Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #226
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Those bikes are sweet! I've been on the lookout for a totaled Versys to have on hand when my KLR is ready for a freshening up.

To bad I missed you when you were in southern Idaho. I would have ridden the 150 miles just to check out the KLR twins.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #227
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Excellent thread, have you decided if your going to go into business with all that entails?

Cheers Slowphil

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #228
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
Excellent thread, have you decided if your going to go into business with all that entails?

Cheers Slowphil

I've been waffling about it but according to my wife I'm already committed. I bought another Versys yesterday and she say's "It's not for YOU so you better build another and sell it".

It's the "all that it entails" part that's got me a bit concerned. But hey, it's all just part of the adventure, right?

BTW, we'll be at the Roll the Bones rally in Lake Whitney, TX Oct 25-27 so if you're in the area stop by and take one for a spin.
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #229
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, I may have missed it, but what about frame modification services? Someone sends you a KLR frame, and you modify it to fit the versys engine and send it back. That would be the most difficult part for most of us, and you already have a jig sorted out. That and the header pipe would be the hardest parts for myself and many others.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #230
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, I may have missed it, but what about frame modification services? Someone sends you a KLR frame, and you modify it to fit the versys engine and send it back. That would be the most difficult part for most of us, and you already have a jig sorted out. That and the header pipe would be the hardest parts for myself and many others.
At this point in time I'm only interested in building complete bikes, and partial builds don't look to be economically feasible, at least not yet. Still too many hand made parts.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #231
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Nice Read KLRsys

Just spent a few hours reading your post. Good on ya. Got the Rocky theme song running in my head for ya. Been watchin the builds of this Kawi twin for some time. Thought about it but bought a 950 instead 'case life is short. Still have an itch tho. Met Jay Springer up Castle Rock flat track last year and he is involved with Kawi to get more rider on the track via less expensive bikes with this motor. That's a good motor for ya. Had good luck with Kawis my self. 86K on a 86 600 Ninja. 90k on my 92 ZX7R.
Thanks again for the read.
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #232
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
At this point in time I'm only interested in building complete bikes, and partial builds don't look to be economically feasible, at least not yet. Still too many hand made parts.

It is clear you are interested in the engine portion but those flimsy forks and that single brake would concern me for a bike with 70 HP vs 36.They must wobble some when you turn them up. Any plans to start looking at some quality USD forks and fitting some sort of 21 wheel with a twin rotor brake? Fork flex may have contributed to that tire/tube failure. Seems like a Ninja 600 front fork, t-clamps and brake system would be a good place to start. You are a good machinist and should be able to do this . Front 21 wheel with twin discs is biggest problem area. Your work is outstanding.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #233
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
It is clear you are interested in the engine portion but those flimsy forks and that single brake would concern me for a bike with 70 HP vs 36.They must wobble some when you turn them up. Any plans to start looking at some quality USD forks and fitting some sort of 21 wheel with a twin rotor brake? Fork flex may have contributed to that tire/tube failure. Seems like a Ninja 600 front fork, t-clamps and brake system would be a good place to start. You are a good machinist and should be able to do this . Front 21 wheel with twin discs is biggest problem area. Your work is outstanding.
Single front disk is a big problem???

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #234
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Single front disk is a big problem???

You already have QUALITY BRAKES and FORKS on that bike! We are talking about KLRs here. But ,in fact yes, even that KTM could use double discs. KLR stuff is very "price point". So at least the OP knows where to get a front end that works pretty well (KTM). Or, maybe an XC front 21 from a Triumph.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #235
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Brakes - Admittedly the Gen1 KLR's brakes leave something to be desired but the larger rotor and good pads fixes it to my satisfaction. The Gen2 brakes are fine. The fact that the bike has more horsepower now doesn't change the braking at all. It doesn't require any more brake to stop the same bike whether it has 36hp or 70hp, unless you forget to close the throttle when braking. You must understand that I really don't ride it much faster than I did before the engine swap, I just ride it further because it's so much nicer now. Also I don't like an overly powerful front brake on a bike I ride on gravel.

Forks - I've thought about changing to USD but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze, at least not for the way I ride. The new back shock and front springs/emulators helped a lot and I'm quite happy with it as is. But at the end of Oct I'm hoping to ride a friends 05 KLR that has the USD fork conversion, I'd like to ride them back to back to see the difference. Maybe for the next build...
Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #236
buls4evr
No Marks....

The basic formula has never changed, F=ma. You have more mass with the heavier engine and a lot more accelleration from that engine.Especially when you load down bikes with a lot of luggage. That bike weighs more than a standard Versys I suspect and it( Versys) has 2 quite large discs, 2 larger calipers and they are mounted in USD forks with large T-Clamps.Kawasaki engineers really do know what they are doing when it comes to brakes.They think it takes more force to stop that much mass from speed.

If you pushed this bike to it's limit even once I think you would show underbrake and steering head shake/deflection on blacktop. A build this good deserves a better front end than the 1980s junk that a KLR has on it.You need to be ready to make a fast stop and want your bike to be able to do it and stop in a straight line. Gravel stopping is controlled by the brake lever pressure being lessened. One never hopes for a "weak brake" in any circumstances to help them.

T-Clamps.....just take a look at them! If the forks WERE strong enough, then the T-Clamps would still be insufficient by at least 50% for a bike this size.At least put a fork brace on the thing.That might help to keep them inline a little.Just asking you to consider this before that beautiful bike ends up in someones trunk
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #237
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Hmmmmm...

Quote:
The basic formula has never changed, F=ma. You have more mass with the heavier engine and a lot more accelleration from that engine.Especially when you load down bikes with a lot of luggage. That bike weighs more than a standard Versys I suspect and it( Versys) has 2 quite large discs, 2 larger calipers and they are mounted in USD forks with large T-Clamps.Kawasaki engineers really do know what they are doing when it comes to brakes.They think it takes more force to stop that much mass from speed.

If you pushed this bike to it's limit even once I think you would show underbrake and steering head shake/deflection on blacktop. A build this good deserves a better front end than the 1980s junk that a KLR has on it.You need to be ready to make a fast stop and want your bike to be able to do it and stop in a straight line. Gravel stopping is controlled by the brake lever pressure being lessened. One never hopes for a "weak brake" in any circumstances to help them.

T-Clamps.....just take a look at them! If the forks WERE strong enough, then the T-Clamps would still be insufficient by at least 50% for a bike this size.At least put a fork brace on the thing.That might help to keep them inline a little.Just asking you to consider this before that beautiful bike ends up in someones trunk

Hmmmm...

Let's see... KLRsys has actually built the bike, and built the bike he wanted (and apparently one that others have wanted, too, since they bought 'em). He has ridden both the KLR variants as well as the Versys, and combined the things he liked about both. He's a very smart guy, and an very experienced rider who has ridden one of these to Alaska and back, and I don't recall any part of that trip where "that beautiful bike ends up in someone's trunk"...

I don't want to sound out of line, but it seems to me if you don't like what he's built then you could always grab your tools and build your own. Why trash his thread by trying to get into an irrelevant debate with him?

He's actually ridden *ALL* the bikes being discussed here... Have you?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #238
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 106
so what kind of prices are you looking at to build one ?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #239
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
so what kind of prices are you looking at to build one ?
For a turnkey bike using a very low mileage Versys motor and a new or almost new KLR (maybe a new last years model), around $17-18k. My current Versys donor bike has 520mi on it.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #240
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
For a turnkey bike using a very low mileage Versys motor and a new or almost new KLR (maybe a new last years model), around $17-18k. My current Versys donor bike has 520mi on it.
That ought to separate the men from the boys. $6K for the Versys + $6K for the KLR + $6K for the parts and labor. Or however it shakes out. Sounds fair to me, but I'm not sure that's enough. For all that R&D, trial and error, and late nights in the shop, YOU NEED TO MAKE SOME $$$$ !!!!
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote