User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
Lifting bags

Has anybody ever seen a small lifting air bag you could carry on your bike than when you drop it and are by yourself you could pump it up to help lift the bike?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
My bike buying policy is never buy one bigger than I can pick up. Having said that I,ve never heard of such a air bag for personal use, I know the make big ones for lifting trucks and such. bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

So then you must only ride bicycles
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
skyguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
much easier, weighs nothing. 100lbs lifting 550lbs. technique

So, I need to carry a 100-lb girl with me all the time?

I'm okay with that.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
arb, bushranger, etc make lift bags powered by the exhaust. kinda over-kill but if you have the space and a bad back ..
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
So, I need to carry a 100-lb girl with me all the time?

I'm okay with that.
Umm Yes
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
How about a small airbag to put under my skid plate to lift the front tire off the ground to change a tube in the field. Somtimes there are no big rocks around..............
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
How about a small airbag to put under my skid plate to lift the front tire off the ground to change a tube in the field. Somtimes there are no big rocks around..............

http://www.endurostar.com/

To the OP, been thinking about a long pneumatic chipping hammer bit, and a couple pieces of telescoping pipe connected together. Round shank of the bit goes in the steering tube, pipe gets used as a cheater.
You could probably have the pipe do double duty as a trail stand, like above.

There was a recent post on dropped bikes, using rope, setting up a Z-drag, and using a scrounged tree limb as a directional.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

This is why I was thinking of this

I was riding alone and got careless playing in the mud. I can pick the bike most of the time but this was really weird. The wheels were higher than the bike so it was lifting up hill. The more it tried to turn the bike around the more the handle bars dug in to the mud.

So I was thinking of a small air bag about 4 inches in diameter that I could hook up to my best rest tire pump. It would only have to lift the bike about 24" just enough for me to get a grip and lift. it would only have to lift 500 lbs max.

This company makes big ones for rescue operations.

http://editiondigital.net/publication/?i=79524&p=22
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
There is a product called the "Save Your Back Jack" that will lift a fully loaded Harley touring bike. It is very heavy-duty. It weighs a ton, but it will get the job done.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 3,233
I know it sounds stupid but a small shovel or a trowel might have worked in that situation. Dig some small holes where the tires touch the ground and the bike might have been easier to tip upright.
Vanishing Point is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
http://www.endurostar.com/

To the OP, been thinking about a long pneumatic chipping hammer bit, and a couple pieces of telescoping pipe connected together. Round shank of the bit goes in the steering tube, pipe gets used as a cheater.
You could probably have the pipe do double duty as a trail stand, like above.

There was a recent post on dropped bikes, using rope, setting up a Z-drag, and using a scrounged tree limb as a directional.

I have the Endurostar stand. It's awesome. Got it to use on my DRZ400S. I used it last week on a friends KLR when he picked up a nail in his rear tire/tube. It worked perfectly, and we were pushing and pulling on the bike to get the rear tire back in and it never wobbled. (Then we realized how easy it was to get the tire in after we removed the rear brake). Not sure if it will hold up the F800GS but I'm going to bring it to Alaska with me.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
i recentely added this to my kit

I pretty much always travel alone and remote...so far I have no problems picking my klr up, even fully loaded..i get lots of practice
however last year on the TET-s i ended up off and nearly in a very steep and slippery ditch...it got me to thinking about the long walk out if i wasn't able to drag her out...

so in preparation for this summers festivities i picked this up.....

only weighs about 10lbs with all the tackle....its a bit spendy but there is an $80 knock off option with steel rope rather than spectra.

as a bonus......i have 50' of extra hammock hanging line

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
I'm going to assume that the bike is not still on that muddy road, correct? That means you got it back to the upright position without the airbag contraption.

I did a similar thing with my KLR, though it was on hard ground. The difference was the incline was about 40 degrees and ten feet below me was a straight 30 foot drop. It took a lot of effort, some choice words, and possible spotting of my underwear, but I eventually got it upright and back up the hill.

Moral of the story: A lot of the fun of this type of riding is overcoming adversity not with fancy tools, but with hard work and ingenuity. I firmly believe that "adversity" and "adventure" share their first three letters for a reason.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I'm going to assume that the bike is not still on that muddy road, correct? That means you got it back to the upright position without the airbag contraption.

I did a similar thing with my KLR, though it was on hard ground. The difference was the incline was about 40 degrees and ten feet below me was a straight 30 foot drop. It took a lot of effort, some choice words, and possible spotting of my underwear, but I eventually got it upright and back up the hill.

Moral of the story: A lot of the fun of this type of riding is overcoming adversity not with fancy tools, but with hard work and ingenuity. I firmly believe that "adversity" and "adventure" share their first three letters for a reason.

I was meeting a friend and called him to tell him I needed help so when he arrived about 20 mins later we popped the bike no problem.

The point is I wanted to do it myself.. I was looking at that winch. Looked nice and compact.
Vermont Covered Bridges