Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
El Dudeness OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Round the Baltic Pond - do's and don'ts?

Hi everybody!

This summer will be the time where I (or more specific - my girlfriend and I) head east as I'm planning a 9-10 day trip round the Baltic Sea.

The route is roughly set as so:
From Denmark:
South to Germany and in to Poland.
Across northern Poland, visiting the castle in Malbork before heading in to Kaliningrad (yes I will remember to apply for a visa ).

In to Lithuania visiting the Hill of Crosses, on to Latvia and Estonia, where I'll be visiting Tallinn where the Danish flag "allegedly" fell down and "came to life" back in the 1200's.

From Estonia in to Russia, round the gulf og Finland before hitting Helsinki where I'll be staying a day.

After that a small days ride in a half circle round in the southern part of Finland before ending in Naantali and catching the ferry to Sweden where it's basically southwest on to Varberg and the ferry home.

SO.....

Having never been in that neck of the woods I was wondering if there were anybody in here with som intel on things to see and perhaps do on the way? Or in other ways be aware of? I.e. situation on wild camping for example?

Thanks in advance!

(PS....rock on...)
El Dudeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
Kaliningrad & St.Petersburg, that's two entries to Russia, you must check your visa options carefully.

If it's summertime, then the lake district in Finland (roughly between Lappeenranta and Nurmes) is quite nice.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
El Dudeness OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Kaliningrad & St.Petersburg, that's two entries to Russia, you must check your visa options carefully.

If it's summertime, then the lake district in Finland (roughly between Lappeenranta and Nurmes) is quite nice.
Thanks!

Yes I'm aware of the visa situatuation. When I get closer to the time of departure I will contact the Danish Visa Administration so nothing goes wrong.

The route in Finland you write about looks really nice but I'm afraid that the time will not be enough to go up that way. I'm thinking from Helsingfors up to Valkeakoski - Rauma - and back to Naantali. Would that be ok?
El Dudeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
"from Helsingfors up to Valkeakoski - Rauma - and back to Naantali. Would that be ok? "

Yeah, nothing wrong with that, would be good to choose some smaller roads, though.... and for me, the best part of southern Finland is on its eastern side. But you can find some very nice roads in that southwestern area as well.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
novack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Don't forget to book a place in a queue at the Estonia-Russia border (https://www.estonianborder.eu/yphis/index.action).
Keep in mind that Russia-Finland border crossing points are heavily crowded at weekends.
novack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 175
You have a nice plan there.

But (and there’s always the “but”) you might be pushing the schedule with St. Petersburg. It’s a bit of a shame to go over there and just hurry through. If you could find at least a couple of days to spend there it would certainly be worth it.

Baltic Sea in 10 days? Here’s one option to get most out of it with one extra day.

Day 1
Denmark–Malbork

- long day in the saddle

Day 2
Malbork–Kaliningrad

- be prepared to spend a few hours at the border

Day 3
Kaliningrad–Nida

- easy day with time to explore the Curonian Spit

Day 4
Nida–Klaipėda–Šiauliai

- no rush, plenty of time to check out Klaipeda and the Hill of Crosses

Day 5
Šiauliai–Liepāja–Ventspils–Irbene–Kolka–Jūrmal a

- full day of riding, might be too much: if you’re into camping you could camp in Cape Kolka
- Irbene only if you’re into gigantic Soviet-era consctructions, it’s a ghost town with a huge Soviet telescope
- Cape Kolka is really beautiful and fairly quiet area with nice sand dunes, it’t the dividing point of The Baltic Sea and The Gulf of Riga

Day 6
Jūrmala–Riga–Pδrnu–Kuressaare

- the traffic might be quite heavy in Riga but otherwise it’s an easy day
- if Baltic Sea is what you’re after you should definitely check out Saaremaa island, ferries leave every hour or so from Virtsu

Day 7
Kuressaare–Hiiumaa–Tallinn

- spend as much time as you can riding around the small roads on Saaremaa and Hiiumaa (there’s a ferry between the two islands) and then take the ferry from Heltermaa to Rohukόla and ride to Tallinn

Day 8
Tallinn-Helsinki

- day in Tallinn, then an evening ferry to Helsinki

Day 9
Helsinki–Turku–Mariehamn

- day in Helsinki, then off to Turku to catch the evening ferry to Mariehamn, the capital of Εland
- if you have time to spare you should take the old “King’s Road” which follows the coast to Turku
- the ferry arrives in Mariehamn around midnight

Day 10
Mariehamn–Stockholm–Denmark

- ride around Εland for the day, then catch the night ferry to Stockholm

Day 11
Stockholm-Denmark

This way you only need the cheaper single-entry visa to Russia and you'll get to see most of the coast. And maybe leave St. Petersburg and Karelia for you next trip, perhaps?
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I agree with Oldbear.
You can easily spend 2-4 hours on russian borders, both entering and leaving a country. Is it worth it? Therefore I would also suggest to skip St.Petersburg and maybe even Kaliningrad.
It's great advice to visit estonian islands, allthough I'm not sure is it worth to add second island Hiiumaa to plan - there's not much ferries between Hiiumaa and Saaremaa islands and also ferry from Hiiumaa to mainland will take 1,5 hours (and 2 hours between ferries) instead 35min you need to reach Saaremaa. Better take a round trip around Saaremaa or at least western and northern part of it. Ferry schedule you can find from here http://www.tuulelaevad.ee/index.php?lang=en
If you have only 1 day left for Finland, I would also consider night ferry directly from Tallinn to Stockholm and skipping Finland this time. http://www.tallink.com/
Maybe Norway-Murmansk-Karelia-St.Peterburg-Finland next time? Great 10 days trip too.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
swaan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Suggestion for anyone entering Estonia from Riga(E67):

Just before the border there is Neste fuel and fast food, there is a parallel road between E67 and the sea that runs through small villages and merges with E67 before Pδrnu. Its paved, curvy and empty.
swaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
ubaath
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaan View Post
Just before the border there is Neste fuel and fast food, there is a parallel road between E67 and the sea that runs through small villages and merges with E67 before Pδrnu. Its paved, curvy and empty.

I second this - rode it (from north to south) last year. The smaller road is much preferrable over the E67.