Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,107
Pissed Can a Li-Ion Drill Battery be "Resuscitated"?

A couple months ago, I spent $150 on a 28-volt Milwaukee cordless tool battery. One fucking battery. A few days ago, I put it to use at work & it got covered with potassium silicate drilling mud. Not immersed, mind you, but covered. It is now graveyard dead: no charge indicator lights, no power, won't take a charge.

Is there ANYTHING short of $150 that'll fix this?

I remember my dad sparking Ni-Cads back to life with a big capacitor when I was a kid-- can something like this be done to this almost-new, hardly-used battery?

It's also got a bunch of tiny torx screws holding the case together: check for loose connections?

Any help appreciated.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,126
reanimating a li-ion battery isn't going to happen, and you won't find a company that will rebuild them for you either because they are too volatile (at least that was the case a couple of years ago when one of my 18V Makita batteries STB).

Two month old Milwaukee? I'd get warranty coverage on it.
Edit: Just reread your post; that mud probably isn't very "battery friendly"... Take it apart and clean it up! Worst case you're out $150. There's lots of electronics in li-ion batteries that are probably a bit shorted together right now.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,139
Warranty!

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/parts-s...aukee-warranty
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
A couple months ago, I spent $150 on a 28-volt Milwaukee cordless tool battery. One fucking battery. A few days ago, I put it to use at work & it got covered with potassium silicate drilling mud. Not immersed, mind you, but covered. It is now graveyard dead: no charge indicator lights, no power, won't take a charge.

Is there ANYTHING short of $150 that'll fix this?

I remember my dad sparking Ni-Cads back to life with a big capacitor when I was a kid-- can something like this be done to this almost-new, hardly-used battery?

It's also got a bunch of tiny torx screws holding the case together: check for loose connections?

Any help appreciated.

You could try these guys too:

http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Gimpinator
Slightly Annoyed

Oddometer: 1,075
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can split the case open and put new cells inside. We've done this successfully with the packs on our Porter Cable cordless drill. It's much less expensive to go this route. Cells are available at BatteryJunction.com:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tener...-1400-opt.html

Just pick the right voltage and you'll probably find a replacement cell with more Amp-hours than the original.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Warranty's not an automatically dishonest option. I'd like to think that you pay 8x for Milwaukee over Menard's "Tool Shop" brand to get a little water tightness for god's sake. I wouldn't hesitate to get it replaced. Let them do their inspection and call the shot. They generally prefer good publicity on these things rather than argue that you shouldn't have gotten it muddy.

I had a little close quarters Milwaukee drill disintegrate its plastic cooling fan one day. Well beyond warranty, but the drill only gets rare (tho handy) use. So it only had a couple of hours on it which was obvious just looking at it. I phoned Milwaukee and made the plea. "I pay 8X more for your stuff, and recommend it to my friends, because I don't expect this to happen". He agreed and told me to mail it in. They replaced the fan and paid postage.

svejkovat screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 12:00 PM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,351
Check these guys out:

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
I had a little close quarters Milwaukee drill disintegrate its plastic cooling fan one day. Well beyond warranty, but the drill only gets rare (tho handy) use. So it only had a couple of hours on it which was obvious just looking at it. I phoned Milwaukee and made the plea. "I pay 8X more for your stuff, and recommend it to my friends, because I don't expect this to happen". He agreed and told me to mail it in. They replaced the fan and paid postage.
This looks like a good option.

Thanks to all.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote