Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #76
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
Here's one of my pet peeve myths

1. You need a dual-sport if you are ever going to ride on a dirt/gravel road.
Hmm kinda true, kinda not. You can ride on a dirt road on any bike- I sure did all throughout my youth... HOWEVER when I was on my last bike (CB750 with avon road treads) it was seiously no fun- the thing wandered more than an alziemers paitent with itchy feet. Not having had the same problem with my CB550 years before I asked Doc Brown (where I bought the tires.) and he said that the new tires while way better on the street were not so good with the bike on dirt- he suggested that I could go back to old style tires but I loved the way it cornered so much it seemed a waste. The new bike (TDM 850) while not a true DS is way better on the gravel and I can use 80/20 tires and still corner on pavement. So "can" you? sure. Would you want to is a different question.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #77
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
Hmm kinda true, kinda not. You can ride on a dirt road on any bike- I sure did all throughout my youth... HOWEVER when I was on my last bike (CB750 with avon road treads) it was seiously no fun- the thing wandered more than an alziemers paitent with itchy feet. Not having had the same problem with my CB550 years before I asked Doc Brown (where I bought the tires.) and he said that the new tires while way better on the street were not so good with the bike on dirt- he suggested that I could go back to old style tires but I loved the way it cornered so much it seemed a waste. The new bike (TDM 850) while not a true DS is way better on the gravel and I can use 80/20 tires and still corner on pavement. So "can" you? sure. Would you want to is a different question.
I far prefer my KTM on the dirt but I've never turned around on the Monster when the road has turned to dirt and gravel, just slowed down a bit. I could upload video proof if I need to.
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #78
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
My favorite from non-riders regarding motorcycle safety: "It's all the idiots in cars you have to watch out for".

I should probably just write down my explanation about how most motorcycle accidents are caused by the idiot riding the motorcycle and carry around lots of copies I can hand out. When I discuss this with people, I get the sense they have never in their life heard this. They really think people cutting you off causes most accidents.

Not that it doesn't suck when that happens.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #79
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
I far prefer my KTM on the dirt but I've never turned around on the Monster when the road has turned to dirt and gravel, just slowed down a bit. I could upload video proof if I need to.
yeah I did it... but I just figured a 72 mile route back to my hotel that mixes black top, dirt, and unmaintained roads for me and the Dirt Pony... it would have been hair-raising, bone jarring and nerve wracking on the CB, but on the TDM it's a afternoon joy ride!

Don't get me wrong, every bike has it's place and the CB was a head turner with its large metal flake oarnge tank and slightly rakish naked frame- and for eating miles on the two lane blacktop it was a joy, and great for tooling around town as she could putter along at 35-45 with no effort. The TDM by comparrison is a bit of an ugly duckling (no GS1200 by any means but still), but she eats dirt (as long as it is not mixed with water anyway) and can keep up on the slab better than the CB did.

My favorite myth- helmets make injuries more severe. Maybe like 30 years ago when they weighed a lot more but I know I would way rather be wearing my helmet than not should my head ever strike the pavement.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #80
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
My favorite from non-riders regarding motorcycle safety: "It's all the idiots in cars you have to watch out for".

I should probably just write down my explanation about how most motorcycle accidents are caused by the idiot riding the motorcycle and carry around lots of copies I can hand out. When I discuss this with people, I get the sense they have never in their life heard this. They really think people cutting you off causes most accidents.

Not that it doesn't suck when that happens.
I have been, and still am, under the impression that the #1 accident for motorcyclists is an automoblie violating the right of way of a motorcycle.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #81
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
I have been, and still am, under the impression that the #1 accident for motorcyclists is an automoblie violating the right of way of a motorcycle.
"More than half of motorcyclist deaths involved at least one other vehicle."

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/mo...ssible-causes/

ten_fiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #82
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
When one rides a motorcycle there is NO RIGHT of WAY. There is only Right of Weight.

It is the riders responsibility to avoid the violators and cater to how humans see things.. If they can't they shouldn't be riding IMO
Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #83
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
I was showing my Hit-Air air bag vest to a Harley rider, and how the tether to the bike inflated it when the rider got launched. He asked, "So you pull that just before you lay'er down?"

Quote:
Yep, and that lean transfers through their arm and pushes the bar to counter. The problem is that it's slower than an intentional, knowledgeable countersteer motion.
The problem is when riders that "just lean" get into a situation, they try to steer out of it. Usually they don't have time to set off their Hit-Air vest before they lay 'er down.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #84
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
"More than half of motorcyclist deaths involved at least one other vehicle."
Actually more riders die because they don't know how to steer around corners that they have already entered too fast.

They don't know to push on the bars, they don't know how to brake in the turn, they don't have any idea how sharp their bike can turn or how to turn them the sharpest.
Panic, fixate on the guardrail / rock / pole / tree / car, or whatever, game over.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #85
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Actually more riders die because they don't know how to steer around corners that they have already entered too fast.

They don't know to push on the bars, they don't know how to brake in the turn, they don't have any idea how sharp their bike can turn or how to turn them the sharpest.
Panic, fixate on the guardrail / rock / pole / tree / car, or whatever, game over.
I'm not picking a side, I was just posting what I found from this article. If you have a better link, post it up.

ten_fiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #86
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Here's one I didn't think I saw in here - "motorcycling is cheaper than driving". Sure it can be if you really REALLY budget or ride a scooter, but that rabbit hole just goes on and on.

Also, link is dead.

Quote:
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #87
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
I'm not picking a side, I was just posting what I found from this article. If you have a better link, post it up.

I think maybe my information was from a long time ago. In this day and age of few drivers even trying to pay attention, and a lot of riders not doing much better, the left turner may have surpassed the flying off the corner technique.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #88
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by helion42 View Post
Here's one I didn't think I saw in here - "motorcycling is cheaper than driving". Sure it can be if you really REALLY budget or ride a scooter, but that rabbit hole just goes on and on.

Also, link is dead.

yes it was once
pd less petrol(gas)
less purchase price
simple, rider could fix
less rego costs
less to go wrong
cheaper road tolls
cheap tyres
parts smaller and cheaper
etc,etc

SO WHAT HAPPENED?????????
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #89
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
yes it was once
pd less petrol(gas)
less purchase price
simple, rider could fix
less rego costs
less to go wrong
cheaper road tolls
cheap tyres
etc,etc

for me i stopped drving a car as the cost of insurance was getting way to costly so i sold my car and have been on a bike since were the insurance is nice and cheap so i still save money per year even if my bike uses a bit more fuel.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #90
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
yes it was once
pd less petrol(gas)
less purchase price
simple, rider could fix
less rego costs
less to go wrong
cheaper road tolls
cheap tyres
etc,etc

Depends on your mileage per year and the vehicles in comparison...and mechanical apptituted (aka your own maintenance)

My Speed Triple next to my F-150 when I was commuting 36,000 miles a year, WAY cheaper, the fuel savings between 17 and 45mph made up for the higher maintenance costs, chain, tires (x3 rear x2 fronts).

No my commute is literally like 7k a year, I don't bother commuting on the bike a lot of the time, I live 4 miles from work, I spend more time taking gear on and off than I do actually riding....but if I was year over year, the bike(s) would be more expensive.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote