Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #46
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Shift linkage. The pivot bolt on the shifter was also left footpeg mount for the Versys. I cut off the footpeg mount and had someone turn it in a lathe to clean it up. It's mounted to a fabricated 1/4" steel bracket that is bolted between the footpeg and frame. I had to shorten the link rod a lot and move the rear link rod connector to the inside. (In this picture the bracket attached to the engine is upside down).

I used the Versys parts because I already had them, but you might look around a bit and see if you can find a shift lever with a folding toe piece. My daughters XT250 has an identical arrangement though it is a bit short for a Versys tranny (not enough leverage, it's a firm shifting tranny), but I would guess there are other bikes with similar arrangements.

KLRsys screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 06:00 PM Reason: Broken picture link
KLRsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #47
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Progress to date

Since my last post, I've got the Progressive springs & shock in and adjusted, had an old set of aluminum panniers powder coated and mounted, put a larger windshield for the upcoming trip to UT, managed to get the original hand wind guards mounted and added a Powercommander with Autotune to help the ECU deal with the changes to the intake and exhaust. It was running pretty well but but it got lousy mileage, running too rich at highway speed, thus the powercommander. Out of the box I gained 6.5mpg and I think I can do better with some more tweaking. And I did the cheapo muffler mod I saw elsewhere on this forum where you drill out the "tweety" (baffle? spark arrestor?) and weld on a larger tailpipe. It is a bit louder but not much, still can't hear it at all at highway speeds.

Ready to travel... (I hope, 'cause I'm heading west this coming Saturday)

Added a USB charging port to the right of the ignition, powers the GPS and will charge my phone.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #48
Dirt Freeak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post

Other progress - As per Dirt Freeak's post I got some exhaust wrap to protect the rear shock from heat soak. I've upgraded the front brake with a 320mm rotor.

I went on a short road trip this past weekend, all pavement, just to shake it down some more before the Moab trip. I'm really liking the extra passing power, no downshifting required. It's highway manners are very un-KLR like. Set the cruise at 75mph, kick back and enjoy the ride. Very little motor noise, much less vibration, power to spare.

Just thought I would mention this: Air Bake Cookie sheets make REALLY effective heat shields (If you have the room): http://www.airbake.com/

I'm involved in building "Ultra 4" style off road race cars, and we use them around mufflers/ headers to help manage heat.
Dirt Freeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #49
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Freeak View Post
Just thought I would mention this: Air Bake Cookie sheets make REALLY effective heat shields (If you have the room): http://www.airbake.com/

I'm involved in building "Ultra 4" style off road race cars, and we use them around mufflers/ headers to help manage heat.
Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I think I will try one of those between the side of the engine and the exhaust. I wrapped the exhaust near the shock but I didn't want to wrap the side, didn't like the look.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #50
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
Where are you headed in UT? If you are coming up near SLC, I would buy you lunch/dinner to get a good look at the KLRsys, because I am in awe.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #51
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Your bike looks great, well done!

Have a great trip and ride safe.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #52
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Where are you headed in UT? If you are coming up near SLC, I would buy you lunch/dinner to get a good look at the KLRsys, because I am in awe.
The tentative plan is to head for Moab, but it may change depending on weather, the bike, my mood, a better destination. I don't think I want to go as far as SLC but who knows and I certainly appreciate the offer.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #53
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
Your bike looks great, well done!

Have a great trip and ride safe.
Thanks. I should be passing through SA Saturday, may stay in Boerne that evening.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
Thanks. I should be passing through SA Saturday, may stay in Boerne that evening.
Would love to see your bike, I live on the north side and can meet you anywhere.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #55
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
Would love to see your bike, I live on the north side and can meet you anywhere.
PM me contact info and I'll get in touch on the way up.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #56
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Road trip report. Saturday trailered the bike to San Antonio, didn't want to ride through all the rain TX was getting that day. Met up with Multisurface Rider in SA, enthusiastic fellow, hope to do some riding with him on the way back.

Sunday left Boerne TX about 10:30am. Went down I10 to Junction, then northwest towards Lubbock and over to Clovis NM. 7 1/2 hrs, 462mi. Nothing on the bike broke or fell off, no problems at all. Mileage was low 40's but I was not going slow. The GPS showed an average moving speed of 67.7mph for the trip and that includes several small towns at 35-45. I'm pretty happy with the bike so far. Tomorrow I think I'm heading towards Durango through Taos.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #57
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Better in person

Yes, I met him here in SA @ Moto Liberty, nice guy, great job on a great bike and it looked good also. He spent some time and money building this bike and addressed the air box issue that others used sock filters/foam, he built a box to connect to the stock airbox. Modified the stock muffler and it is not to loud and sounds real good.

I would love to do this but my welding skills are not that great. Next week on his way in I am going to meet him somewhere and do some riding in the Hill Country.

Great job!

Ride safe.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #58
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
MSR

improve your welding skills, an hour or so for whatever number of nights it takes,find someone that can critique your welds, do destructive testing on the vise till you get it right, looks is secondary to a proper weld.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #59
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 245
Someone know any corporate people at Kawi to send this build thread to them!?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #60
MiniMotard
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Radiator Location

Hi KLRsys,

Very nice workmanship on your bike. I have a question for you. Did you consider mounting the Ninja radiator vertically in the stock KLR location? I've also noticed that the SuperRio bike had the rad. mounted in the same location as yours so I'm assuming there is a reason.

Thanks,
MiniMotard is offline   Reply With Quote