Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #31
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Good point. I've been planning a heat shield for the section of pipe that runs close to my left leg, but it really doesn't radiate as much heat as I thought it might. I'm going to do it anyway. I should probably put one near the shock, the exhaust is about .5" from the spring, about 1" from the shock body. I have a Progressive shock that I'd like to install, hoping it will clear the exhaust.
KLRsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
I've been thinking about doing this swap ever since I saw a review on the Versys and they remarked how narrow the engine was for a 650 twin. I few years went by and I found myself with an extra KLR. Last fall I decided to seriously look into this and came across RepsolRider's Super Rio thread in this same forum. That's all I needed to see, within a week I had a donor bike in the garage and I got started. I'm not quite finished but I've ridden it a bit now and I'm very pleased with the results so far. It doesn't feel any heavier than my other KLR and it's a lot smoother and faster.

More pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/1135167...472822/KLRsys##

Man thats clean
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,136
Do I understand you right, you turned the throttle bodies upside down?
Awesome, I didn't even know you could do that.
Putting that in my notes.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #34
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Do I understand you right, you turned the throttle bodies upside down?
Awesome, I didn't even know you could do that.
Putting that in my notes.
The goal was to get the manifolds turned upside down which angled the throttle bodies downward a bit. Turned out having the throttle bodies flipped over fixed a problem where the throttle position sensor was hitting the bottom of the tank. I had to redo the cable mount and make a new bell crank (out of three fender washers) but no biggie.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #35
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 443
Nice job!
I like this pic:
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Nice job!
I like this pic:
KLRsys,

OK now put the KLR engine in the Versys chassis!Seriously though; Wow, great job on the KLR build!
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #37
biggyfries
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
You might consider modifying the stock KLR muffler to remove a little weight and possibly improve flow without adding much noise. Cut off the front "fishbelly" part of the muffler leaving only the stock can, less the inside baffle. You would think that much of a reduction in pipe would make it a lot louder, but it is hardly any louder than stock, maybe just a bit lower in tone. Everyone thinks my muffler is stock until they look under the side cover.
I'll take a pic if anyone is interested in seeing a smaller KLR muffler.
biggyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #38
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyfries View Post
You might consider modifying the stock KLR muffler to remove a little weight and possibly improve flow without adding much noise. Cut off the front "fishbelly" part of the muffler leaving only the stock can, less the inside baffle. You would think that much of a reduction in pipe would make it a lot louder, but it is hardly any louder than stock, maybe just a bit lower in tone. Everyone thinks my muffler is stock until they look under the side cover.
I'll take a pic if anyone is interested in seeing a smaller KLR muffler.
I'd like to see a picture or two. I have a spare stock muffler that I can experiment on so I'm interested. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #39
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
I too would like more details on this can surgery, and this bike build
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I too would like more details on this can surgery, and this bike build
Sorry, I missed this. What would you like to know?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #41
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,039
I got some weight savings from a stock R1 Titanium muffler. The bike's still quiet and the weight savings are welcome.

You can fish around on Craigslist and Ebay and see if you can find one. Just my two pennies.

Oh yes, and well done. VERY clean.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #42
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Additions

Couple of additions.

Dakota Digital CRS-3000 cruise control (all electric,no vacuum can)

I know it might seem a bit extreme but I've had real cruise control on two other bikes, a GL1800 and an Electra Glide, and really enjoyed it. I'm planning on riding this thing to Moab at the end of this month, 3k miles round trip, real cruise control will be nice.

Krasniewki mentioned Eastwood had a TIG welder on sale so I got one and made an aluminum skip plate. I don't think it came out too bad considering I've never welded aluminum.

Other progress - As per Dirt Freeak's post I got some exhaust wrap to protect the rear shock from heat soak. I've upgraded the front brake with a 320mm rotor.

I went on a short road trip this past weekend, all pavement, just to shake it down some more before the Moab trip. I'm really liking the extra passing power, no downshifting required. It's highway manners are very un-KLR like. Set the cruise at 75mph, kick back and enjoy the ride. Very little motor noise, much less vibration, power to spare.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #43
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Vice nice! I have cruise control on all my bikes. It's a small bungie cord that came with one of my trail cameras. I just wrap it around the handlebar between the grip and the throttle housing. Works perfectly. Roll it on and off. Oh yeah, don't let anyone else ride your bike with it on there. They tend to freak out!

You've done some great work there KLRsys! That's an impressive bike!

SamM screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 01:25 PM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #44
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the nice words, Sam. It's been a fun and challenging project but I'm ready to start using it for it's intended purpose, riding! BTW, I'm subcribed to your build thread and if there's anything I can do to help, pictures, measurements, brainstorming, please feel free to ask. I know you won't build yours just like mine anymore than I built mine just like Repsolrider's, but I certain got a lot of good ideas from his pictures.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #45
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Thanks! I appreciate that. My build has taken a huge turn and I am basically starting over. A new frame is in the works for my bike now. I've figured out what I think is a better way (for me) to do it. That's not meant to take anything away from your build or any other KLRE650 build. I really like what you have done! One issue that I have had, that you didn't, is that my bike has KX450F inverted forks. There isn't room to gain enough steering lock to make the bike very off-road capable. The forks hit the fuel tank before getting enough lock for tight turns. It has a very limited turning radius. This makes it steer more like a big touring bike. This has been an issue since the bike was first modified with that suspension, back when it still had the stock KLR engine. Up until now, there has been no good way to get around that. Fortunately, I had an epiphony a few days ago. I believe that I have worked that out now.

My plan is to make the bike look like it has a stock frame. Of course, it will be anything but stock. The thin metal used on the KLR frame by Kawasaki also worries me, especially with the more powerful Versys engine. The new frame will address my frame concerns. I do plan to use a few things that I have seen from other builds. I particularly like what you did with the airbox connector box. That's a very cool idea! On repsolrider's build, he used a set of tubes as engine protector/crashbar/light mounts. That was a great use of the tubing for multiple purposes. Things that I would like to add include: canting the engine forward more, and changing the angle of the intake manifolds. A straight shot into the airbox is what I'd like to have with my throttle bodies. A closeup of your shift linkage would be great. I have not purchased a Versys shifter yet. That looks like the way to go.

The new frame will be here in a week or so, I'll post more in my thread as soon as I get something to show.

Thanks!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote