User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Road Glide Wind Management

Looking to maybe buy a big bagger in the very near future. I'd pretty much settled on a Victory XC Tour after a couple test rides confirmed no wind management or roominess for my long legs concerns, but yesterday I got to ogling a new Road Glide. Love the looks and it's not THAT many more $$$ than the Vic', but I've not heard good things about the Road Glide's wind management. Noisy air and helmet buffeting puts it out of the running.
Any owners/past owners care to share their experience?
TIA
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I had to replace the windshield with a Clearview Shield made in Colorado. That made it comfortable.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
The Ultra RG has great wind management as does the Electra GLide Ultra. The FLTRX custom has the stupid short shield but the Madstad brackets make the short shield actually work. On all the HD touring models with lowers the wind is better because a lot of wind is channeled from the tank into the riders chest and face. Without these we see riders with the long beards split and turned up, sort of like Dilbert's tie. HD also offers small wings that attach to the front engine guards which many claim to help but I've never tried them.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback. I've only been able to find road tests of the RG Custom, not the Ultra I'm considering.

I've been on vacation a few weeks and a call in to work held a few surprises, So, I'll have to wait for the new-contract dust to settle before making a move. At this point the company wants to gut medical coverage and buy my pension for pennies on the dollar...
Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
GNR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Reviews -

http://cmgonline.com/rc/content/view/3438/254/

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/...cross-country/
GNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I checked a Custom '12 RG out last week while at OBX. The salesman claimed he has rode it across the long bridges at OBX with an amazing ability to handle the crosswinds.

I didn't ride it but I like them also. Along with the Street Glide the Road Glide sits low for my short legs.

I would be interested in what you decide and what you find out.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 677
I had a road glide and rode it in all sorts of wind. It did get buffeting. But it handled crosswind better than any bike I every had. The buffeting was only on certain situations to.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I don't have personal experience with these, but I understand they really help a lot.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
gararnett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have a RG Custom, and have gone back to the stock shorty screen. I wear a full face helmet (unlike most H-D riders I see) and I like the wind to hit me just above the faceshield. A slightly taller screen causes more buffetting than the shorter one for me. I have been reluctant to go for a really tall screen (14" or taller). I am going to look into the contoured screens H-D offers that also have a flip at the end of the screen. Anyway, no problems for me. I would not have the windscreen of a bike keep me from buying it (any bike) so long as there is a strong aftermarket to give options. Only bad part is the cost of trial and error for multiple screens.
gararnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post

Looking to maybe buy a big bagger in the very near future.
...... but I've not heard good things about the Road Glide's wind management.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

.....why listen to rumors, go for a free ride!

and some HD dealers will throw you the keys without a demo tour date, just ask, HD dealers are totally different from metric dealers.

My mailman asked me if I was on a motorcycle or a Spaceship......

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

DynaSport, I checked today and the RG Ultra comes standard with those deflectors, which I thought was pretty cool.

gararnet, I've been down that road before and am extremely reluctant to spend $24K+ just to start experimenting. In addition to no buffeting, I'd also like to get a quiet air pocket. I know the Victory XC Tour can provide this.

bomber 1965, I hear ya! I tried to get a test ride today, but they were so busy, I couldn't find anyone to help me in the time I could spare. I'm thinking I'll call in advance and make an appointment next time.

There are a lot of things I prefer about the Victory, like the quick disconnect trunk and powerlet features being standard, easier opening and larger bags, adjustable passenger floorboards, easier (for me) to access rear brake, and heated grips standard. For less money. But there is just something about the Road Glide in black I really like, so I'm definitely doing a test ride before throwing down cash.

vicster screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 05:47 PM
Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
1. ride a sportster for 100 miles at 70-80mph on the highway

2. get bike on your road glide

3. the wind is gone

Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

I hear ya, sarge. My other 2 bikes are a Triumph Roadster with a very small, very low screen and a DR650, so I know of whence thou speaketh. Utah's 80mph speed limit made it especially "enlightening".
Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I had a '99 RG. It was the best bike I've ever owned wind wise. I was looking for another one when I found a deal on a EG. Thinking of switching the fairing over. Nothing against Victory but they have gone off the deep end styling wise.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, but styling is so subjective. I realise this must sound odd coming from someone who has admitted it's the RG's looks that has him interested enough to at least take a test ride, but, with the possible exception of the Vision I really like Victory's styling. I think Mike Song is one of the most under rated designers working today. The Vision's styling is certainly polarizing, but it does function well and Victory's apparently the only manufacturer with the guts to stick its toes in the Gold Wing's waters. Harley can't go there. Besides, I owned a '99 and an '02 Victory. Now those were ugly.
Thanks for the feedback on the air management. To me, bikes of this genre are luxury bikes, and quiet air is a huge part of that luxuriousness. Hopefully I'll be able to make a move in a month or so.