User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
catalina38 OP
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,564
KTM emissions label recall 2009,10,11

One of my riding partners and I just got letters from KTM USA for a emissions label recall for 2009/10/11 990s. It is a voluntary recall except in California where you won't be able to register the bike with out the new label and certificate. It doesn't mention a smog equipment inspection but I'll call my local dealer this week and see what they know

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 786
all KTM's ?

I think it is most/all KTM's since I got that letter too for my 09 530. But since it's voluntary I don't think it will have any affect on the registration. Maybe if trying to bring an out of state bike in then maybe they will look for it. I don't know but I think I'll have it done just to avoid a possible problem in the future.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
The letter also says stuff like "your right to participate in future recalls" and the kicker " failure to do so could legally be determined to b a lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle." Might as well get it done.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Cool2 TB1204 Emissions Compliance Sticker Recall

From the KTM TB1204 Bulletin:

"KTM North America in conjunction with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is
conducting a voluntary emission label recall involving the above listed models. A printing
error may be found on the Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and Evaporative
Control (EVAP) labels, stating the wrong engine, permeation and evaporative families.
Replacement of the labels is mandatory and must be done to ensure proper compliance
with government regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
But since it's voluntary
KTM is voluntarily participating with California (not you)... as opposed to being ordered. It is mandatory (for us dealers) that the customer is contacted and the stickers are replaced

Quote:
I don't think it will have any affect on the registration. Maybe if trying to bring an out of state bike in then maybe they will look for it. I don't know but I think I'll have it done just to avoid a possible problem in the future.
The TB1204 recall to replace your sticker might not seem like a big deal but many states now require this sticker to be on the vehicle to be inspected by DMV officer or qualified State Inspection station (in some cases yearly). Those that don't currently will be soon as each state moves into national compliance with emissions & registration on the DMV National Database, and of course, legislates another way to hit us with a fee or penalty. So registration & renewal now is affected as well as selling the bike later.

In some cases, a photograph will do with it in position on the frame. There have been inmates in trouble when they tried to register the bike and their cables/hoses have rubbed the printing off the sticker or destroyed it altogether. I wrap mine with high-quality 3M clear packing tape to protect it for future use...

Quote:
I think it is most/all KTM's
The vehicles covered are indeed over several year span however it in no way is "most/all". We've sold hundreds of bikes over the span of this recall and have less than 20 vehicles that fall under TB1204.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 315
Emissions Label recall

I just called my dealer and was told that this is only a sticker swap deal. There is no inspection. They did require an appointment, and the swap should take 20-30 minutes. The dealer is Thousand Oaks Powersports. Sounds simple enough. (This will be the only time this particular service department ever sees my bike).

2009 SE
Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
catalina38 OP
Contrarian

" Important message for California residents
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires vehicle emissions label recalls be completed prior to California registration renewal. Uncorrected emission label recalls will result in the inability to renew your California vehicle registration.
At the time of emission label recall completion, your California authorized KTM dealer will issue a "Proof of correction certificate".
Keep this certificate and if required present it the Department of Motor vehicles when renewing your registration as proof of recall completion."

I had a similar recall happen to a Ford diesel I used to own, for a required ECU reflash for California emissions.
At the time some owners weren't happy with the trucks performance after the reflash so many owners didn't have it done and the California DMV and CARB held up registration renewal until completed.

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
catalina38 OP
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
I just called my dealer and was told that this is only a sticker swap deal. There is no inspection. They did require an appointment, and the swap should take 20-30 minutes. The dealer is Thousand Oaks Powersports. Sounds simple enough. (This will be the only time this particular service department ever sees my bike).

2009 SE
Good news, sticker only

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post

2009 SE
Sticker swap? Why can't they just put the new one on top of the old one?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
SF_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
because...

this would make sense. And we can't have the state involved and have it make sense too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Sticker swap? Why can't they just put the new one on top of the old one?
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,069
It's the stupidest thing I've heard as far as recalls go. Most affected models are several years old by now. It would have been easier to just tell whomever "if you see this, it's wrong. Use these numbers.".
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
It's the stupidest thing I've heard as far as recalls go. Most affected models are several years old by now. It would have been easier to just tell whomever "if you see this, it's wrong. Use these numbers.".

But then how would CARB justify their continued existence?
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,420
Just called on mine.

"Oh yeah, we have those in stock, no problem..."

The dealer is an hour away, so we will see.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
DLH
Lurch the Lurker

Oddometer: 58
Yeah...I got the notice as well.
I guess I'll take hours out of a day to go down and have the dealer put a new sticker on. I know this is very important to assure clean air standards.

DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Try a 9 hour round trip to my closest dealer! Send me the sticker! I think I can handle it from there...

Will have to see if they will be willing to do that...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,088
Done

There are (4) four stickers on the bike--(3) three under the seat & (1) under the right side tank. guess which one need to be replaced

Yep the 15-minute replacement sticker takes 2.5 hr from arrival at dealer to completion for CARB compliance.

& heres the kicker you have to have the sticker verified for VIN# then KTM overnites the sticker to the dealer for replacement, so two trips to the dealer just so the commiefornia bikes can be registered on the left coast.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is online now   Reply With Quote