Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Need some help, City Nav is putting an error in my route

Trying to get the final TAT stuff organized and I had some changes to make in my routing. Now when I try to put all the separate route sections (about 35 of them) into one route (join) it works, but City Navigator is making two sections some sort of "loop". Could be because maybe a section or two don't completely connect? I've zoomed in all the way and haven't found that...not sure what it is. It's really going to screw me up.

If someone is a REAL wiz at this, you can help me send my files to you and we can work on it together. Might only take a wiz about 5 minutes to fix it. I've worked for a few hours. Sigh...
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
I do occasionally find map defects in City Navigator that cause the behavior you are seeing.

I just create one route up to the defect and then another one just past it.

I convert the routes tracks and join the tracks.

Or else I just create one route, convert to a track, and delete the bogus loops from the resulting track.

I find that if I zoom way way in I can usually see the missing segment. But I usually don't bother since I know what the problem is now.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
How about converting the individual route segments into tracks, then combine the tracks into one big track and use that? I've never seen a GPS that could be trusted not to recalculate a route (which is after all what auto-routing is supposed to do, make decisions for you)

Routing is great for getting from point A to point B on the fly or designing a track at home but that's about it. Even just combining routes lets the GPS make the decisions about how it can "improve" it for you. ;)
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,079
For many years I have used pre-planned routes on multi-week trips and have never had a problem. I don't bother with tracks.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
For many years I have used pre-planned routes on multi-week trips and have never had a problem. I don't bother with tracks.
Maybe im doing it wrong then. I don't recall having an issue with routes on pavement but quite frequently run into issues when the desired route is off pavement, even with no avoidances set. Given that the op is doing the TAT I'd guess the possibility of the GPS routing off the desired route in spots exists. I know my unit would try to be overly helpful in that regard.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

THAT is a very interesting perspective.

I have worked really freakin' hard to get tracks converted to routes, then error checked a million times (getting rid of mistakes or stuff I don't care about in the process - ie like one section in OK that is a flat boring stairstep/zig-zag just to avoid a few miles of pavement...I'll just ride the pavement there...)

Now after this thread (why didn't I start it earlier?!) I wonder if all that work was stupid. Maybe the track is simply the best way. Oof! I certianly don't want the unit to rethink things for me.

But...my routes are based off of tracks, with their thousands of data points. So my routes are like this .---.---.--...-..-...-..-...--...----.---...-.-. not like .---------------.-------------------.--------------.---------- if you know what I mean. Wouldn't that make a difference? Add a lot of fidelity to my routes so they don't take me way off where I want to be?

Since I have so many points in my routes, could I just do direct routing, or Off Road with no lock on road and be ok? I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to bring the tracks as well, then if it didn't work out switch to following tracks... Thoughts?
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 09:36 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
THAT is a very interesting perspective.

I have worked really freakin' hard to get tracks converted to routes, then error checked a million times (getting rid of mistakes or stuff I don't care about in the process - ie like one section in OK that is a flat boring stairstep/zig-zag just to avoid a few miles of pavement...I'll just ride the pavement there...)

Now after this thread (why didn't I start it earlier?!) I wonder if all that work was stupid. Maybe the track is simply the best way. Oof! I certianly don't want the unit to rethink things for me.

But...my routes are based off of tracks, with their thousands of data points. So my routes are like this .---.---.--...-..-...-..-...--...----.---...-.-. not like .---------------.-------------------.--------------.---------- if you know what I mean. Wouldn't that make a difference?

Since I have so many points in my routes, could I just do direct routing, or Off Road with no lock on road and be ok? I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to bring the tracks as well, then if it didn't work out switch to following tracks... Thoughts?

that sounds too complicated, can your gps just display the track/route/whatever-we're-calling-it on the screen and zoom according to your current speed ? that would pretty much rock and be easy peas.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

There is a distinct difference between a route and a track. That's what's driving the whole issue, really.

Anyone willing to take a look at my files and see where it's going wrong?

SR1 screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 09:53 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
1) There is a distinct difference between a route and a track. That's what's driving the whole issue, really.

2) Anyone willing to take a look at my files and see where it's going wrong?

1) look outside the way garmin units handles one vs the other for tracks and routes. the rest of the world just plots the points on a map and doesn't care how they were generated, or how they will be used when displayed next time..... this is a little hard to explain to someone used to garmin and basecamp, until they try it, and see. :)

2) coffee's brewing, send some tracks over, or a link. i'll show you what i mean on my android. maybe it will help explain what i'm trying to say. :)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Ok, I'll try to send you something tonight, but I think what you're talking about is either developing a route, or doing something off-Garmin totally, which is not what I want to do.

What I've decided to do, I think, is split the route at the trouble spot. If I don't join two particular sections, I can join the other 34 on one side and the 1 on the other (the issue is at the end of the first section.) I'll just ride that and then switch routes.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,697
First thing - anyone who is going to help you diagnose a route problem must have the same version of City Nav that you have. If they try to fix it in another version, chances are really good that both they and you will have problems loading/using it.

You are correct in your assumption that there are either problems connecting your individual routes, or that City Nav has routing issues. There is a section of road nearby that has a join problem in City Nav and every time I travel through it, it loops me off the exit ramp, back an exit, and back on again. I just recognize it and ignore it when I travel through the area.

I may have missed it, but what GPS are you using? There are limits in how many waypoints each unit can handle. There are difference between waypoints and shaping points, which are created when you drag/drop the route to get what you want.

There are also limits in the number of routes that that can be loaded. If you're having problems, try joining fewer individual routes and load them and see how they act. Then add another, load, and test. You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #12
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Wow, I might have actually just fixed it. You guys certainly helped.

What I did:

I located all the trouble spots (there were only a few), then took the original track sections and joined them. I did this in another "list" without any other data in that list. Without the big purple lines of the route overlaid on the tracks, I was able to see a few gaps, and some overlaps. A-HA!

So, slowly and carefuly I piece-mealed the 15 sections of tracks (the bad sections were interwoven) back together without the pesky routes above. And then created new routes that spanned the gaps I'd found. Finally I joined all those tracks and finally I converted them to routes (keeping my tracks of course!)

Every I needed to zoom in and error check hundreds of miles of trail to make sure I didn't screw it up.

After several (ok, many) cycles of this, I finally got it down to TWO routes. There's still one flaw, but it's just not worth my time to keep chasing it, so I have two routes instead of one, and with the two, the error doesn't occur. Good enough. BTW, my error is exactly where the Natchez Trace crosses the TAT.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Congratulations. Sounds like you found a workaround.

There is not much you can do about fixing a map defect in City Navigator.

You can check your version vs the latest one available. Sometimes Garmin does fix these things. I don't know if Garmin will let you download a new version without charging an update fee.

A couple of years ago a couple of us were trying to plan an ad hoc bailout during a ride. The map on my Montana had a defect and I couldn't get thru it to where we wanted to go. A friend didn't have the defect. We somehow checked versions and his version was later than mine.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote