User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,651
Dirt bike trike, looking for ideas

My good friend Chris Miller had a stroke December 2014 leaving him with a balance, vision and mobility issues, he is currently capable of ridding a 3 wheel bicycle to get himself to phisio.

http://www.revelstokecurrent.com/201...omment-page-1/

A couple years ago I sold him my 220 KDX and thought the other day perhaps I could build it into a trike so we can get him out with us on logging road rides, I know he would love it.

So I will scower the web but I'm looking for ideas and I think he had a spare frame kicking around in case I need heavy modifications.

On my list would be 2 wheel drive with a disk brakes(s) on the rear,, I will have to see what he is capable of throttle, clutch, brakes and shifter wise, (typical stroke with one side being more affected) prefer not to go the sidecar route but it may be the way to go so he can bring his dog along.

The budget is tight as I'm unemployed but pretty resource full, any good ideas lads? If this flys this thread can become the build page.

Chris Miller ripping powder
 photo imagejpg1_zps57e447be.jpg

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny screwed with this post 02-21-2015 at 09:39 AM
anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Why not just get a quad bike? Seems the perfect application for it.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
bigblockbarry
Random Misfire

Oddometer: 52
You might get lucky and find a swingarm assembly off an old 3 wheeler that would fit the bill.A used 4 wheeler with a CVT would probably be the best bet.Good luck to you both.

Thomas Jefferson
bigblockbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
invisa-bill
n00b

Oddometer: 1
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...f-thread/page2
invisa-bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
it's going to want to tip over because it's going to be tall. A race quad will fit the bill much better. Not saying not to do it but it would be safer.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Straightedge
Skin Donor

Oddometer: 35
What about an "ADV'd" Can-am style: sits lower, two front wheel stability,... Now my gears are turning!
Look up Brudeli Leanster 654L for a more extreme idea.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.
-Helen Adams Keller

Straightedge screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 05:10 PM
Straightedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
What about an "ADV'd" Can-am style: sits lower, two front wheel stability,... Now my gears are turning!
Look up Brudeli Leanster 654L for a more extreme idea.
The reversed trike dirtbike might work better. I have seen pictures of at lest one KTM done this way. I didn't even think about that. Google will find them.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
nbleak21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Tadpole

I've been considering a reverse trike (Tadpole) dual sport myself. A quad front end mated to a full DS frame would be relatively easy work... Just have to find the right donor.
nbleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
it doesn't need to be 2 wheel drive unless you are dealing with deep mud or sand. I built a 3rd wheel for my klr some years ago so I could more easily ride in the winter. a side hack is not a motorcycle. it handles very differently. I always intended to build a "leaner".... where the 3rd wheel leans but stays parallel to the bike as it leans in the corners. with properly limited range it would ride mostly like a bike but could not fall over. there are examples on the net. as for sidecar stuff..... read the sidecar manual by Kendall here:

http://sidecar.com/links3.asp
Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
I like the 2 wheels forward idea too. someday I'm gonna build a mini Morgan
Old 02-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
OldDog
aka Hugh Jarse

Oddometer: 4,685
We did a bit of research on this a couple years ago, the idea being much as you're thinking but with an old XR as the basis and two wheel drive at the rear. This was for mainly off road tracks. Biggest problem is the front single wheel will be deflected by the hump left in the middle of the track by four wheel drive vehicles etc. The solution was to build a quad, but that wasn't appealing so the idea was quickly scrapped.

The idea of using a single rear wheel drive and 2 front steer wheels....now that's inspired! I'd have to say that would be a much better solution. The rear of the bike will move around due to that centre hump, but it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #12
adam728
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Single rear wheel, two front sounds like it could be neat. But, I think going that route would be MUCH easier if starting with a quad, just need to setup a swingarm and wheel. Going the other way and trying to add a quad-like front end to a bike would be MUCH more work.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #13
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 1,017
There is a RR here somewhere .. A couple from Oz reworked two bikes, hers (KTM) was 2 wheel forward , and his (GS) had a trailer to carry her Chair. They rode across the US a year or so back.
May be a good place to get some insight.
The KTM had a set up like the three wheeled scooters, the wheels tilted on curves
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
adam728
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Forget what I said, build this!
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote