Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
unboundspiral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Like others have mentioned. I lash a 35 liter stuff sack which rests on the top of each vario side case. One sack contains the down sleeping bags and thermarests and one butterfly chair. There's enough room to just press in a sweatshirt too. The other contains the tent an rei half dome and a butterfly chair and rain gear. I usually stuff in the aerostich bike cover in there too This side is the potential damp bag. Usually I find my sweatshirt needs to go in the tank bag along with some extra tools a liter of water camera charging accessories. iPhone is mounted on the dash.

Partner gets the right vario. If her computer comes must fit there too. Have BMW inner bags. They are convenient and easily go in the tent at night. We plan on going about 6 days before wanting a washing machine.

Top case is mine. I add an iPad in when I'm packing. Oh forgot the two blow up pillows. They are with the thermarests.

Left pannier is filled with the other camp gear and emergency rations. Eg MRI stove liter of gas, Msi 2 person cook set led lantern box with cutlery. Etc. btw you want camp towels too! And never forget the baby wipes! I also have a drip coffee maker and even manage the plastic table cloth in the lid. Still room in there for some dried or freeze dried food too. Toss in coffee and tea. I have a nice vacuum thermos stainless steel that goes in too. Usually fill it with some cold milk daily.

With camping a key thing is leaving the day gear on the bike. You can't take jackets and pants into a tiny tent at night. Particularly if raining. I keep a cable under the seat. Both helmets will attach to the underseat hooks. Run the cable through the pants and jacket and snap the seat back. Take out that aerostitch cover and hide it all. It's no fun walking around with lots of gear and most places locking it on like this is probably deterrent enough.

What did I miss. Hmm usually take the air pump for tires. And tire repair kit.

One day I'll weigh all the stuff. Am sure we are at the max recommended weight load. The Olins make it all very comfortable.

2up bike camping is easy. It does rely on great back packers gear and shop almost daily for an evening meal.

Last item. Sena Smh-10 bluetooth headsets. Have enough charging points on your bike. The senas have never yet drained my battery charging them overnight.
unboundspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
I have a 09 1200 GSA and ride 2 up with camping gear often. Last summer rode over 4,000 miles in 10 days with camping gear. I always use the top case. First you need to know how to travel and pack for 2. My wife gets the large r side I get the left And the top is for tools, emergency equipment and just stuff. The secret is to pack for 3 days and just wash cloths. The riding gear can be washed in the shower and will be dry in the morning. Next is the camping gear. On top of the left case are 2 chairs and 1 sleeping bag, on the r is the tent and a sleeping bag. On the top is a squashed down polar bear ice chest and a air mattress. Of corse all are in dry bags. . I carry no cooking stuff and after we set up camp we take the ice chest and make a run to town for what ever food and stuff we need. This works great and we have traveled all over the US like this. Being careful the bike is not overloaded but it is loaded. Good luck.
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Pappy, good words...thanks for the complete and specific locations for gear. I agree with packing for three days and carrying EZ launder clothing....
Also, no cooking in camp helps...
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
bmdubyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
got a tank bag? its a good place to keep little stuff (sunglasses, water bottle etc) & maybe a small camera that you can stop & take a quick pic so you dont even have to dismount!
bmdubyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

I like the idea of strapping dry bags to the top of the side cases. I am looking at the medium size "Wolfman" bags...each one is about 40 liters, and they open along the top!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
Here's some pic of our packing for a trip around the Trans Lab.

Top case has the tent, couple of bug jackets, stove, fuel bottle, water filter and misc stuff. Tried to keep the weight down low in the panniers and not to much in the top box. I wouldn't bother with the water filter given that if there is gas there is bottled water. Nice though if your in an area and the water isn't potable and you want to save on fuel and not have to boil it.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
unboundspiral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
The 40litre wolfman bags should be perfect for the job. With varios cases i just use a couple of straps each side through the rear carrier tie down slots. Bags are pulled in and sit flush on top of the cases. Can slide them back enough so the don't crush the passengers knees. They hang out the back a little further. They have never come loose.

Start packing, get going and have fun!
unboundspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
mikijakovadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111

This is how I pack for 2up multiple days... The lightest and bulkiest stuff like two sleeping bags,2 thermarest pillows and some food goes in top box.
Electronics and first aid kit,head lamps,swiss knife,choco bars,wet ass wipes and tyre fix kit goes into tank bag.
Rain gears for two with extra gloves is in side front touratech 3ltrs bags (excellent if you tip over).
Right pannier is for chlotes and hygene.
Left pannier is for cooking utensiles,shoes,two chairs,3ltrs of water,msr dragonfly petrol burner,tools,canned food...
Right dry ortlieb bag is for two thermarests,heating gear ald left dry bag for msr 3kg mutha hubba msr tent.
On the back of right pannier is 2 ltrs of extra 100 octane fuel for burner or bike,and left back is msr fuel bottle and 1/2 ltr of engine oil.
With all this gear there is some space left for souvenirs and ....
Worst thing you can do is overpack!
Safe trip ::

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Ditch the camping gear and motel it the whole way.

Whatever you do STOP by 3pm. DO NOT ride all day and look for a night stop after 4 or so. Stop early and enjoy the place where you are for the rest of the afternoon and evening. DO NOT ride until later and then look for a place, it sucks, SHE will not like it and it gets argumentative.
I have travelled with my wife for 12 years on motorcycles, trust me on this...STOP EARLY.

wisdom...
Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #25
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,236
Yeah the more i think about that statement it is pretty smart...
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Travelling for two

My friend will kill me for posting this, but here it is:

Two middle aged adults, BMW R90, 12 days on the west coast. Hepco Becker original bags. He built a special back rack so she could have room for more of her stuff. They stayed in cheap motels but did 3-400 miles a day.

You don't need all the fanciest stuff to have a good time.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
OK. Reality check/ This is how it's going to go:

You hand her 1 saddle bag and say "This is yours. Every thing you need for a week must fit in this"

After she fills that one up. And the other one.

You will be down to a pair of underwear stuffed in the tank bag and your Aerostitch, which you are wearing.

But. Don't plan on keeping that pair of underwear. Your tank bag my friends, will be needed for souvenirs at some point.

At least in my world any way.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great advice everyone! I love it. And the motel v camping thread rages on. My ex and I used to camp and motel it. There were several trips where we eventually just shipped all the camping gear home. This was because we were moving nearly every day, and it's a pain to pull up stakes, pack and re pack on a daily basis.

This trip will involve staying in two places, each for about 5-6 days. Should be better.

Lots of great advice, and I really appreciate the detailed thoughts you've posted. I think the only thing I actually need to purchase is a small camp stove-I'm thinking a Jet Boil (pricy but compact) for that necessary tea and coffee in the a.m..

One last question....what kind of chairs do you pack?, especially those of you who've written that they fit in the side cases??

Best,
Steve
Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #29
Filet
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Jet Boil

The Jet Boil works beautifully. Bring two fuel cannisters and buy a new one when one runs out.

A motel/hotel stop in the middle of the trip will ensure she can clean up to her satisfaction, do her toenails, etc... Definitely improves morale.
Filet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ha ha...passenger morale is VERY important on a longer trip. Even when camping I try to select "nicer" campgrounds with clean showers, lots of hot water, and preferably a restaurant on site...not married, but the concept of "happy wife, happy life," is crystal clear!

Steve in So Cal