ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
It would be very interesting to see the inside of one and compare it to the inside of a standard Montana, to see if any hardening is apparent.
Why would BMW riders need the gps hardened? The ride to Starbucks is hardly a difficult one.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
If I was to do it again I would probably use silicone instead of hot glue. Either way it's still going strong :-).
I'd use Goop. I've had really good luck using Goop to seal the circuit board contact side of my WarmNSafe Heat Trollers. Goop is very strong but can be taken off with a heat gun if necessary, and it has no Acetic Acid like some silicones have in them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
The problem glue caused in TV's over the years were always bad solder connections. The glue would expand and contact with heat and it's amazing the damage it caused and still does with the new Chinese flat panels. If it works on a GPS that is fine, but if you do use any type of glue, only glue the edges, don't put any under the parts, or goop it over multiple little parts on the board.
I spent many a hour over the years getting glue off boards. Something as simple as a candle burning and the wax drips on a board would render the board useless over time because every part the wax is dripped over would eventually break loose of the board.
I guess none of this most likely applys to GPS units, but just my own experiences over the years in the electronics tech worthless industry.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
ARFF
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Round 2, my refurbished unit almost lasted a year. This time it wasn't the antenna that came off, but one of the four tiny battery connections inside that broke off. Garmin was very good with warranty last time and we will see if they come through this time. If I get another refurbished unit I will take out the rechargeable battery when it is in the bike mount. I think there is just too much vibration for this unit to handle.
ARFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFF View Post
Round 2, my refurbished unit almost lasted a year. This time it wasn't the antenna that came off, but one of the four tiny battery connections inside that broke off. Garmin was very good with warranty last time and we will see if they come through this time. If I get another refurbished unit I will take out the rechargeable battery when it is in the bike mount. I think there is just too much vibration for this unit to handle.
The new'er units have a thicker "butt-pad" for the battery and some new'er batteries have tape on the contact end telling you that "this end goes in first". That tape also helps to reduce the side-to-side motion of the battery. I still put a piece of electrical tape on the contact-end sides to reduce side play as much as possible. That seems to help quite a bit but...if your bike is a vibrator, removing the Lithium Rechargeable is a good idea. Just run with AA's when you're out on the trail incase you want to take the unit out of the Rugged Mount.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #21
ktmpunter
freefall guru

Oddometer: 74
Im on my third unit...

My first one had this issue after two rides......Garmin were good and replaced it under warranty.
Second one did it after 4 rides but they didn't replace it charged me AUS$290,00 as it was out of warranty as I hadn't been riding much during that year,.

Appreciate the advice on the fix ,if ive got to fill it with chewing gum or whatever it takes I will...! Hate losing good track because it fails, or getting lost because it fails......

Mine is mounted on a rugged mount on top of the handelbars on a ram mount. I don't go slow on the bumps though.....
cheers
Catman