....I'm sure he will post them soon.

If anyone else on the ride has pics you want to share....please post'em up.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

What a blast, man we got lucky with the weather-it was nice and cool and overcast for awhile. Loved that deadend road and Paradise ranch near Enchanted rock, what a find! Thanks Britt. Here's some video, haven't messed with stills yet. Great shots by the way.

Down Texas Way